1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Indiana Gun Club Info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Indiana Gun Club does have shooting supplies, shot,wads, powder, and primers
    The new owner is in the process of getting his FFL and is still working with Steve, and has the guns available that Steve had.

Shot is $28.95 per bag $1.00 less for 10 or more bags

Phone number is 317-485-6540

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Just to let everyone know what is going on, especially those who are not regulars at IGC: On January 1, 2009, Steve Smith sold his operating interest in the IGC to Phillip Baker. As many of the regulars at IGC know, Phillip has worked at the club many years (at least 10 that I can recollect) and holds an MBA from the Kelly School of Business from Indiana University. Putting aside University tensions (ha ha), Phillip is a great guy and the Board of Directors have the utmost respect for him and he has our full support. I met with Phillip for about 15 minutes after last Saturday's BOD meeting to go over some improvements / repairs that were presented to the Board earlier that day. We had a good conversation and I fully believe he will take the IGC in a new direction. Good luck Phillip.

Gary is correct in what he posted above and Phillip ran into a little bit of a speed bump with the ATF on his new FFL, which the ITA has now provided all pertinent information that the ATF has requested from us. Hopefully he will receive his FFL very shortly.

To nip this rumor in the bud -- yes, the ITA still owns the IGC property. Phillip is leasing it from us.

I also want to give a sincere thank you to Veldon & Steve Smith for their many years of service to the IGC, the ITA, and to shotgun sports enthusiasts over the many years that they have ran the IGC. It sure will be different this year not having them around when we are setting up the shoot. I do not have any additional information to pass on as to whether or not Steve will continue to sell firearms or if he well vend at the State Shoot. If I find out anything I will let everyone know.

John

3. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I visited the IGC today - too cold to shoot but had some cabin fever so took the 30 minute drive over.

Still no guns on the floor due to lack of FFl issuance to Phil.

As mentioned elsewhere, he does have components for sale. This, however, is also worrisome as it seems the City of Fishers ( municipal zoning jurisdiction )has seen fit to weigh in and reject his application for appropriate issuance of a retail merchants certificate. Without same, he cannot collect sales tax and one would question whether he will be able to move forward with retail sales.

He informed me the surrounding homeowners have taken up the torch to attempt to prevent the "reopening" of the club under his lease/management with the ITA citing various concerns including, but not limited to, health hazard,noise nuisance,cessation of business resulting in grandfathered zoning, and ,I imagine, global warming and the state of the federal deficit.

He has engaged an attorney to maneuver through the mine fields of zoning and related issues. He remains comfident that he will prevail and my sincerest hope is that he is correct as I selfishly wish to continue to use the trap and skeet ranges and share fellowship there with friends and acquaintenances - presently and hopefully in the future.

Notwithstanding the current lack of guns sales aspect of the "club", should the IGC be forced to close, the geographical proximity to other clubs is less than favorable for many central Indiana shooters - especially those of the skeet persuasion.

As said before, time will tell. Let's hope Phil has acquired a good lawyer skilled in these matters ( if there is such a thing )and will expeditiously be victorious with this fight against city hall and the BATF.

In the meantime, weather permitting I intend to attempt to visit the DARK SIDE and shoot some trap at the newly discovered Brownsburg Conservation Club.

Noel Kendall

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

here is one idea. when he buys components and guns for sale let himpay the sales tax on them and then resell as personal guns. it might be worth a try to get the place operational. make sure to check the law on this deal. i love that club and stop everytime we travel to the big city of Indy motordoc

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Better be gathering up the troops to attend meetings. If the ownership of the club is still the ITA isn't it grandfathered in? Boy I hope so. Wonderful memories there. I thought Indiana was more gun friendly.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Indiana is gun friendly, just not the folks around the IGC.

7. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Yes I'd agree Hoosier Daddy the neighborhood that the club is located in, that land is worth big bucks.

8. Mid-State Gun Club

Mid-State Gun Club TS Member

We had a noise issue at one of our clubs. It has been there for over 65 years. In Ohio there is a law that says if a club or farm has been in operation before 1996 that no one can close them down period. 15 new houses were built around this club in the 10 years and for what ever reason the home owners thought they could close us down knowing the club was there before them. They called the epa and said lead was polluting a lake and there water system. After test there was no evidence of lead in any of the above ground or underground water. Just be carefull in what you say about the issue at your club small things can turn into alot of litagation and that cost money. Dont let your attorney bleed you to death.Hopefully you can get one fron your club at little or no cost. The complaintents want to keep you in legal fees over the clubs head and try to close you that way. Do not cut your hours of operation this may set a presidence that you ackowledge there is a noise problem.Just a few thoughts and suggestions from my experiance.

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

I believe Indiana's range protection "grandfather" statute specifies clubs that were in operation as of 1993...so IGC definitely qualifies.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You can qualify but still get beat to death by legal fees and that is what is happening at IGC.

Don

11. DON1911

DON1911 Member

Sorry to hear IGC is having problems. My first shotgun shooting was there ,the year was 1963 they were having a Winter skeet league and need one more person to make another team[hey kid, you wanta shoot?] At that time IGC sat in the middle of corn fields and no where. It was a great place holding many state championships. I shot many monthly matches there and at Kingens Gun Club.

Best wishes to Phil Baker , IGC, and ITA
    Don Mason
    ps still shooting[hey kid, do you wanta shoot?]

12. rtclark21

rtclark21 Member

I know there is probably more to the story and this is just one of many years the City of Fishers has been a thorn in the side (to put it mildly I'm sure). Being newer to trapshooting, I've become quite familiar with IGC, however, my immediate family has had their issues with the City of Fishers also.

Do you remember going north on Olio road (from the south), passing IMI on the right, crossing over the bridge, and curving around then going up the hill - instead of going staight up like we do today? Me too...in fact, this was my grandfathers property until the City of Fishers claimed imminent domain and 'took' it. The city not only took the land, but left my grandfather no choice to sell the remainder to make way for the retail shops and condos that are there now (I still shake my head every time I drive through). I remember the neighborhood meetings my grandfather used to have and the tens of thousands of dollars in attorney's fees spent to fight city hall. The fight lasted 5 or 6 years (maybe more) and as you know, they eventually won.

As was stated above, the IGC is sitting on prime real estate surrounded by affluent neighbors who probably think they are more powerful than what they are. They forgot who was there first and it was their decsision to build 150' away from a traphouse. I don't know if the trouble that Phil is facing with the retail license is part of this, but it would be really unfortunate if these are the cards we're dealt with.

As I said in the beginning - I don't know the whole story and I'm sure there is much more to it. It's disappointing and saddening to see the pressure that is being applied and I know it's got to be frusterating to be on the front line.

If it's ever time to raise the pitchforks and light the torches, count me in.

Ryan Clark

13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I saw on the news tonight where Fishers has annexed homes in the Geist area.

Will this affect the ICG?

Will the IGC taxes raise as these homeowners taxes will?

Hope things all work out for Phil.

Danny

14. crusha

crusha TS Member

The taxes are definitely going up in the area. This is the main financial problem facing ITA in having a club there. You can apply for abatement, but it's just a matter of time before they price you out of the area. And if they can disrupt your retail licenses, and interfere with the cash-generating activities of the club, I guess they think they can accelerate the process even more.

You'd think the housing mess would at least temporarily stall the spread of the yuppie-village cancer...but nah. Bastards.

15. 320090T

My sister in law lives in the area and not all of the residents want the club gone. Many would rather have the club than 150 more families using 113th street.

16. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Good news from IGC -- BATF told Phillip that his FFL was approved and he will be receiving it shortly -- so firearm sales will be returning to Indiana Gun Club soon. I have been told the timeframe, but to save Phillip from mad customers when there is a delay in having the paper in hand (we are talking about the USPS, afterall), I will just put the timeline as "soon".

Have a great weekend everyone!

John

17. 320090T

Has he been granted an Indiana retailer license yet? I don't know if the town has to approve or not but I heard through the grapevine the town of Fishers was balking??????

18. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Not sure if he has a retailer license, per se. He can sell to members as per the original agreement we had with Noblesville. It's rather convoluted, but since the property was never zoned commercial, I don't think he will ever get a retailer's license from Fishersor the State of Indiana. But, as part of the agreement with Noblesville, which Fishers must honor, retail sales can continue to members. This is the reason why the FFL was approved.

So, long story short, Phil should be up an running with a "full" pro shop very soon.

19. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Up for Phillip -- I will post again when he has the FFL in hand.

20. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

Thanks for the good news......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.