1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Increased prices..Longterm ramifications?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BrowningPotato, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Reading some of the threads here about increased shot prices got me thinking about the longterm ramifications on the sport.

Many here have said if shot gets to $50 a bag they will quit. Combine this with increased gas prices to drive to the club and less disposable income and the novelty of trap shooting may lose its appeal. If this were to happen clubs will start losing money and forced to close there doors. The value of trapguns will likely plummet because not as many people will be shooting.

Could increased shot prices, target prices, club fees, etc... eventually make the sport obsolete or at least cost prohibitive for all but the rich?

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

YES--YES-- AND YES.... Ross Puls

3. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

If your guns are for sale please let me know ????

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

There's no logical reason to worry about stuff you can't control, and if you can control it you don't need to worry over it!

If it happens it happens! It is what it is!

Some of you guys are way serious downers!

MK

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Expect to lose money on any trap guns you own. It will not be as great a loss as selling a boat. Be alert for bargains on guns you have have "lusted" for as prices will continue to drop.

The price of lead will only go so high before we start using steel (at least for practice). My guess is when "bulk" buys of lead get around $75/bag. At $50/bag I am reloading for under $55/flat. At 75$/bag my costs are $72/flat. ( 1 1/8 oz loads) Compared the total cost of a shoot, this is not going to have much of an impact for competitive shooters. Where is will hurt is practice and recreational shooting. Look at more people using 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads when shooting for "fun". Look at clubs increasing dues or "special assessments" to stay open. Trap only clubs will not survive - 5 stand and Sporting Clays bring in "fun" shooters.

I think we are wasting money on the programs for young shooters. Very few will stick with the sport due to either finding girls, finding boys, or the economics of the game. It will not be a hobby for the average Joe/Jane.

Just my $.02

Don Verna

6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

The price of my trap gun may plumit but I will have the coolest squirrel gun in this county!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry Lewis

7. missed some

missed some TS Member

I was gonna stop chewing tobacco when it hit 35 cents a can, then i said if it hits a dollar I'm done! 40 years later still dippin

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I would think it would be better for one to cut back on there trap shooting rather than quit. If it is something you love why stop it.

9. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

"Could increased shot prices, target prices, club fees, etc... eventually make the sport obsolete or at least cost prohibitive for all but the rich?"

Far as I'm concerned...it already has.

10. missemucho

missemucho Member

Check out this link; lead prices are and always have been cyclical.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html
    John

11. higun

higun Member

"I'll never spend more for a vehicle that I paid for this house!"

never say never

12. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

N.J. Bob,

My trap gun may be, I really don't want to give up the sport, I really do still enjoy it. If I sell my gun, then I no longer need my reloader, or all my components and if I let all that go I doubt I will get back into the sport, I don;t know if I am ready for that yet.

Buuut I havent shot in a year and its not looking good for this year either... the Browning may be listed on here shortly.

13. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I believe the laws of supply and demand will apply.

As lead goes up in price, producers will increase mining and production capabilities. Scrap will come out of the woodwork also, should prices go to $1.00 a pound.

No doubt prices will go up, but there will be some limit. There is plenty of lead still in the ground.

The bigger problem is the demonization of elemental lead by the environmental-antigun-government complex.

14. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I also do not understand how pistol and rifle ammo seems to have gone down in price over the last couple months while shot has gone up.

They are both lead but pistol and rifle ammo uses copper as well, yet the price is steady, whats the deal?

15. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Higun,

I hear ya loud and clear,I built my house in 1966,1800 sq.ft. Cape for $24,900.00,I just priced a new Tahoe last week,--$54,000.00,Thats a freakinn mortgage now.AND IT AINT GONNA GET ANY BETTER !!!!!!.

Sandy Holehouse.

16. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

I'm sorry to inform a lot of you this sport was never intended for average Joe's! this sport is for the Wealthy and Elite of Society, how many of you commoners attend Polo matches or go to the Opera or Broadway shows, most of you are or where bowlers, card players or pool players. The people with money will continue to shoot, the rest will retrier to a more app-orate activities for there income. Good Luck!

17. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Think pretty highly of yourself huh Darkness... I know many people that I would consider wealthy and none of them have this "hollier than thou" attitude...

Money wont buy you friendship, particularly not with that attitude..

18. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

I shouldn't jump in yet, but I see by your response, your unfamiliar with some of my fine cast that I posted over the years just to get some adverse reaction on a subject. sorry I shouldn't have used suck a Big lure.

19. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Slipping all I can do is laugh, you got me wound up Ill admit it....well played sir

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.