1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Infamous AA Base wad...more

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I took a hull, supposedly "old" style, with the box around the "AA". Once fired. Took it for a ride on my bandsaw and found...a RED basewad. At first glance, it looked like a one-piece hull, but with a little flexing, I saw the seam. Granted, it took some effort, but I was able to seperate the basewad from the hull, with NO damage (other than the bandsaw slicing). It was glued, fused, whatever and was a little harder to get out, but it WAS a 2-piece hull.
    I'm still reloading AA's, just going to be a little more careful.
  2. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

After all of the commotion I also cut a few shells open. I used a Dremel and cut the shells lengthwise. Estate- Paper base wad would not dislodge even though the shell was cut lengthwise. Gun Club- One piece. Nothing is coming loose from that brass. AA- The base wad came right out and the hull easily separated from the brass. The base wad is not glued or crimped into the brass at all. The casing has a small ridge where the brass folds. That is all holds the case in position in the brass.

It is enough for me. I will not purchase or load any more AA shells.
    Mike

I have some photos as soon as I can get this figured out.

[​IMG]
  3. Frye

Frye TS Member

just for fun, I loaded a box of once fired AA reds that I bought early this summer new from Walmart. I don't normally reload Winchesters so I thought I'd try them. They are the worse loading shell I've ever run thru my press might I add, Aside from that, I was dedicated and I wanted a box to try. 2 out of the 25 kicked out of my XT were brass only.... No hull attached. There were no base wads stuck in the barrel but they do come apart. These were loaded on a 366 Hornady. 25 landed on the ground and the rest of the empties went to the garbage dump. They shot fine, had no issues with off sounding loads but I won't load these hulls anymore. New STS's or STS reloads..
    It's not worth it. Grey, red, old, new.... Ya'll can have 'em....
  4. j2jake

j2jake Active Member

Send al those lousy once fired AAs to me. I been loading them for over two years and just love them. Jake
  5. capvan

capvan Active Member

I guess my big question is "How do you positively identify the shells that have the 2-piece hull?" I've got a LOT of AA's and will continue to reload them, but would sort them if I had a definite way of identifying the 2-piece hulls. There has been a lot written here about this, but a lot of contradictory information as well.

Bruce
  6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

Put a throwing dart or something that is sharp in the shell and go down along the inside if the case wall. You will feel a step about 3/4" from the bottom. This is a 2 piece case.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.