1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info on EAA Witness 1911 Auto

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by darwinbene, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

Been thinking about buying a pistol for general protection. Traveling more with wife and trailer and never know what kind of sicko's there might be out there.
    Looked at an EAA Witness made by European American Armory in a S&W .40 cal. Anyone out there know anything about these guns and are they reliable? Don't know that much about any manufacture other than Colt and Smith & Wesson. The particular model I looked at is new with 3 dot sitghts, slots for laser sight attachement, one 15 rd clip, and it felt balanced.

Thanks in advance for any info, Darwin

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I'm not familiar with that one but if you go to www.1911.org, there will be a wealth of 1911 type information on there. It is the ts.com of 1911's. John

3. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Don't buy it till you shoot it first. I have one. It shoots about four inches low at 25yds. Someone has already added a higher rear sight to compensate. I have been told that this is not uncommon in the EAA witness. I bought mine used and it's going back to EAA next week to see if anything can be done.

Good luck,
    Shawn

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I think that these pistols are made by Tanfoglio in Italy. I have a 9mm 16 shot semi-auto made by Tanfoglio in about 1984. It's called the TZ-75. It's very similar to the CZ-75 which, at one time, was considered perhaps the best double action / single action 9mm ever made. (The first shot is DA. The following shots are SA).

I have no complaints at all with my TZ-75. The quality is excellent and accuracy is good. I'm pretty sure that the EAA Witness is simply the same pistol with perhaps slightly different cosmetics and a different name. My pistol was imported by FIE in Miami, FL. I think that another company (EAA) has bought out FIE but they are still in the business of importing firearms. If I wanted a full sized semi-auto pistol with DA/SA capability and a large magazine capacity, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a EAA Witness if it's made by Tanfoglio.

5. melie

melie Guest

Darwin,

Buy a Glock. They go bang every time and never need cleaning.
    Well, almost never.

take care,
    Mark

6. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

I have owned one and a friend has several of them along with the CZ. The EAA 40 cal can be found in double/single action and is a very good quality gun. Still made out of metal and not the typical plastic guns like a Glock which to me is a piece of junk that I would not carry on or off duty.

I had no reliability issues and the gun fired where I pointed it all the time. If you can afford one I would suggest a Sig, Kimber and then a H&K. The .357 sig round is the best at this point followed by the .40 cal. and suggest that you find Corban ammunition with it.

7. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

I have owned one and a friend has several of them along with the CZ. The EAA 40 cal can be found in double/single action and is a very good quality gun. Still made out of metal and not the typical plastic guns like a Glock which to me is a piece of junk that I would not carry on or off duty.

I had no reliability issues and the gun fired where I pointed it all the time. If you can afford one I would suggest a Sig, Kimber and then a H&K. The .357 sig round is the best at this point followed by the .40 cal. and suggest that you find Corban ammunition with it.

8. Madmark

Madmark TS Member

The Witness line of pistols are very well made. They are not 1911's. They are Italian made by Tanfoglio, called the TZ-75, a clone of the CZ-75 from before the CZ's could be imported to the US. Jeff Cooper held the CZ style pistols in high regards. I shot them in IPSC (USPSA), but they are popular in IDPA as well. I currently have two, one will print around 2" at 50 yards. (yes, measured yards) They are not too well suited to trap, as a 6" barrel is the longest offered. Go to http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx , do a search, and read what the guys who have shot 100's of thousands of rounds through them have to say.

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

if you are going to use it for personal protection get a wheel gun they dont fail and if your wife has to use it she will know how when i train for CC class i only show a simi auto to teach then i hide it and stay with a revolver i know hand guns well and i dont carry a auto for P P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.