1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

INFO on Dodge 1 ton dually

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by hounddog41@charter.net, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

I recently posted a tread about mileage on a dodge one ton dually. Well I bought the truck 2011.. Checked the first tank 221.2 miles took 17.3 gallons of fuel. Blended no 1&2. Set cruise at 70MPH. Got 12.7. Not happy. Truck has only 11,000 miles. Now Im trying to get the proper height on the fifth wheel hitch. The truck sits kinda high in the rear. I set the fifth wheel hitch at the center adjustment, turned out too low. I moved it back up to 17" top adjustment in hight and now seems to be OK. Its in storage so cannot really get a good look at how high the trailer sits in relation to the truck. Seems to be OK. I pull a 38 ft. Jayco Designer, Weighs 11800 lbs dry. Anyone had any experience with adjusting the fifth wheel hitch? I have one adjustment left on the pin box can go down about 1.5". Take out factory overloads to lower the rear of the truck or lower the axels on the trailer to raise the trailer. I may also have to have slider hitch . Not sure yet until I get it out on the hiway, and make some turning moves. Anyway Im hoping for 10 MPG towing, I got about 11.5 with my Duramax. any help in adjusting the hitch etc, would be deeply appreciated. Thanks alex Kotter

2. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Houndog, what I did to adjust mine was to set it in the middle, back up to the trailor, mine is a Montana 37 ft. I put the trailor to the hitch and be sure the last thing you do is to lock the kingpin and shake it to make sure it's locked. Then I moved the trailor a bit forward and back in my driveway its real level in that spot and just get out and look at it. My hitch was one adjustment high and I set the front feet down took the weight off the hitch, moved the hitch and checked it out again. They tell me that when you are moving down the road level is best. You will have the best control of your rig and the axels of the trailer will have equal weight on them so they don't put undue stress on the front or back tires. My truck is also a dually Dodge and it's a one ton diesel You are getting about the best mileage that you can without adding a programer to your truck. I bought mine at Scheids Diesel Service in Effingham Illinois. Keep those guys in mind if you need work done to that diesel.

Houndog I also have my hitch centered about 1 inch forward of dead center on the back axel. A fella I work with has pulled fifth wheel trailers for forty years and told me best to put it there. When I'm going down the road I can't tell the trailer is there and it is slightly heavier at 13800 than yours. Hope this helps you out. Dan

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Why are you blending 1 and 2? That is not helping your mileage. If you worried about fuel gelling add some power service.I have the same truck. Get 14 empty 8.7 towing a 40' toy hauler. Aftermarket stuff is out there to up mileage to around 20 but voids warranty. I have been running Dodge diesels since 92 have had 5 so far. The 95 was the best one of the bunch. Bill

4. hounddog41@charter.net

Thanks Bill for the info: Yeah I used some of that 911 stuff in my Duramax, dont know if it helped the mileage but was supposed to be good for the injectors. Filled up again today and got 10.7 all town driving. 148 miles and 14.8 gal of fuel. We get pretty cold here and I really dont drive it much in the winter. If you get 8.7 towing a 40 footer I should get maybe the 10 that Im hoping for, pulling my 35ft jayco designer. weighs 11800 dry. I talked to a fellow locally that has the same 2011 only a long box and he says he has got 6000 miles on his and he says about 10 towing a big trailer and 15 hiway light at about 60MPH. I got the highest 22.7 with my duramax and ll.5 towing. From what I hear the one ton duramax may be getting a little better mileage but using DEF. I dont need it with my 2011. Have you ever had any tranny problems with the dodges? Today I filled and put in 5 gallons of No1 and finished off with the no. 2. What is this power service, who makes it etc. Can you get it at the Wal-marts? Anyway you could email me direct. Thanks again and you have a nice holidays. alex Kotter

5. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

From what I have been told:

Walmart carries the Diesel Service-- Diesel Kleen (sp)

This stuff ups the cetane rating depending upon how much you add to your tank.
    I think it is one ounce to 1 1/2 gallon of fuel bumps the cetane rating up 8 points. Helps to keep the injectors clean. tried it in my VW tdi and it got better milage. Also used Chevron fuel (rated highest cetane rating around these parts of AZ).

I put a Quadzilla milage max on my 2004.5 Dodge 1 ton dually and it is now getting better mileage. It is just for mileage not is much for power. I think it bumped the hp up 25 and tq up 40#. Main thing is the better mileage. Less smoke under hard acceleration getting on to the freeway with the Diesel Kleen in the tank on the Dodge.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My poor old Super Duty gas V-10 only gets 12-13mpg with a tailwind running solo... but gets 9mpg towing my trailer so thats not so bad...but even with the higher price fuel you guys are doing pretty darn good considering the weight your dragging( my trailer is about 6800 wet)...I guess its all relative

7. hounddog41@charter.net

Capt Bud: What the heck is a quadzilla mileage max? Is this like a chip and does it affect the warranty? thanks alex

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Yes this is a programmer and if something serious failed on your powertrain the programmer would void the warranty. All programmers will leave a foot print on the newer pickup's PCM and can be detected.

9. DB3006

DB3006 Member

Hounddog,

Just so you know 911 is for emegency use only. Only use it when you gell up. As for everyday use fuel additives Stanadyne Performance Formula is the best on the market. You will not only notice that your engine runs better it will help with milage. I also recomend a cold air intake kit. Helps the engine breathe better thus increasing milage and performance. Many different brands to choose from such as K&N and ATS. Dave

10. kenf

kenf Active Member

Sounds like you need a tuner and an open exhaust. They will more than pay for themselves. Some diesels like my 6.0 Ford get their best mileage turned clear up. My 2005 averages 20 mpg when I can stay out of it.

Keep an eye on the front end. The Dodges like to eat ball joints and tie rod ends. Not sure about the trans wither, but a friend of mine had his rebuilt and replaced 3 times in 50K. Truck is daily driven with no mods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.