1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Individuals selling guns to California Residents

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

All you hyave to do to sell a California Resident a long gun is have him make arrangements with a California FFL dealer to do the paperwork.

The seller must be an individual, not a dealer. Seller must copy his drivers license as an ID his home address and telephone number, put this info in a packing list taped to the Package, so they can identify who is selling the gun,

The recieving FFL dealer knows what he is supposed to do.

I called the California Attorney Generals Firearms division this morning and got the information direct.

But if you are an out of stste FFL dealer you must contact them and get an authorization Number to sell and xfer to a CA Dealer.

On the CA ffl license there is information of " If You Are A Dealer"

and if you are an individual.

I sold a gun today to a California Resident, delivered to his FFL holder, with my personal information enclosed.

If you don't believe me call the info number for CAFFL office or Attorney Generals Firearms dept for instructions.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Dr.Longshot

Here is the information that is on the bottom of a California FFL dealers license that is sent to you the seller, I did not show the whole license as it is priveledged information.
    drlongshot_2008_030353.jpg

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You left out the part of complying with what firearms can or cannot be transferred to California, which features are allowed, etc.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting the information about legally transfer a firearm to CA.

As CA is concerned, the best and easiest way is to send it to a CA FFL from yourself, not from your FFL to a CA FFL. Last time a seller in FL insist on FFL to FFL, that not only cost him extra expenses and it took 3 more days to ship because the dealer was busy.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have my FFL ship any and all guns I sell, thats by choice and let him take it from there ... He said there was some additional paperwork that had to filed in California so the FFL's on both ends could be verified prior to the transaction ... I just didn't want any hassle over a gun, an 18 year old kid, and California so I opted out of it ... I don't know if this persons parents wanted him to have a gun or not and there was no conclusive way to find out so the gun went back in the safe ... I really didn't care enough if I sold the gun to do the research on it, got other things to do with my time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

You just lost a sale for no reason. The rational for the existence of the FFL is just the situation that you describe so there is no legal requirement for you to do anything but deliver the gun to the FFL. If you had simply let them do the job they are PAID for the legal requirements would all have been met.

This is not a complicated process but everyone seems to want to make it so. Since the law requires the participation of the FFL just let them do the mandated job that they are PAID to do.

7. Steve W

Rick, I think DL is not only required by CA, I had been asked by buyers from many other states to give their FFL my DL copy or picture ID, what I did was give them a copy of my passport.

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Most guns sold on this sight are shotguns, I can't speak for hand guns or rifles. In the case of shotguns all the selling FFL has to do is go the CDOJ web sight and ask for an authorization number which becomes part of the transaction paperwork, no big Deal. I'ts just like the old days when credit cards first came into use. If a retailer sold an item above a certain price they had to call the credit card company for an authorization number to complete the transaction and no one complained then. If an FFl is not wired to the web (some arn't) he or she obtain a number from CDOJ via fax or phone which is a pain in butt, but still a no big deal. I have bought eight to ten guns through this site and all have gone FFL to FFL, it's a simple deal. I laugh when I read NO SALES TO CalIFORNIA because someone just cut themselves out of a huge market. Gee! Wonder why Perazzi's North American headquarters are here is the sales or the weather and all the good looking gals, you think??

Surfer

9. Steve W

Definitely the good looking gals.

10. claykiller

claykiller Member

I' m glad to see folks are starting to get educated about California gun sales. Most of these numb nuts that state "no sales to California" both here and on Gun Broker don't realize they're missing one of this country's biggest markets, especially shotguns.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I really doubt they're hurting because they won't sell to California.

12. dead on 4

Brian, You may wish rethink your position. Yes, California has some of the toughest guns laws in the union, but they don't negate the fact; thirty six and a half million people not counting the million people we sent to Oregon since nineteen ninety. I might ask, are you one of those or are you cloned from the fir tree? Even with the loss of a couple of million people we still remain the largest single consumer market for finnished products including guns in North America. Anyone who wants to move products and move them fast puts California at the top of their list. I would assume when an item is listed T.S, the intent of the sellar is to find a buyer the sooner the better. Why would a seller cut out the largest single market? Just a thought.....................

Surfer

13. Dr.Longshot

I only know about shotgbuns, to California, the buyers FFL has to send you a copy of his FFL, you saw what the bootom of it says, it is his responsibility to see that the buyer is of the proper age, and the background check is to confirm he is a qualified buyer.

I have the buyer's money, his FFL has his gun, and if he doesn't qualify the FFL can send it back to me and I have to find an FFL dealer for him to ship it to. So I can send the buyer back his money less shipping costs.

I have never had that happen.

It is more expensive if you send it through your FFL to his FFL.

And I sent it by United States Postal Service, tracking and insurance.

I avoid UPS products usually damaged or dissappears., very long time getting paid for damages.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Gary Bryant
    DR.longshot

14. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I ship to California on a regular basis. The "paperwork" takes less than 5 minutes and is no trouble at all.

Bob Schultz

15. dead on 4

So Bob! Are you saying California is an important market for you and it's dollar and cents worthwhile to sell guns to Californian's ?

Surfer

16. citadel

citadel Active Member

Both Bob Schultz and Gary are a pleasure to deal with. I just purchased guns from both of them last week and they shipped into California to my FFL who is the subject of Garys post. There was no trouble or delay for either seller. Anyone who does not do business in CALIF selling shotguns is just simply foolish and leaving $ on the table as the market here is the 6 TH or 7 TH largest economy in the WORLD. We are certainly screwed up in some areas such as politics and finance but we do buy shotguns without any problem.
    Doug

17. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

A couple of years ago I pourchased an MX3 combo from Bob Schultz. He had no trouble sending it to my FFL here in Fresno, Ca. I bought another MX3 3 barrel set from Quality Arms-John Boyd in Texas and he had no problem sending it to the same FFL.

Vince McNamara

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Anyone who does not do business in CALIF selling shotguns is just simply foolish and leaving $ on the table as the market here is the 6 TH or 7 TH largest economy in the WORLD."

This was said by a couple of people in this thread different wording perhaps but basically the same statement. Earlier LS said,

"Seller must copy his drivers license as an ID his home address and telephone number, put this info in a packing list taped to the Package, so they can identify who is selling the gun,"

Well that is interesting as half the people that post here won't put their name on this site. Yet they are expected to put their life history on the outside of a package in shipping.

Many Driver's Licenses have your SS number on them and you think that the information shy are going to put their personal information on the outside of the package.....LOL. Your State isn't doing their best to protect the out of state consumer in my opinion. That is reason enough to not buy from CA just my opinion of course.

Bob Lawless

19. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Have to wake you boys up about California, once upon a time Ca was the 8th largest economy in the world, no more, no more. Lee

20. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

OK, now for the fine print. Is the holder of a C&R license treated like an FFL dealer in CA or like a private individual?
    dju

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

selling guns to california resident