1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Inconsistent with high shooting gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by everettjunior, Aug 15, 2013.

1. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

I bought a Kolar TS and it came with all 3 ribs, the highest shooting rib was on it and when I first started shooting it I was breaking 23-24/25 at first, then slowly my scores dropped off, I've had the same problem with other guns. If I get the space gun or model 12 out, I start breaking targets again. My scores in registered with the high shooting set up was only 80/100 which just isn't good at all. So my dad told me to put the lowest shooting rib on my kolar the 60/40 rib and lower the comb and shoot it like my model 12. I'm going to try that to see if I get some improvemnet. I know all of the hype about high shooting guns etc. I've even had him take some video of me shooting to see if I was lifting my head etc and I'm not, I keep my head down in the gun until the last piece falls, I don't flinch etc. I just cannot seem to figure out why whenever I shoot a higher shooting gun at first I just crush targets for a few days then fall off and go in the crapper.

2. Ponytail in WI

Ponytail in WI TS Member

It maybe simply how you shoulder the gun. That needs to be as consistent as holding your cheek to the stock. If everytime you change guns you shoot high scores and then then settle back into a lower score..its not the gun! P.S. changing guns and raising and lowering the set up is not helping you. Trapshooting is aboput consistency. Good luck to you.

Rick

3. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I think you are on the right track with your Dad's advice. Give it a try. High shooting guns are not for everyone.

Tom

4. bigben

bigben Active Member

Junior, go to a trap and have a game I call "screw the shooter" during the round, someone will turn off the trap, when you call pull, your eyes and the gun will move UP, the target has NOT come out of the house yet, however your gun will move up , shooting a flat gun, you may get away with it , a little higher impact, DEATH, 95% of all shooters do this, the other 5% who do not move the eyes or the gun on call are the ones that clean your clock at the big shoots. try it it will be very enlightenig! incinerate em!

5. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Realizing benefit with a high shooting gun will require a change in technique.

That will take quite a while, 5000 shells or so.

Your dad is right. Go back to 60/40 for the 16. Stay with it, save the high POI for 27 yard handicap. Regards, GAP

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

As said by Tom S. above, high shooting guns aren't for everyone! So true! BUT,, why is that?

Depends on several things besides POI. How you attack a moving target, how much you move the barrel to intercept it. How you make the proper bird/bead/barrel relationship with a trap target will also dictate to you what your true POI should be. Stopping the vertical move also plays an important part in POI which is hardly ever mentioned yet VERY important!!

In order to get back to your basics, follow your dads advice first! Tom S. can verify how important a video camera is in picking up an un-known to the shooter, little moves the shooter isn't aware he's making!! Until you actually see yourself making that wrong move, it's almost impossible for another shooter to tell you in terms you'll actually understand OR believe!!

HAP

7. kenf

kenf Active Member

Have you patterned the gun to know where exactly it is shooting? I started shooting with an 870 Trap, that maybe shot 60/40 and thought that a flat shooting gun was the way to go, track and cover the target- blammo. It wasn't until I got a Citori Plus, and started raising the POI that my scores consistently got better, but I was always mystified by the gun that shot 100% high until watching Harlan Campbells DVD. Shooting a gun that high is definitely different. I see where it requires a whole different shooting style (holding on the house vs. holding a 'high gun'.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'm in User 1's camp!!

9. Michael Knight

Michael Knight Member

Give the guys at KOLAR a call, they were a big help to me.

10. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

I did pattern the gun and that seemed to help. I'm gonna try it at 60/40 for a bit. Thank you everyone for the advice.