1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Indiana State Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoosier, Jul 15, 2013.

1. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

I would like to thank everyone who came to our Indiana State Shoot. We had good weather and very good targets. There were a lot of high scores shot every day. I also would like to thank the Indiana Board of Directors and the shooters who came early and helped us prepare for the shoot. If it weren't for the BOD and the volunteers we couldn't have as a successful state shoot as we had. Once again, thanks to everyone and hope you come back next year. Roland King, Indiana ATA Delegate

2. steele

steele TS Member

Friends & I made out first trip to your club. We had a real nice time. My only concern was the terrible background on banks 5-8. That power sub-station monster played hell with seeing the birds. If the sun was out, it wasn't too bad. But when cloud cover came in, forget about seeing any right hand targets.
    We got stuck shooting all four days on the last 3 banks. I met some nice people & made a few new friends. Planning on returning next year.
    Butch from Pgh

3. starfix

starfix Member

Roland, I want to thank you and everybody in charge for the great time I had shooting at your state shoot. The weather was perfect for camping and the hospitality for us out of state folks was very good. see you next year or at the Grand. Bob Caplinger

4. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Our group had a great time! Thanks for the Hoosier Hospitality. See ya next year, Roger

Bob...anyone that shoots that well should have a good time!! Nice Job!

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Well I didn't shoot that well and it is all Roland's fault. He didn't put the targets where I was shooting. Other than that I had a great time, even brought home a sailing ship.

Butch I know what you mean but I saw a lot of good and great scores come from that end this year even with the wind.

Don

6. steele

steele TS Member

I did fairly well also on bank 7, as long as the sun was out. As soon as the clouds covered over, it was lights out seeing the birds. I shot with a new found friend, Ed Black, & we both agreed, it sure would be nice to have some trees planted. Banks 1-4 definitely had the advantage. Butch

7. CROY1990

CROY1990 Active Member

Well the 200 straight that was shot on Thursday was from bank 8. I shot a 99 in Caps Thursday on bank 6 so good scores were shot on these banks. There is some problems with low light conditions but it's the luck of the draw. Overall there were very few problems during the shoot and the miss-in-out Friday night was a hoot. Thanks to Tom Matthews for putting it together.

8. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I had a blast, didn't shoot well but that was just my own fault.
    Targets were great. Maybe turn down the thermostat for next year, got a little warm for Sundays caps.
    I will be back next year!
    Rooferbob

9. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

We (shooting buddy) also shot on bank seven. Second year in a row as luck would have it. What has been said above is true. When the sun went behind a cloud the targets were most difficult to see until they crested the top of all the electrical equipment and hit the sky background. Despite good scores shot on the affected banks it is obviously more difficult versus the banks with the better backgrounds.

There should be some action taken to "level the field" such as planting trees. They don't have to be big expensive ones. Little cheap Norway Spruce will do for now. Then we can all say "I hope I live long enough to see those trees blot out that damn electric company" every year when we make the pilgrimage to Indiana.

Always a good time seeing all the guns that Riverrunt has to offer in the big tent. The only negative I found regarding this years shoot, and this is really nit-picking, was the food seemed to have taken a step backward. The offerings and quality last year were far superior.

doc

10. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Doc - could you be more specific? The staff was the same as last year, and I think the food was pretty much the same except a few more desserts. Was there something from 2012 that you would like to see brought back?

Bill Radwan

11. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Throw in my 2 cents, now that I am an OOS shooter -- GREAT job by the BOD!

Also, awesome idea about the tree planting. Honestly, I don't recall this idea ever being brought up to the board before in my time of service. I think it is a good idea to consider. I see Bill and Roland are on this thread, but I will also bring it up to another Board member at the Grand (camping next to him).

Advice: if you have an idea like this, PLEASE take it directly to a board member. There names and contact information are on the ITA website at www.indianatrap.com. I know most of the board does not monitor TS.com....

Thanks again for an awesome 3 days in God's country!

John

12. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

The board and the workers did a great job. They really did a great job the day of the rain delay. I bet I spent more than my share eating desserts at the club. All real good. The food at the shooter day dinner was perfect. Restrooms were always clean along with the buildings. Just plain old nice job guys. I will be taking back a bunch of ideas to Mi.

Thank you to all from the scorers to the board nice job

Mark Jonckheere

13. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

I will certainly bring up the planting of the trees at the next board meeting. I think it is a great idea. Like John said, if you have any ideas please contact a member of the board. We want to put on a better shoot next year then we did this year. Thanks, Roland

14. Gun Run

Gun Run Member

I also would like to thank Indiana B O D for a very well run shoot. No matter what came up, they were on top of it right away. It makes me proud to say "I'm from Indiana"! Wayne Downham

15. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Actually -- the trees issue in front of the substation could be a bit harder than I thought -- if trees were planted, they would be directly in the shotfall area. Anyone have an idea of any trees that could withstand this abuse? Some shot would directly hit the trees (although, the velocity would probably be pretty low - but there would be issues with lead...

16. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

John, I was thinking blue spruse or white pine.

17. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

The trees at our club, mostly deciduous (not evergreens) have a dead area in them where the shot hits. That is a legitimate concern.

18. steele

steele TS Member

I'm not sure of the distance, but it looks like 250+ yards. I think if there was a potential pellet damage issue, the power company would be concerned also, & apparently they aren't. There is a difference between the shot striking while at a high velocity, versus shot just dropping.

19. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

I will certainly bring up the planting of the trees at the next board meeting. I think it is a great idea. Like John said, if you have any ideas please contact a member of the board. We want to put on a better shoot next year then we did this year. Thanks, Roland

20. Gun Run

Gun Run Member

I also would like to thank Indiana B O D for a very well run shoot. No matter what came up, they were on top of it right away. It makes me proud to say "I'm from Indiana"! Wayne Downham

Search tags for this page

indiana ata trap shot