1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Indemnity Release Form

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by topgun, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topgun

topgun TS Member

The gun club that hosts our state shoot has instituted a policy of making ALL members and guests sign an indemnity or hold harmless release form which states that one will not sue the gun club. I may be some old dinosaur but this requirement does not sit well with me and whereas I don't think I'd be interested in sueing my own club I would like to think my family would have some recourse should I be killed or injured on the club grounds (at least due to club negligence). Many folks in the shooting fraternity (mostly from other clubs) are refusing to shoot or compeat at the club because of feeling the same way. Due to a backlash from this policy a well attended meeting was recently held with the clubs attorney. That person more or less implied that without the waivers the club would have a hardtime getting liability insurance at all or at a price it could afford. I suppose todays legal climate as witnessed by the medical profession's posture on defensive medicine is a similar situation. Question is do any of you folks have any background on indemnity releases and/or how the major trap shooting venues are operating insurancewise?

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

They mean nothing if the club in negligent, you can't sign your rights away.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Contact the NRA, they have a club insurance program. HMB

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Topgun, are you in New Hampshire??

5. topgun

topgun TS Member

Yes Frank C I'm in the Granite State.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Been using a "waiver" for 20 years... no grumbling, no loss of business, etc... I write my Club's insurance and the carrier typically wants to see a copy of the form we use.

While one may not forfeit their rights, the waiver form typically confirms that the person who signs up, understands that shooting sports, as an avocation, has dangerous aspects.

Our waiver attempts to indemnify our Club, the range operator (parks department) and landowner (City). Further ours pointedly references our inability to shoot/possess lead ammunition and requires only target-type ammunition...

If you'd like a copy, email me at the above address... its a word document drafted by the legal counsel from our parks department.

regards all

jay

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Topgun. We have one of those at the Minneapolis Gun Club. Perhaps more than one person has refused to sign it. One is all we are aware of and we are a public club, open to day shooting by non-members. There may be more. But as SBX says so well, you can not indemnifiy the club from negligence. If the club is at fault in any way, the courts will side with the person. On the other hand if you go drinking after a shooting session and get into an accident you will waste your legal fees trying to collect because of drowning you sorrows for bad scores.

New people come in all the time and sign the form. We have pretty good sized trap and skeet shoots at the club.

My peronal opinion is that our legal team is being officious. But I am signed up, a memeber in good standing and shooting good scores.

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Topgun.....if the insurance Company is requiring it, get a new insurance company

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

insurance company gun club release and waiver form