1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info needed on throwing knives

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Son is interested in throwing knives for his birthday. Any suggestions on a starter kit? Is this do able in our unfinished basement? He skateboards down there. What the heck is he going to throw into and how can we insure it's safe?

Thanks, Joe

2. oz

oz Active Member

How old is your son. this can be dangerous. why not try throwing hand grenades? oz

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

You might want to make sure you have a pretty stable youngster on your hands. That could come back to haunt you, if he became good enough to hit you from across the basement. I would try to get him into magic, or something of that nature instead.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Joe, seriously, why is your son wanting to learn to do this? You as others said may want to find out if there is an underlying motive. This is not a common interest for most today.

Now back at your question. My best set was custom made and said maker is long gone. If you decide to proceed at first I would by an inexpensive set to see if he is really interested. You can spend serious dollars for a good set.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Question: Do you have copper water piping in your "unfinished basement"?

If the answer is yes, do you have a sump pump?

6. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

Take a look at the link above. Alot of good info. Neil

7. joe kuhn

I appreciate the concern. Johnny is into any and every sport possible. He doesn't remember how he got interested. We did watch a Rob Dierdeck (skateboarder) show where they were throwing hawks at a target. Maybe that's where. He searches online for whatever interests him including regular sports like hockey, trick basketball shots, R/C helicopters, etc. I think his motivation is sports sided.

The copper tubing comment is right on. That is a big concern. (Gulp)

Thanks for the link Neil.

Joe

8. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

Joe, Cold Steel has a real nice(extremly sharp) throwing knife for about $20 each. I'll check what brand my three favorite knives are. I have a throwing axe by Condor that cost about $30(also very sharp). I made my target board out of a 3/4" sheet of plywood with 3- 5" thick slices of cottonwood screwed to it with heavy lag screws. I wouldn't recommend practicing indoors. It is something that you and your son could do together. Take care. Neil

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I learned at an early age ,,, its fun the blades i used 35 yrs ago are not around any more,, but i made drink money in some old time wood floor bars,,,country and biker,,, drop a flip top or a dollar bil behind me,, on sound or signail , would turn and throw,, one motion ,, hit 24 out of 25 times,,, some times there were more intresting bets involving dart boards,,,,but those are for a latter time

10. joe kuhn

The very sharp comment is very, very important. Thanks. We'll see about outside practice in the spring. He's had his mother's butter knives down in the basement and rittled my last pattern cardboards to shreds. Are there dull versions like target arrow tips versus hunting tips?

11. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I have posterd a link above that has a few to choose from. I have a set of the Boker Ziel knives on the first page. They are heavy-duty knives that will last a long time. And yes, some are just pointed and not sharpened on the sides. Have fun. Neil

12. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I wouldn't say it's unusual for a boy to think throwing knives are cool. In fact, I find it harder to believe that most any outdoors boy would not want to give a try. I and several of my friends started doing it in our teen years. None of us kept up with it, but it was fun for a little while.

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Yeah Joe, playing with throwing knives is dangerous, not safe and normal like playing with guns.

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Joe,

Don't let the wife learn. If she is lending him butter knives it is not a good omen.

Actually, it sounds like a neat skill to develop. Low cost too compared to having the boy take up shooting.

Don Verna

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

It's not as sexy, but how about darts?

16. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Joe: nothing wrong with him learning how to throw a knife. If he starts now he should be good enough to actually hit something within about 5 years if he practices daily. And you never know if the skill won't come in handy some time.

Cold Steel has some decent ones for not that much money. But,,,,

He really needs a bunch of them to get any good. Otherwise you spend all your time retrieving the ones you just threw. If you have fifty or so you only retrieve once every fifty or so, instead of every 3 or so. See my point?

You could come up with a good design or scalp a design you like off an existing knife. Then take it to a local sheet metal outfit and have "many" cut out of a piece of steel sheet by a CNC laser. 3/16 or 1/4" sheet should be fine.

You could probably get 50 to 100 out of a 4x4 piece of sheet. They would end up costing $2-3 ea in those quantities. You could grind edges on them as you saw fit or not. For what he is doing not having an edge is not a handicap. The knife only goes into the wood about 1/2" at most.

For a target the accepted norm is a round slice of a tree. Obviously the bigger the tree the bigger the target. About 8-12" thick will just about last forever. The knives stick in the end grain much easier than they do in cross grain, so that's why they use a "slice".

It is the same way a dart board is made, speaking of which, he might want to look into darts, because there is alot more money in darts nowadays than there ever was throwing knives. I have a good friend that just won $5000 at a big dart tournament in LV 2 weeks ago. He was way down the list too. The actual winner of the whole match got $50K! Makes you want to stay at home and drink beer and throw darts don't it?

Good luck on this one. It's something I never mastered. I would have to rely on "divine guidance" if I needed to survive by throwing a knife at something.

May the Force be with you!

Randy

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I used to break the tips on all my good blades throwing at tree trunks when I was a kid. Being a country boy, this was one of our pastimes.

18. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Joe, look for inexpensive throwing knifes at Big 5 Sporting goods. JIM

19. joe kuhn

Thanks Big Jim. We got him a dart board insted. Much more manageable from my perspective and he's having a good time with his friends. Got him a lighter second set of darts already. Six seems like a good number. Lots of videos on line to look at. I'm not very good. If I'm going to focus on consistency to that fine of a detail I'd rather be shooting trap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.