1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Incredible air crash footage

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Watch the news, US Airways crashed in the Hudson River, all safe

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Apparently birds got sucked into the engine. The pilot was able to do a controlled descent and plop it in the river without too much damage to the fuselage.

Nice flying, Cap'n.

3. lc

lc TS Member

Geese were the culprit and I have a solution......let me hunt on the airport grounds and the local area to help them out. Free.

4. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

lc- Have you asked at your local airport?? I personally know of at least 5 bird strike incidents that happened to pilot friends of mine. 3 of them occurred at our local airport. Geese were the culprit on two of them (gulls on the other one) Fortunately in all 5 incidents, although the damage was significant to severe, the flights did not end in a crash or injury. For several years I was on the permit from the DNR to shoot those nusiance birds. The gulls were the easiest to shoot because of their curiosity. The geese got wise after the first several were shot and became quite a challange, just like late season honkers.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

The Fed. Gov't. has a group of people within the Dept. of Ag. (I think) called Animal Damage Control, whose specialty is culling nuisance animals. Livestock predators, overpopulated deer, and such. Airports is a significant area of work for them. I know they've done work at LaGuardia before. It's a major safety issue. It can range anywhere from shooting the birds themselves, to getting rid of forage species like small rodents in grassy infields between runways that birds of prey feed on (which attracts them to the A.P. in the first place).

I knew engines were designed to be able to sustain a certain amount of damage...but I guess we all got a real good engineering lesson today, didn't we?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.