1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info Needed on 1930 Ithica Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pdq, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

pdq Member

I've come into possession of a trap gun made by Ithica in 1930, based on its serial number of 402320T. I placed a call to Ithica who indicated the year of manufacture and that it was a "Knick" model, named after their gunmaker Frank Knickerbocker. It's a full choke 12 guage with a 32" barrel and a 14" LOP. I've enclosed a number of pictures. If anyone can give me info on it, include the relative value of the gun, it'd be greatly appreciated as I'm not at all familiar with Ithicas.

Thanks,
    Pete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Looks like a 5-E and a nice old gun . I can put you in touch with a gentleman that can give you all the info you would ever need . He knows alot about the Ithaca SBT trap guns and shoots one alot .

E-Mail me

3. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

The most knowledgeable man I know concerning Ithacas is a gentleman named Tom Breedan, I don't know his contact info,but can get it for you if you are interested.

4. MOP

MOP Active Member

It is a 5-E and I'd estimate it's worth at approximately $3500.

5. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Given its original looking condition I would hold out for $4,000.

Note: 3/4's of its value is as a collector item. I would not refinish or in any way modify this gun.

Also, the market for guns like this seems to be relatively weak at this time.

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Gun has already had recoil pad changed, also looks like it has been refinished.
    Why a gold bird on one side and not the other? Should be on both sides I believe.Will look in Conleys book tonite. Bill

7. BILL GRILL

Walter Snyder's book says silver woodcock on rt side and silver pheasant on left "usually" the silver was replaced with gold in later years. Was built in 1930, list price on a 5e in 1930 was $175.00 dollars. In 1984 a 5e was $7000.00
    list. What kind of bird is on left side? Bill

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

9. pdq

pdq Member

Alf-99 was able to put me in touch with a collector who, in addition to the responses here, was very knowledgeable / helpful. Yes it is a grade 5, with that being stamped on the watertable.

On the left side of the receiver the bird is a pheasant, which should be in gold, but isn't -- a condition problem. I don't think the wood has been refinished, but the stock does suffer from some handling marks on the side & bottom. And, while there's still a lot there, it has lost some of it's case coloring.

A question for BILL GRILL -- you say the recoil pad has been changed -- any chance of getting a picture of what was originally there?

This is not a gun I'm interested in selling at this time, instead hoping that I can get my wife to start shooting as she's been making noises that she'd like to give it a try. Fingers crossed.

Many thanks to all who responded -- this is a great list.

Pete

10. BILL GRILL

Pete,I will see what I can find this evening. It is still a beauty even with the condition it's in. I think the above guys overvalued it though. Bill

Just talked with one of my sources he said in 1930 he believed they came with a JOSLIN or HAWKINS pad Joslin has round holes going through it and a hawkins has retangular holes like windows on a jail house. I think both pads are available from Connecticut Shotgun Mfg. phone is 860-225-6581. If you talk to Lou in gun room he is pretty Knowledgable on what pad should be on what old gun also. Bill

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

wonder why it doesnt have a gold figure on both sides

Actually I disagree about 3/4 of the value is as a collector- at 3500 or 4000 it would be as a shooter with engraving

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I like it myself. Nice gun. I'd shoot it if it fits well.

13. pdq

pdq Member

Many thanks to all that responded.

Amazing how much can be learned in a short period of time from a list like this.

I hope to get out this coming weekend and see how it shoots. The LOP is 14" which is short for me, but I'm actually thinking of getting it for my wife as she's become social friends with people who shoot & thinks she wants to give it a try. Both her parents were very good shots, so I'm hoping she got some "trap shooting" DNA from them.

Pete

14. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Pete,

Along the lines of what Bill Grill said. Walter C. Snyder wrote a book called the "The Ithaca Gun Company From the Beginning". During his research for the book, I believe he either obtained or was granted access to about as many company records that may have existed at the time of his writing. Walter Snyder is still alive as far as I know and he has several Ithaca guns for sale on Gunsamerica.com. You may be able to use that website as a means of sending him a question or find out how he can be reached via the publisher of his book.

If you want to contact him via his publisher and can't find the publisher, PM me and I will dig my book out and PM you back with it.

Good Luck, John Ertel

15. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

It's worth about five hundred dollars and should be sold to me ASAP!

16. BILL GRILL

Pete, I have Walter's email if you want it pm me and I will get it to you. Bill

17. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Mr. Stark:
    I already made that offer to pdq.
    You'll have to do a lot better than that. <:)

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL
    (Cornell University grad - Ithaca, NY - where the Ithaca Gun Company factory was built into the hillside and I passed it many times - I could smell the metal being fabricated in the mornings, as it were).

18. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

It's a 5E Knick model, I had one and sold it a few years ago. The gold was missing in the woodcocks leg 32" barrel.

19. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The inlay on the one side may be tarnished. You can bring up the color of the inlay, whether gold or silver, by just rubbing it with a dry rag or paper towel. Do not use steel wool because that will degrade the engraving on the inlay. Walt Snyder will document a 1930 5E, he did mine. The amount of case color on your gun identifies it as "high condition" for a 1930 gun. It is unlikely to have been refinished and come up with color that looks that original. I think my 5E is #402,376, very close to yours. Walt will tell you whether the engraving on your trigger guard is original also. Do you know whose initials they are? I can find out for you if you find out what state the gun was originally sent to.

20. pdq

pdq Member

Eightbore:

I do not know whose initials they are. Given the proximity of Ithaca to the state of PA, and the gun being located outside of Philadelphia, there's a good chance it was delivered here. The current owner has told me more than once that the gun -- somewhere along the line -- was owned by a former governor of PA. I thought the initials might belong to him, but in doing research of all governors back to the year 1900, no one matches those initials.

The gun - both metal and wood -- looks original, i.e. no indication of having been refinished. It has obviously been used as the finish is thin / missing from the pistol grip, especially where the palm of the hand would be. Bare wood in a few small spots.

Any information you might have would be greatly appreciated -- this is turning into a very interesting research project -- i appreciate all the help I'm getting from everyone.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.