1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info Needed on Shot Barrier

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GoldEx, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I'm in the process of investigating cost and feasibility for a shot barrier at our two trap club in MI. I have already spoken to Bill Jeffers in CA, the guy who wrote the article back in April of 2000 for Shotgun Sports on radical shot barriers. I recently saw an article on the internet regarding a similar screen in Billerica. I am assuming MA, but the article just said the club was in the NE. Not a lot of other info was given other than the prices they paid for the materials. Does anyone know anything about this club? The article said the screen was only put on one trap field. Don't know if they only have the one or if they just had to put it on one. Material is a green nylon. I would like to speak with someone at this club who might have been involved with its construction to get the names of some suppliers for the materials etc. and to possibly visit the club in person. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff Klueger
    Howell Gun Club
    Howell, MI

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. blooper

blooper TS Member

the word to search is "shot curtains" ...i read about a series of poles that were erected and these curtains were pulled up by a cable....but i can't find it now, maybe it was in trap & field

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Jeff, yes the Billerica in question is in Mass. I shot there two weeks ago, and they are in the process of replacing the barrier with a new and better "fabric" if you are interested, I can put you in touch with those in the know from Billerica- Frank C.
    Andover Sportsmans Club , also in Mass has a barrier as well, do a search of their website, you can find the Trap chairmans name there, it escapes me presently.
    www.andoversportsmensclub.org then click on the trap range and scroll down on the blank page...

5. Frank C

xxxstepsavah@yahoo.comxxx

drop the xx's

6. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Thanks a bunch Frank. Is the email the contact at the club in Billerica?

Jeff

7. Frank C

nope, mine, I will make a ph call tomorrow for the email address....

8. Frank C

Jeff, you have mail

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

As many times as this is brought up, maybe someone in that region would snap some photos and maybe give a run down on materials needed/recommended.

Distance set from the trap.

Minimum height and width.

Maintenance requirements.

10. Frank C

Joe, currently Billerica Mass is in the process of reinstalling new nets. I have shot at two other clubs in Mass. that have nets, Andover Sportsman's Club and Tewksbury Rod and Gun. You can see pics of Andover on their web site. Tewksbury is either in the process or is planning to redo their net soon, they also have a pic on their website, go to facilities, then Trap (it appears to be a distant view). In all three cases, the location (distance) of the net was different. In Tewksbury, in my opinion the net is too close, and it gives the feel that you have to shoot quick before it hits the net, even though it is not close to the net, just sort of an optical illusion. the location would really depend upon the local terrain, and the reason for the net, ie keeping shot out of water etc. Or just trying to reclaim shot etc. the next time the Greater Lowell Trap League takes me to Tewksbury and Billerica I will snap some pics and post.-Frank C.

11. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Please keep this thread up to date with your findings. The club I am in is looking for shot curtains as well. We found a club in California that hung used conveyor belt for shot curtains. I will try to get info on it.

12. Frank C

Wind is an issue as well as the weight of the "fabric". I cannot imagine that the conveyor belt would hold up in a strong wind. This was a problem with the original Mass installation. The curtains were hauled up and down with a pulley system, lowered for windy storms. the new ones will be permanently installed I am told. It is a tough fabric, but it IS porous.

13. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I will keep all interested parties up to speed on what I find out here. I have been in contact with one of the designers of the Billerica set up and he is in the process of gathering me up the engineering studies, drawings and wind load calculations. Yes, they are changing to a new material after trial and error with a couple others and the new material will allow year round use and not need to be lowered. They are designed to handle sustained wind of 60 MPH as designed. That's plenty tough for me. The club in CA did switch from the pulp mill roller sheets to used conveyor belting as the roller sheets were very tough although not UV stable and degraded too soon.

Jeff

14. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Information on shot curtains can be found at www.hopeglobal.com.

Let me know how you come out.

15. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Thanks!

All information is still very much appreciated. Please keep it coming.

Jeff Klueger
    Howell Gun Club
    Howell, MI

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

17. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

We are having a club meeting Tuesday night and expect to come out of the meeting looking for an engineer to do the wind load data and write the pole design needed. Are there any other clubs that would like to join in and help pay for the engineering? The data will be the same anywhere in the country.

18. Don Nelson

Don Nelson Member

I dont know if it would help but i have a bunch of the material they use for out door sign making it is very tough nylon mesh it is on rolls about 13 feet wide. It looks like it would make a great shot barrier we put it up in the pastures for shade for cattle been 3 years it is holding up great we used the round grommet things and pound them together with a hammer then slide on a cable stretched the distance let me know if you would a sample

Thanks Don Nelson

19. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Don Nelson, Thanks for the offer. I would like to see a sample. Email me and I will send you my address.

MrkSCL - I would rather shoot with a natural background but acreage limitations and environmental issues are forcing us to use the curtains. We have 2 choices - stop shooting at a very convenient location close to town or use curtains. Maybe we can paint the curtains with a tree line. The curtains do seem better than not shooting at all.

20. Don Nelson

Don Nelson Member

i tried to e mail you did you receive it send me your add and i will get it in the mail
    thanks don nelson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.