1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info and Opinion on HiDef Spex

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wayward1, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayward1

Wayward1 TS Member

Does anyone have this type of shooting glasses? What's your opinion of them? Are they worth the extra money over decots or rangers?

I've checked out their website but really don't know much beyond that. Is there any place in the US to buy them?

Thanks in advance.

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

they are nice...but way to expensive for nothing more than a pair of your ordinary run of the mill "blue blocker" sunglasses ...you can get a nice pair of the same at Wally world for about 80 bucks cheaper..then you'll have a new pair of glasses and a flat of shells to practice

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Their lifetime guarantee is a joke. One of the spring hinges on a pair that I owned froze up (corrosion) after less than a year and when I sent the frame back they wouldn't replace it because "I had sweated on them which caused the problem" but they would sell me a new frame at a "reduced" price of only $150. WHAT A DEAL. I had little choice but to buy the frame, because I won't sell junk, and then sold the set at a loss. Also if you have a wide (fat) face like mine be prepared for them to feel like they are coming out from behind your ears because of the hinge design. And you can't bend the ear piece to make them fit because of the design. For me they were a $500 dollar MISTAKE and I would not recommend them to my worst enemy.

--- Chip King ---

4. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Search "Hidefspex Panther" and you'll find some opinions.

5. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I will sell you new HiDefs at a discount, Let me know what you want. Mark Mauch

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

wayward- PM sent

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Orvis picked up the Panther and a couple of other styles, but is clearancing the "Corsa" (2 Variants) for $139. There is a "black" and a "tortoise", each having its own light transmission rating. Visit www.orvis.com

Jay Spitz

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Single biggest waste of money in my shooting life.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They are good for driving but not worth a damn for shooting ... I can get some better driving glass's for a lot less money but I use the HighDef specs I got screwed on because I already have them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Buy Decots and have money left over for shells!

Matt

11. JohnP

JohnP Member

I just received my set Thursday evening and went out and shot a round of sporting clays this morning and found them to be very clear/sharp and had excellent visibility throughout the course.. There were a few clouds but mostly sunny and I wore the 40 lense.
    I plan on going out to shoot some trap tomorrow and will how they work there. I liked the openness of the panther lenses to have a good view...
    I also have Ranger and Decots with several different color of lenses.. I will wait until I shoot with the HiDef's for several days in different conditions before I make a solid decision but as of right now they seem to work fine...

12. Wayward1

Wayward1 TS Member

So what I'm hearing here, cost aside, is that they are great driving glasses and only so-so shooting glasses?

I'd like to hear an opinion of how you see the target with the HiDefs versus a pair of Decots.

Wayward

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'm not certain if I could see the targets better with my Decots but I shot better scores with them ... The High Def Specs work good if driving in a haze but so do the Decot's with the Polorized lenses ... I got the High Def Specs so I had to find a use for them and driving it is and Decots for shooting ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try some "Drivewear" lenses, Plastic, Polaroid, photochromic lonses. Best for driving, not shooting. ( Color)

15. Wayward1

Wayward1 TS Member

Does anyone know if any of the top shooters use these glasses. If a bunch of them use the HiDefs then maybe they are worth something.

16. JohnP

JohnP Member

I understand Ricky Marshall in trap and several in Sporting clays... Maybe the best shporting clays shooter in the world, George Digweed uses them.. Get on the web site, call them and ask them to give you names. I'm sure they can give you all of the info you need to know... Ask them for names of Olympic team members, other organizations that use them etc.. For sure don't weigh all of you decision from info on here... Get the number from Hidefspex web site..

17. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Dave Schaeffer, the guy who just set he record for most singles broke in a row wears them.

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If they paid me to use them like all the top shooters you're talking about, I probably would because they work o.k. They are overhyped and overmarketed. If they put all that marketing cost into the quality of the product, maybe more people would use them. As it is, very few shooters do use them. Just look around at the shooters with $15,000 to $20,000 guns. They're not wearing them either. It's not the price that turns them off.

19. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Exactly. Don't make a decision based on whether or not some whores hype them for $$$$$.

20. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I must be in the minority but I like my Sebrings very much. I wear RX and have used Decots for 40 years and Ranger CMT for one week and find the Hidef lens superior in quality. Now I am not saying they are worth the money and as soon as the market for the BEST COLOR lens ever made was droping the even BETTER BEST COLOR came on the scene.
    They are a marketing machine and they have almost all the top sporting shooters using them. But with what I spend shooting tournaments the cost of glasses versus how well I see the target is minor to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.