1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Inexpensive "starter-first" trap gun wanted

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil R, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

Inexpensive

I have a friend who is a middle school teacher that I took out as a guest to the local gun club to shoot his first round of trap. Maynard has expressed an interest in obtaining a nice used trap gun. I am guessing something like an older 870? I am looking for him in around the 250-300 price range. Anybody have something like that?
    Thanks

2. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Inexpensive

Older TB 870 Trap would be a great gun to start with. There are usually a few for sale around here.

Steve

3. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Inexpensive

Tell him to spend the money and pick up an 1100, 390, etc.

The 390's can be had NEW from Wal-Mart for $500 or so. This way, he can also get into *bites nails* skeet, sporting clays, 5-stand, etc. without further investment.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Inexpensive

An 870 would be a fine choice for trap shooting.

Pat Ireland

5. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Inexpensive

Recoil isnt felt by beginning shooters. Adrenaline overrides this.....for the first 50 shots :)

Forrest

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Inexpensive

zarathrusta- The 870 does not weigh as much as some other guns and this could cause some recoil problems. When I shot an 870 many years ago I designed a simple recoil reducer that worked well. I loaded an empty hull with 3 oz of shot and filled the case with paper and crimped it in my press. I then put the hull at the muzzle end of the magazine spring with the brass end toward the muzzle and the rest of the hull went inside of the spring. With every shot, I could hear the "reducer" compressing the spring and then slamming back into position. When I made this reducer in ca 1967, I believe my cost was about one cent. Now, with the high price of shot, it could cost five cents to make a similar reducer.

I have been a fan of the Rem. 870 for many years. I sold my 870 and bought a more expensive gun thinking I would shoot better scores. All I accomplished with that move was to miss the same number of targets with a more expensive gun.

Pat Ireland

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Inexpensive

I know an old retired shooter who has an 870 from the early 70's. He doesn't shoot any more. If he wants to sell it I'll post here or I'll just e-mail you. Can't see and older 870 selling for more than what you are looking to spend.

8. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Inexpensive

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Inexpensive

The 870TB would be your best choice to satisfy your budget. To stay in the $300 range you might have to do a little looking to find one in good condition for that price; but they are out there. And a few nicks and scratches do not make the gun shoot any better. (Gives it some "character")!! Good luck in your search. Ed

10. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

Inexpensive

I like my 870 Classic Trap. I don't feel any recoil at all doing 100 target events. I haven't tried doing singles and handicaps or even adding doubles, but I doubt I'd feel anything. I have an 1100 trap too but like the 870 better. It just feels more solid on the mount, swing, and especially the follow through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.