1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Independence Day

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by flashmax, Jul 4, 2013.

1. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

John Adams wrote to his wife, Abigail, these words;

The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.

To mark the day when the Second Continental Congress, in secret session, approved the Resolution of Independence. He was off by a couple of days but only because we celebrate the Signing date instead of the Resolution date. That succeding generations of politicians have supressed the methods of Celebration only demonstrates the validity of the original declaration. Fire a gun? OOOOOh NOOOooo. Bonfires? Not any more. Illuminations ( fireworks? ) only by 'approved persons'. The citizenry is bound up inside regulations to the point we are no longer a free people.

Let's all go to the Big Sale.

Don T. Littleton CO

2. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

http://www.capitolhilldaily.com/2013/07/freedom-constitution/

3. GGCGuy

GGCGuy TS Member

I couldn't agree more with you. I think for the years coming up our Independence Weekend shoot should include the 4th no matter when it falls.

4. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

HIJACK. HeH.

If the 4th falls on the Thur., Fri., or Mon., it makes sense. Tues. and Weds. not so much but that will let you shoot a lot of targets most years. Just a couple of years in the middle for maintenance. HeH.

If the money payouts match what has gone out up to now it might be worthwhile. One fellow took a bit over 500 bux from the 200 Singles today and another took around 250 bux. Tomorrow will tell the tale I think. Good targets, good weather, great people to shoot with. Word of mouth is going to make the work Golden Gun Club duid to put this weekend together pay off I think. We have folks from 4 States that I know of out this weekend and some very respectable scores were turned in. More shooters mean bigger paydays if a person shoots well.

Don T. Littleton CO