1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info how Nora Ross shoots

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ralph M Escriva, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralph M Escriva

Ralph M Escriva TS Member

Could any shooters please tell me How Nora Ross shoots,all I know is that she is a one eyed champion shooter,I would be interested to know if she holds her gun high or low on the traphouse,and does she use the five positions on the traphouse,and I guess whatever else Thanks and Best Wishes Ralph

2. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I can not tell you how she shoots because I have not seen her shoot. However I have taken one of her clinics and she teaches low gun on the house with five positions on the house. For me it was worth every penny I spent. The part I liked most was she never talked about her record or down to the class. I feel she added many birds to my average the first year of shooting and it will continue at the Texas State Shoot this next week.

3. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I've also taken one of her clinics, in 2005. As a one-eyed shooter, Nora teaches a low hold on the back edge of the traphouse. She does use the five positions, but the biggest advantage she tries to instruct to her students is the principle of WHERE to look for the target as it leaves the house.

She gives a detailed explanation and demonstration, showing that there are areas of the traphouse roof that can be "ignored" as you prepare to call for the bird. From each shooting station, the target will exit beneath the roof within distinct parameters. It is within these areas that Nora teaches students to focus and identify the initial "streak", as the bird leaves the traphouse.

I do not know if he attends every clinic, but Randy was also present at the course I took. Between the two of them, there was an infinite wealth of knowledge - and the abilities to convey that information in plain and simple language that could be applied to individual techniques.

I would highly recommend her classes, especially if you are a one-eyed shooter. After a three-year period, I still fing myself thinking about the fundamentals she taught............

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I've taken the course twice from Nora. She's very good, and it's very much worth the cost if you only come away with one thing to change. My one change the first time lead to my first 100 (actually it was a 199 at the Grand). The second course was fine tuning my doubles. That lead to my first 100 in doubles at the WI ST Shoot. I am a two eye shooter.

She is a one-eyed shooter, and she'll give any other one-eyed shooter the time it takes for you to understand the principles.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

The most important thing is blowing the smoke out of the barrel. If you don't, the next shot will run up against the back pressure, & it causes a pressure "spike" that leads to inconsistent velocities from shot to shot, one shot faster, the next slower. It may not seem like much at 16 yards...but at the fence, it definitely matters.

It seems to be less noticeable with Green Dot powder, however...

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Very well! She looks at the targets. She is not distracted and she has been shooting quite well for a long time. I also believe that she started teaching clinics with Kay at first.
    Joe

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I took her clinic a few years ago and have had the pleasure of seeing Nora and Randy when they have come back to this area to do a clinic each year. A one-eyed shooter must see some cement above the barrel. You must see the target when and where it appears as it exits the trap house.

They were up for a clinic in early June and I had a doubles lesson with Nora the day before the clinic. My gun was stolen the week before this and I shot a borrowed gun. I won my class in the Canadian Championship doubles event last week. Nora and Randy work very well together and put on a great clinic. Bill Malcolm

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Nice cast buzz. No takers?

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Joe- Nora began teaching as an associate of Pete McCall. Nora and Pete shot together for many years.

Pat Ireland

10. Ralph M Escriva

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES,IM SORRY ,I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THAT IM EMAILING FROM QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA,IM NOT VERY SKILLED IN THIS FORUM BIT,AND I DO APOLOGIZE,IM FAIRLY OLD AND HAVE HAD A COUPLE OF BAD ACCIDENTS,AND I DO HAVE TO SHOOT WITH ONE EYE,AND I WAS INTRIGUED TO FIND OUT HOW MRS ROSS SHOOTS,
    THANKS AGAIN SHOOTERS,KINDEST REGARDS, RALPH

11. three dram

three dram TS Member

Joe is right, Nora worked with Kay for several years before moving on.
    She was Kay's Associate in early eighties ,If I remember correctly

12. Ralph M Escriva

Sorry for the big writing,the cap lock was down and I didnt notice, Ralph

13. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

IMHO blowing smoke out from the bbl between shots mandates that you take a breath "in" to expel into the bbl.There was an article several years ago in either T&F or in Shotgun Sports that stated this was POSSIBLY a contributing factor in the health issues that plagued Frank Little. He always blew the smoke out from the bbl.I think that it's crazy to believe that this will help with shot patterns or with pellet speed.How many great shooters do this???

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Blowing smoke from a barrel-you do what works for you!

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Blowing smoke from a barrel-you do what works for you!

16. mikescaggs

mikescaggs TS Member

How would one find out about Nora's clinics? Does she have a website or calendar of upcoming classes. Thanks for the help guys/gals...

BTW, just got back from the KY shoot and had a great time there, Lots of nice folks there. I met Rod of "Rods Custom Stocks" and he is one great gun smith. He helped me with my new Kolar and what a difference he made. Had a 682 un-single combo that we desperately tried to fit but failed. That 682 just shoots too high and we were out of adjustments on that gun so she went bye-bye. The Kolar is incredible and predictable as well.

Mike

17. mikescaggs

mikescaggs TS Member

18. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Mike, Nora doesn't have a web site. The best way to contact her is on her cell phone ... 859-473-1622. Bill Malcolm

19. mikescaggs

mikescaggs TS Member

Thank you sir..

20. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

hard to blow smoke from my model 12, or my rem. 870

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

where does nora ross hold gun on trap house