1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info needed on old California shooting club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshooter5, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

Need info about an old shooting facility in Vernon,California...appears to be just south of L.A. I just got a few trophy awards from 1917 and was interested in knowing more about them. They were awarded to E.K.Mohler by the Hercules Powder Co. Any info will be appreciated! They will join my collection of Vintage trophies/awards. Thanks...Paul in Virginia

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

3. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

Calkidd- Im looking for info on the club/facility,not the trophies....hard to post pix of a club that was probably leveled 50 years ago!

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I was actually referring to the picture of the trophy. My attempt at sarcasm failed.

Bryan

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Their were two that I can think of. One was Dominguez Trap/Skeet Located on the corner of Artisa/ Central. The 91 fry runs though the center of the club now. The second was Rancho. And it was located where the goodyear blimp now ties up next to the 405 Fry.Not far from the long Beach fry...

6. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

How about the South Gate Rod and Gun Club, next to the Long Beach Freeway, between the Firestone Blvd. and Imperial Hwy off ramps? Jim

7. GR Eubanks

GR Eubanks Active Member

You are showing your age Dave HaHaHa

Roger

8. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

+1 for South Gate R&G Club. Bart

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Your right I forgot about South Gate.

10. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

You guys are going back 45 years and more for those two gun clubs. How about the Winchester/Western Gun club that was on Alameda street in City of Carson right across that huge field from the also long, gone Lions Drag Strip. How about that one.

11. Butler

Butler TS Member

Winchester Western was the place I first shot trap at probably 1968-69 , brings back some good memories Jim Butler

12. sidfishez2

sidfishez2 TS Member

OK, this may be a memory bender, try The Long Beach Gun Club near Signal Hill. They shot through the thirties and fourties, ATA California State Championships.

Dick

13. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

I shot on a league at Winchester West . Since you mentioned Lions, don't forget grudge night at Irwindale , Ascot , and cruising Whittier Blvd. There's some nostalgia

14. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

I grew up in Downey. Don't forget TWEEDY BLVD., great place for street racing. "LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO WHITTIER BLVD."... 1966 THRU 1972. 1970 S/S 396 350 HP MUNCI 4SPEED, LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTAL WAS DELIVERED TO ME 12/18/1969 AT AGE 20. BIG JIM

15. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

Alright Jim,

if you grew up in Downey, you must have spent some friday nights at the Rosecrans Drive in or bonfires at Bolsa Chica

16. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

They still had fire rings at Bolas Chica when I moved to the Valley in'89. Are they still there?

17. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Even this texas boy shot at southgate. shoot at the fy on the right or the concrete ditch on the left if you didn't get run over by a train trying to get on the club property

Bob

TC a past shooter there my bro inlaw

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Memories: South Gate Rod and Gun Club, a great place, a trip to yesteryear. And on Firestone, since we are getting into nostalgia in L.A. County, Harvey's Broiler? Black, Greer, Prudhomme racing at Irwindale? My youth was wasted on my "youth"...

David

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

And ... how about Riverside International Raceway, Ontario Motor Speedway and Orange County Drags? Both long gone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.