1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Increasing capacity of a Western 1577A Trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Can the capacity of a Western 1577A trap's carousel be increased to hold more than one relay's worth of clays? Has anyone done this, say, by extending the guide rods that hold the clays another foot? Someone once said that the trap's main bearings wouldn't be able to take on the increased weight (less than 30 pounds); doesn't seem like very much added weight. Any experiences or insights would be appreciated. thanks.

Porcupine

2. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Yes, there are extensions that you can buy. Prior to going to PATs the Yuma club used 1577 with the extensions. One of the companies that has a link on this sight sells a set, but they are spendy. But to make a set your self would be extremely labor intensive.

3. traploader

traploader Member

Porcupine,

Folks said the same thing to me when we designed the automatic loaders for the v1524 Western handset trap. It's a common concern. Winchester made these machines very strong. You're talking about another 35lbs of targets. I'd go ahead. Just tell the naysayers that you can buy the whole trap for a couple hundred bucks so there's not much to risk.

Ian Brotherston
    Western Retro Products Ltd.

4. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

cdconley,

What is the name of the company that sells these extensions? Thanks.

Porcupine

5. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Porcupine,

It’s been a few years since I was looking for the same thing you are. I think it was Golden West that had them but I’m not sure. What I am sure about is that I contacted several of the sources that have links on this site for trap machine parts and service until I found one. I knew that they were available because our club Yuma Trap and Skeet, prior to switching to PATs had 1577s with the extensions. BTW they worked excellently well with the extensions.

The only reason I didn’t buy them was because I thought they were priced too high. I thought that if I simply took them to a local machine shop they could make me a set for less. In the mean time I got a great deal on a Remington 9700 doubles machine that holds enough targets for 4 rounds. So my 1577 is in the barn for backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.