1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Inertia vs Mechanical Triggers (New gun help?)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DelarockX, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

I've been getting the new gun itch. I've been considering several different models, and my main thing is that I'd like to get a gun that I can shoot all disciplines with. I've been doing a lot of sporting clays lately, and I used to shoot a lot of trap.

I've been looking at the Beretta Gold E, and I'd consider a Perazzi or a Kreighoff if I could find the right gun for the right price.

Which guns have a mechanical trigger? I'm not concerned about lock time as I don't think I'm good enough to notice the difference. My issue is more about FTF when I'm shooting sporting clays. Is this a trivial worry?

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I own guns that have both, sometimes from the same manufacturer. The only time I can tell the difference is when I pull the triggers with snap caps, not when I'm shooting live rounds. If you plan to include subgauge tubes as part of your all around gun, inertia triggers will have to be adjusted to shoot 410 tubes. Mark

3. billn

billn Member

Sometimes if you have a light drop in a load the 410 with ineretia triggers that have been adjusted, it will not fire the second barrel.

4. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

The reason mechanical triggers are essential in some games is if you have a failure to fire, you still have the second barrel. If you are shooting some disciplines, that second barrel could be the difference between a lost target and a dead one.

I have never understood why inertial triggers exist, and on questioning I was told that they are easier to regulate. I somehow find that suspect, but no one has offered a different explanation.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The Beretta has the inertia trigger which works fine until the inertia spring breaks then you have a single shot. Replacement of the inertia spring is something you can learn to do and the spring itself only costs about $10 and lasts for around 15K rounds. If you replace this spring annually you probably wont have any problems with the Beretta.

The Krieghoff trigger will be the most reliable but you know the price difference between the K80 and a 682.

Wether or not you have a trivial worry depends on how serious you are about your shooting. If a one time gun breakdown is is going to ruin your whole season then maybee you should spend the big bucks and get that K80.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There's a reason that 99% of the guns made have an inertia trigger. Mechanical
    triggers have an occasional problem, too. There is no advantage in sporting clays to be able to fire the second barrel if the first one doesn't fire. You will still need to reshoot the pair, and if it's a report pair, your rushed second barrel shot counts if you miss.

Now there are a number of guns that have so many adjustment features that
    you can use them for all sports. They are marketed as all purpose target guns.
    Browning has a Citori like that. Beretta has a Teknys auto with adjustable comb and interchangeable ribs, Ceasar Guierini has the new Fabarms auto with adjustable comb and rib. Krieghoff and Kolar have dual purpose guns as well.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The best gun out there for the money with a mechanical trigger is the Remington 3200. HMB

8. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I thot that I wanted to have a Perazzi trigger converted to mechanical in a pigeon gun. Giacomo said don't do it.

Good enough for me

9. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

As you stated you probably can't tell the diff in lock time. You won't.
    Myth by trap shooters regarding leaf vs coil springs in perazzi's.
    Any gun I buy gets a trigger job as I like a 3.5lb pull without creap. K guns and blazer excepted.
    Dick ever hear of a single? He also may shoot fitasc at some point.
    I would be very suspect of something else wrong if you have to replace anything on a beretta after 15k rounds. I have more than that thru a 391 without a problem.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

sptnclays: In both NSCA and FITASC rules, a gun malfunction on the first shot of a single target allows for a reshoot of that target. There would be no advantage shooting at it with the second shot. If you missed it, it would be a lost target. Though a reshoot is allowed if you miss a single target with the first shot and the malfunction occurs on the second shot, if you're thinking you could claim that the second barrel shot you took was actually the first shot, and the malfunction occurred on the second shot, that would be cheating and the referee would probably catch it when he inspected the gun.

11. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

My 686 Sporting was bought new in 1992 and had unknown thousands of rounds through it and have never had an inertia spring problem. only had a light primer strike problem that was due to a cocking rod in the bottom barrel. Hard to beat a Beretta 680 series gun for feel and reliability. Sporting model with 30" choke tube barrels and sporting stock with an adjustable comb will work for all target games. Unlike Browning guns, Beretta guns are easy to find quality places to have work done (in a reasonable amount of time) on them if needed. Bill

12. woodski

woodski Member

You may want to consider a New Browning 725 which comes standard with 3.5 lb mechanical triggers. I have one and shot several thousand shells so far with no problems and i really like it. Just another option for you at approx.$2,700 it is a pretty good deal. Good luck!

13. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

DelarockX : A thought to remember, if you get used to a mechanical trigger and then try to shoot an inertia trigger for doubles or SC look out. Especially if it is ingrained in your head you will have to learn trigger control or the relaxing of it all over again. Just that little difference in the trigger movement or lack of it. Of course you could have them worked on to fit you.

CM

14. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

I think the issue that I'm worried about was definitely addressed. As of late, I have mainly been shooting sporting clays. My reason for posting is the whole FTF issue, and less the issue about the springs or feel of the trigger. My primary concern is reliability, and it seems as though they are equally reliable. My secondary concern is taking the second shot, but it seems as though the rulebooks have this covered. Everything else isn't a major consideration.

I do not shoot competitively, but it is something that I feel is part of the whole mental aspect of any game. I currently shoot a Cynergy with mechanical triggers. I have never had an issue with it while shooting sporting clays or doubles trap, but I have had it with a bad shell while shooting trap. I know that it's one of those things that get into your head, and if I'm going to make an investment, I'd like to have as much mental confidence as possible.

What I'm trying to do is treat myself to one gun and make it my last. I'm running through my checklist now. I really wanted a Perazzi and I like Beretta. I never really considered a K gun because I'm not thrilled with the way the K80 looks on the side of the gun, but I'm open right now and doing my research.

Thank you all for the advice!

Side note- I was told that I should always de-cock my gun before putting it away. The first gun I owned had an inertia trigger and I didn't like how I had to slap the stock of the gun to get it to switch.

15. Baber

Baber TS Member

There is nothing better than a Perazzi trigger. There have been numerous problems with the Beratta 680 series triggers.

T

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'll take mechanical every time...no worries about a light load not setting the second trigger...

17. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

Did a little search around... Found a few posts (outside of this thread) where people were advised against switching their Perazzi trigger from inertia to mechanical. I am curious to know why.

Also found a post about a mechanical Perazzi trigger, but I'm assuming that it is something that is uncommon.

I am assuming that Perazzi and Krieghoff have equal build quality. I have not shot either. My preference, which is largely based on sentiment, would be a Perazzi. I have not ruled out a K80.

Right now, all I know is that if I were to purchase a gun tomorrow, it would have to be a 30"ish O/U with choke tubes, mechanical trigger, with a silver/nickle receiver without any sort of game scene on it. I'd prefer removable trigger as well. In the last year, I have shot more sporting clays than anything. I think I've shot 2 rounds of skeet. I have shot a considerable amount of trap in the past and that is what I may wind up shooting more of.

Feel free to give me more input.

18. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

Used Zolis are a great bargin. Removable trigger (inertia)and no worries of loose ribs. (some versions of Perazzi are known for shooting the ribs loose. Namely big bore 18.7 and half rib as well as 34 inch O/U barrels)

I've onwed a K80 and DT10 as well as several 682s (three). Two of my 682 had well over 70K each and I never had to replace a spring.

Also Beretta are comming out this spring with the new 692!! Might be worth the wait.

19. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Look at a Kolar. Bill Malcolm

20. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

X2 Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta prevail mechanical or inertia trigger
how does a mechanical trigger on a shotgun work

inertia trigger vs mechanical trigger