1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info needed for oil finish for gun stocks

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Taxidermy, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I am building a Blaser and Krieghoff stock with oil finish. My question is information on any additives to make tung oil dry faster? I am sanding it in the stock, starting with 360 wet and dry paper and will finish after several coats with 400,500,600,800,1000 and 1200. I also wipe all excess finish off with a paper towel on ever coat. It is taking a long time to dry after coat of finish remains tacky. I have finished stocks this way with tru oil and Permalin finish. thanks Ronnie

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Add a solvent to the oil. HMB

3. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I know oil finish take a long time to do correctly, and I have the time. If anyone knows of a better oil finish let me know. I am so use to spraying stocks to put a high gloss. thanks Ronnie

4. high 2

high 2 Member

The permalyn finish is a very good finish. The oil finishes that I do require several different products and don`t take the time that tru oil or a linseed finish do. Just can`t spend the time to wait for them to dry. The permalyn will work great if you`ve got a good piece of wood. Put more than 30 coats on a Browning one time and still didn`t have the pores filled. Good luck. Lary

5. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

One set is turkish and the other is french walnut. thanks Ronnie

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Check into a product called Japan dryer. It's supposed to speed up the dry time on the linseed based oils.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.