1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Inexpensive hearing aids available

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TOOT, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

HUH....

2. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

Wireguy, do you use them as regular hearing aids. I need to purchase two hearing aids at a cost of $7,000 for the both of them. I'm reluctant to spend that kind of money with hearing aids having a life expectancy of 5 years. I would be interested in a pair of these woodland whispers.

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Here is the website for anyone wanting to check them out.

Woodland Whisperer ITE

They are on sale too. Hauxfan!

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

5. 1-straight

1-straight TS Member

Hey Wireguy!

Thanks for the tip!! I just ordered a pair - I'll try them out - if I like them, I'll buy a set of adjustable ones!!

Regards

1-straight

6. skeezix

skeezix Member

my $3500 resounds just went through the laundry :-(

john

7. KK

KK TS Member

I HOPE I HAVE THE SAME HEARING PROBLEMS THAT YOU DO AND THESE DO THE SAME FOR ME. I JUST ORDERED A PAIR OF THE VOLUME CONTROL TYPE WOODLAND WHISPERS FROM CABELA'S. THANKS FOR THE TIP, I TOO AM TRYING TO DODGE THAT $8000 BULLET FOR HEARING AIDS. I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW THE ADJUSTABLE TYPE IS IN A FEW DAYS. KK

8. shooter

shooter TS Member

Wireguy, Thanks for the tip. I just ordered mine.

Hauxfan, Thanks for the link.

9. Hullchucker

Hullchucker TS Member

Just ordered mine. and six batteries. Thanks guys

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Skeezix, That will not make them work ant better. LOL My digital Starkeys went thru the washer also. I'm pretty sure the dryer didn't help either. Still waiting to get them back from the repair folks at Starkeys. Jim

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I sprung for a set. Let us know about the adj set. Jake

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I ordered a set for my wife, who's hearing went to pot after her radiation treatments. Hope they work for her, as I'm tired of saying everything twice. Hauxfan!

13. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Shhhh, better be quiet about this one, boys.

...Once the manufacturer gets wind of what you're using them for, they'll try to get them eligible for reimbursement from Medicare and the price will go up 50x...

14. Mark T

Mark T TS Member

It,s funny that I ran across this topic. I was at the ear DR. with my dad yesterday. He had been concerned that his hearing was worse than in the past. As a pilot he has to maintain good hearing and pass an annual physical. After his exam the doctor said that there was a change in his hearing and that it was to be expected but that he should wear some good hearing protection when he is around loud noise.

He told the doctor that he does and one of the items he uses is the Whisper electronics. The DR. said that depending on what they were being used for it may/may not be good as these are a general type of amplification/supression and could do more damage than good in some cases. The doctor also said that hearing aids while they are more expensive are specifically made for your ears and tuned for your hearing loss. There are some good electronic earplugs aqnd they are that expensive, but generally the ones you buy out of a catalog are cheap and can do more harm than good. He suggfested that if he were going to continue to use some electronic type of hearing protection that he go to a dealer that can evaluate his hearing and fit him with the proper set of plugs.

While he does not need hearing aids, he suggested that Dad use some good custom molded earplugs for his shooting.

I would suggest that before you get all excited about these plugs that you do a little homework and see what is the best for your situation. Cheaper is not always better.

The Doctor's final point hit home more than anything else. Your hearing is as good as it will get right now and will only get worse and we cant fix it once it gets beyond a certain point. How much is your hearing worth to you?

15. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Or the rest of us can buy foam ear plugs for $.50 and ear muffs at $15.95. I just might try a pair of them, catch the wife sneakin` up on me.
    Thanks for the tip.

16. guncase

guncase TS Member

I have a pair of simple Miracle Ear aids and they work great,,,and the best thing is they only cost $695 each!! I don't know anything about $8000 ones but.,, can they be 10 times better? and I have lost one of mine and didn't squeal so loud as if it was $8000! ! Paul

17. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

I wonder if you shooters , who ordered the "Whisper"s , opted for the ones with the compression circuits ? And if so , will report back on the effectiveness of that feature ?

Charlie

18. JonP

JonP Member

Was wondering the same thing as Charlie above - feedback (pun intended) on the ones with the compression circuitry would be appreciated.

Jon

19. zinger

zinger Member

which is exactly why I ordered a pair for my mother!..lol

20. 1-straight

1-straight TS Member

I got mine in the mail today!! What a piece of crap!! The instructions for use must have been some literal translation by some chink in china... I couldnt figure them out - then I read that the batteries are only good for 24 hours - I packed 'dm up and sent them back for a refund!! I guess the old saying about "if something sounds to good to be true" it probably isn't!!

Regards

1-straight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.