1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Inexpensive Shooting Glasses

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gumshoe, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gumshoe

gumshoe TS Member

I recently bought a pair of "Blue Blocker" sunglasses at Walgreens, $14.95, orange lenses. I found that they significantly brightened the green vegetation and enfanced the orange only clays. I liked them as well as the Ranger CMT mainly because of the brightening of the green and the increased contrast.

Murdock

2. eagleonePA

eagleonePA TS Member

Don't think much about Your eyes !
    Bill

3. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I have to agree with Eagleonepa. Go talk to a eye doc and hear what they have to say about CHEAP glasses. Cheap glasses can harm your eye's because of poor len's. I have De cot glasses because I don't want eye problem's. Also if I have to sell them I can get a good return on them if I take care of them.

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Rebel: What are the color of the lenses? How old are the glasses? Can you send me a pic? I am interested.

Thanks,

Jeff A.
    bucpride29@hotmail.com

5. gumshoe

gumshoe TS Member

To: Eagleonepa
    No, Bill don't think much about you.
    You have a smart mouth. How do you know what I think about my eyes? I have Rangers with three lenses, Remington with three lenses and a set of Zeis shooting glasses. I was making a sincere remark about anexperience that I had.

If you are worried about the sun hurting your eyes, because the lenses are not high quality, you better not look out any windows.

Murdock

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you ask the opinion of an eye doctor, he will most probably tell you that the inexpensive lens are not nearly as good as the expensive ones he sells. My optometrist does not think highly of the inexpensive reading glasses I buy at Big Lots, but I do.

maclellan1911- I have no direct knowledge about the "protection" from light in the uV range offered by blue blocker lens. To me, it does seem logical that a lens blocking the visible blue waves would be pretty good at blocking the shorter invisible blue waves that we need to keep out of our eyes.

Pat Ireland

PS- I use Decot target bronze

7. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Murdock

Because of the need for impact protection, I don't agree that eyewear designed as sunglasses make good shooting / safety glasses. Decot offers a BluBan Blocker lens color in three different shades that offers the BluBlocker technology with impact protection. Good eye protection isn't cheap but eyesight is priceless, so don't scrimp on eye protection when you are involved in any form of shooting sports. - JoeBerg

8. rscotty

rscotty TS Member

Rebel - Please send info on the Post Four glasses. Remove X's from email address.

Thanks!

9. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I got a set of lens from Post 4 a few months ago and was told that the lens were CR-39. The salesman (owner?) preferred CR-39 as they had better optical quality than polycarbonate even though they gave less protection. His opinion was that the better vision overuled the lesser safety.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I had read an article a few years back in the "Shooting Sportsman" on eye protection. The articles was prompted by an accident involving its editor-in-chief afield during a pheasant hunt.

The article discussed the very issue of impact resistance of glass v. polycarbonate v. CR-39 plastic and concluded that CR-39 has no where near the impact resistance of polycarb lenses. Polycarb lenses also offer 100% UV protection without additional additives.

The flipside is that polycarb lenses took poorly to tinting and were not the best optically. Last year I believe that Ranger introduced a new coated polycarb lens that accepted tinting better. That is why most tinted Rx lenses are CR-39 plastic.

The impact test was 1 oz (#7.5) shot at 35 yards @1200fps - only the polycarb lenses remained completely intact (some dimples) - all others shattered. There was also the comment that polycarb lens thickness varies among manufacturers - so choose the thickest lens possible to maximize protection.

The complete text of the article was from the 12/97 issue of Shooting Sportsman. FYI, I shoot using plano polycarb lenses with contacts.

Jay Spitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.