1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Inflation Calculator

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by otnot, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

The link above is an inflation calculator that begins in 1913. What $1 dollar would buy in 1913 now takes $22.24.

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

otnot, I see its not so good on gas!!! The year I graduated from HS one dollar bought me 3 gallons of gas and in your calculator it will only buy me one gallon today, even less in the days ahead. Its pretty interesting all the same. Breake-m all.Jeff

3. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

But there's the trick Jeff. The CPI factors out (IMHO) the biggest driving factor besides growth in the money supply of inflation. That is of course energy prices. Just another trick by the government so they can lie to the masses and point to the CPI and say they're keeping prices under control when even more buying power is eroded because of high energy prices.

James

4. Pull & Mark

James, Gas and oil aside, I checked the year I graduated for dollar worth and its about 4 in todays market. Now I know what min. wage was then and today and its less than double today while the dollar is worth 4. So you have to work twice the hours for the same worth in dollars at min. wage. Its about the same for anyone in a trade as well. Wages may have doubled but not up 4 times. I wonder what the politicans made 35 years ago and now today???? Interesting thought. Break-em all. Jeff

5. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I say you are looking at it ass-backwards.....It's an indicator of your "buying power" compared to another period of time, not a comparison of the price of gas.

IE.... if you were making 5.00 an hour in 1970, you should be making 28.00 in 2011 to have the same buying power and I would say that that is probably within reason.

Trying to compare the price of gas then, to today is just kidding your self.

The fine print on that site said that it was based on household goods and services for the urban household.

It makes no difference, nor does it matter what something "used" to cost.....this is today.....unfortuntely if ya snooze, ya lose.....it's a bitch out here and if you have no means to keep up ya have to cut back......It's always been that way, and today ain't no different.

I hear guys that have big, expensive trucks that they cannot afford to drive to work......that's supposed to be our fault???....what they need is a reality check.

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

In 1970 I was making $375 a week. Today I would have to make $2128 to have the same buying power.

Eric

7. 221

mixer....You were making about double the going wage in 1970?......What were you doing then and why do you not make that today or do you? 375.00 a week was a lot of money in 1970.

8. 221

JFYI.....UAW workers were making 194.00 per week in 1970.

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I don't know what the going wage was in 1970 but $375 was what I was earning as a recording engineer/mixer in NYC and I was not the top earner in the industry. Today my daily rate for doing the same thing is a little more than double the weekly rate of 1970. Here's representative picture of my "office" today.

Eric
    mixer_2008_0303.jpg

10. Pull & Mark

Eric, Now you have my point. This is why back in l970 just the father of the family would have to work. Now it takes Dad and Mom to make the same money. After this Recession/Depression is over I believe it will take Dad,Mom,Oldest Son of the family. Check out this to find out just how the rich are taking advantage with the gov. and our unknowing help. Go to: youtube.com/user/fiercefreeleancer. You need to see this. Break-em all. Jeff

Maybe someone can do the click on highlight as I don't know how.

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Here you go Pull & Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.