1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

INFO ON A KS-5

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mastiff711, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

Was wondering if someone could tell me what the difference is between a KX-5 and a KS-5 to clarify a discussion and what years did Krieghoff make the KS-5. Thanks for any info!

Stacey

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The KS-5 was released in 1985. A rib adjustable for POI by changing muzzle hangers was standard and there were two different standard engraving patterns - the earliest guns had some scroll engraving around the edges of the receiver sides while most had the KS-5 "logo" receivers. Early guns were available with blued or nickeled receivers but later guns only came in brushed nickel. A KS-5 Special followed, which included a rib that could be adjusted without changing hangers and an adjustable comb. In 1994, the receiver styling changed from flat-sided to the scalloped-sided version that carried forward to the KX-5. I believe KS-5 production ceased in 1999.

The KX-5, which was released in early 2002, was a KS-5 Special with a trigger shaped like a K-80's that was adjustable for fore-aft position, vertical rib pickets instead of the KS-5's slanted ones, its own receiver engraving patterns (a very few KX-5s had a target on the receiver sides), choke tubes as standard equipment (fixed or tubed barrels were available for KS-5s) and a push-button forend release instead of the KS-5's more traditional lever. The last KX-5s were made in 2009.

Both are nearly unbreakable and the "5" in the model name reflects the number of moving parts in the action; a release trigger adds one more. One unique feature of both guns that some users dislike (but I much prefer) is the action cocking method. Instead of the hammer being cocked when the action is opened, moving the top lever cocks a KS/KX-5's hammer. The lever is longer and has a larger thumbpad than most other guns' for that reason.

Ed

3. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

Ed thanks so much for the info! I have a KX-5 and my brother-in-law was wondering what the difference was between it and a KS-5 and you gave me the answers to everything we were wanting to know.

Stacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.