Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Info Needed for Reloading W/W Super Target Hulls

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Old Doc 
#1 ·
Recently acquired quite a few Winchester/Western once fired, paper Super Target hulls but can't seem to find any data on what, if possible, it takes to reload these empties.

Does anyone know of a recipe using Red Dot and Winchester 209 primers, or a website that might list some information?

I've checked Alliant, Claybuster & Downrange websites.

What wad is required for either a 1 1/8 oz. load or a 1 oz. load.

These were "awesome" shells that haven't been in production for years, but I'm sure someone on this forum has reloaded them in the past.

Hate to discard these hulls if I can get a load or two out of them.

Thanks for any help or information.

Tom

#2 ·
You're going to have to find some old manuals, I suspect and/or call Alliant and Hodgdon.

IIRC (and memory fails) the Win ST had a HIGH basewad, and you needed a shorter wad and a dense(r) powder.

Were they mine, I'd get a bag of Gualandi cushion gas seals in both the ½" and 1-3/16th and some splittable fibre wads (if necessary) and use Federal Paper charge-weights.

If you'll PM your address, I'll send you a handful of both types.

Bob

#3 ·
Tom, the wad they used was a WAA12R. It was a short red wad which became popular after the shells demise with hunters and heavy shot charges. The old Remington wad in the All Americans could also be used.

I'm 1200 miles away from all my old manuals right now and won't be back for a couple weeks. If you can't find the assistance needed keep me inmind and PM later. It seems we loaded them pretty much the same as Federal Papers but don't hold me to it.

One thing that Iam going to tell you to make sure of is that the primer/flash hole is clear after depriming. This was the pain_in_the_butt issue with these casings as the base wad tended to cover the flash hole and cause poor ignition.

#7 ·
Dave P

LUP and PSI are two different ways to express pressure, as it relates to shotgun ammunition. They are NOT the same, there is no way to convert them, and they are derived by using a different method to measure pressure. LUP and CUP were older measurements obtained as a result of a "crusher" method of pressure measurement. They used a Lead or Copper pellet that was calibrated and measured before and after the "event". PSI is a measurement that is usually obtained using a transducer that actually provides a "trace", showing the rise, peak, and fall of pressure over a period of time. Many think that the transducer is more meaningful when it relates to pressure measurement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.