1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info for shipping firearm by airline??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dt-em, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dt-em

dt-em Member

Will be traveling to Alaska State shoot and would like info on sending gun. It is a Beretta Dt-10. Is the hard case it comes in airline approved since it locks or should I find something else. If something else any suggestions?? How about insurance---where would be reasonable places to enquire for rates?? Any thing else I need to prepare for in advance since I have never sent gun on plane before. Thanks for your input and time. Harold

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Harold...Come on, i'm a full service shoot director!!!

My dad flies up here for the shoot - he travels a 686 in an Americase. I don't know enough about the DT 10 case to say if you want to ship it in that - surely some DT-10 guys will chime in on that.

you should be covered on your homeowners insurance to some extent - but you can also buy specific gun insurance from a couple of sources. www.siai.net - the sportsmans insurance agency - do a google if it doesn't come up, seems a popular place.

jeff

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

Harold:
    When you check in just declare to the ticket counter that you have a gun. Maybe you better not say quite that way! LOL They will make you sign a slip of paper that goes inside your gun case stating that it is unloaded. They then will either direct you to the TSA agent where they will open the case and inspect the gun and then ask you to lock it. They then will seal the case with their logo tape. I have also had the ticket agent just send the locked case down the luggage conveyor but ask me to stick around for a few minutes to make sure the TSA in the basement doesn't have a question. For insurance I use sportsmans insurance linked above. It's a lot easier than one would think to travel with a shotgun. I do not travel with ammo however they will allow you a certain amount as long as it's in another suitcase. Be aware also that most airlines are now charging $25 for your second piece of luggage.

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If the Beretta DT case is like the 682 blue plastic type, I would not just use that. I had good luck putting my 682 combo case in the zipper bottom compartment of a 2 compartment duffel, using TSA zipper locks. I would put my other shooting gear in the top. But that was when you could have a maximum of 70 lbs. If your DT-10 is not a combo you may be under 50 lbs with a compartmented duffle. I now have a Plano Aluminum 2 receiver 4 barrel case that I place in a duffel bag, since I now travel with a back up gun. Even with it in a duffel, it has gotten a lot of dents. I got it for $100 at Vandalia and it is getting banged up. Being that it only cost $100 the dents do not bother me.

I suggest one of the better aluminum cases that has a cover, if you do not like the duffel bag way.

Jason

5. dt-em

dt-em Member

Thanks for the info and I agree the blue beretta case would probably not be the way to go. Will be off to the store to find an aluminum case.
    Harold

6. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Do not use a blue case (as talked about above)! Get a Nasco, Americase, Warwick, Colorado (sorry if I left out a vendor that posts or sponsors) etc. Much better cases. As Otnot said, you will show them that is unloaded and lock it. Then they will wrap it in tape. You move on, or wait around. I have had it done both ways. I have gone through airport, and had security come up to me. They stated they saw something in my case! I thought, oh me! It was just my wad knocker. No big deal! These guys are there to help innocent people, and you will not be treated like a criminal. Just be cooperative and patient! But whatever you do, DO NOT SAY, "I HAVE A GUN". You will be treated like a criminal then! LOL! Don't worry about it, have fun flying! Insurance, Sportsman's is good, homeowners is good too! If you have any questions about insurance, or want additional insurance please call a friend of mine. She advertises in Trap&Field. Her name is Diana Crawford of Ace Insurance. She insures guns and shoots competition. She can answer any questions.

Matt

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I've tried to find out what AIRLINE APPROVED means and had no luck. The manufacturer couldn't tell me, the airlines couldn't tell me. What does it mean and what is required to declare something airline approved. I'd love to know.

Bob

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: AIRLINE APPROVED

From what I've read there is no such thing other than stated limits on dimensions posted by various airlines, and obvious standards, such as you cannot ship items in a plastic bag or what have you.

Federal Firearm Standards...

- The firearm must be carried in a hard-sided container.

- The container must be locked and only the passenger may retain the key or combination.

As long as were talking about firearms and airlines.

I asked TSA last week a question in regard locks and TSA Recognized Baggage Locks as someone told me they were approved for that purpose.

I received an answer from TSA and was told the law had not changed and you COULD NOT use a TSA Recognized Baggage Lock to secure a firearm, as only the passenger can have the key and/or combination.

9. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I've had good luck using a soft case inside tuffpak case
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.