1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

+++Inconsistent Shot Sizes+++

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Easystreet, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

All you reloaders should check your shot sizes in every bag. I use a lot of #8.5 shot for close shots in sporting clays. I just finished reloading the last of a bag of Lawrence Brand Magnum size 8.5 shot which was actually a little bigger than standard size 8.5 shot.

Then, this morning I opened a new bag of Lawrence Brand Magnum size 8.5 shot. When I poured the shot out into a plastic container, I noticed immediately that the shot looked much smaller than the previous bag of shot which was also marked 8.5 shot.

After doing some careful weighing and counting of several samples, I determined that the new bag of shot was actually just slightly larger than #9 shot on average. There were an average of 566 pellets per ounce which is close to the 585 pellets per ounce of #9 shot. This is much smaller than the 485 pellets per ounce of true 8.5 shot.

So, I opened another bag of the exact same shot (Lawrence Brand Magnum size 8.5) and this time I counted and weighed and determined that the shot in this bag was 500 pellets per ounce which is still smaller than the 485 pellets per ounce that size 8.5 is supposed to be.

Out of 3 different bags of the Lawrence Brand Magnum shot, all of which was marked size "8.5", I had pellets ranging (on average) from 460 pellets per ounce to 566 pellets per ounce. Remember, this was the "AVERAGE" for each entire bag. I'm sure there were individual pellets in the bags that varied far more than that.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I wish I had that much time on my hands.

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

All factory shot is bagged on an average. If you buy a bag of 8 shot, that means the shot that is in the bag is on average, size #8, or close to it. That's why I like making my own shot, I'm always going to have 8 shot and nothing else. Turns birds to dust too! Josh

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

Hard shot will have more bb's per ounce than soft shot.

Density varies with Antimony content.

Don

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Ha, I loved that one Brian

6. Easystreet

Some of you guys seem to be missing the point I was trying to make. All 3 bags of shot were from the same manufacturer and were marked identically as size "8.5" magnum shot, yet the shot in each bag was noticeably different in size even to the naked eye. Weighing small samples and counting the number of shot in the small samples confirmed just how different the shot sizes were in each bag. The shot size was consistent WITHIN EACH BAG, but not from bag to bag.

If you want to believe that this is just "normal" variance due to blending or whatever, then that's your choice. I'll continue to check the shot size so that I'll know what I'm REALLY shooting, not just what's marked on the shot bag.

Easystreet

7. 100straight

100straight Member

Check some Remington STS shot. I think you'll find it is far more consistent than Lawrence. I'll load Lawrence shot for practice if I can get it at a good price, but I only shoot STS shot in competition. I checked shot quality and consistency several years ago and found that STS shot was the best to be had.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

SAAMI standards permit sizing one size deviation from what is printed.

If you want to be even more freaked out then cut open a factory Nitro 27 handicap shell and sort the shot by size.

Advertised as 1 1/8oz of 7 1/2s - good luck getting more than 1/2 oz of stated size.

The best shot I've ever used was homemade and screened for size uniformity - a bag of 7 1/2s was just that - incredible performance.

9. BD Trapshooter

BD Trapshooter Member

100 Straight - Where are you getting STS shot and at what price?

Thanks,

Dan McDermott

10. 100straight

100straight Member

Dan,

I'm still shooting some I bought in the past. About 2-1/2 years ago I got a chance to buy a pallet of shot at a good price. As I recall I paid around $15 a bag, tax included. I think I know where I can get some more, but I don't know the price. I can call tomorrow and ask. It would be in Illinois.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

11. BD Trapshooter

BD Trapshooter Member

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. That was a great price! I have a few bags left from 2005 that I paid $13.00 a bag for and some I bought from from a guy getting out at $20.00 per bag recently. I would like to know what you come up with. I am in Wisconsin.

Dan

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Ok....OooooKaaaaay, Easystreet! I'll tell you what. I'll take all of your "mixed" Lawrence shot off your hands for $20/bag and save you from the obvious time-consumming effort of sorting. Hey! That's one less thing you'll have to worry about when you are on the line thinking about all the gremlins that will cause you to miss! Seriously......the clay won't know the difference what size shot broke it. I've shot #9s (what are Lawrence 9's comprised of?) from the back line and smoked 'em, so I for one am not fazed by shot size, or if it's "mixed" or not. I agree that if you are shooting from loooong range, you want nothing but #7 1/2s, but fron Trap distances, what Lawrence puts in the bag WILL work just fine! A good example is to shoot reclaimed shot from the 16 ~ 20 yd line. Talk about a mixed bag of sizes! They clays always go POOF when the Indian does his job! And reclaimed shot is USED and ABUSED as well as mixed! Do yourself a favor and don't "sweat the small sh!+". AndyH

P.S. I'll still take all of your Lawrence shot.....PM me.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Fortunately our quarry (the clay bird) will turn to powder when hit by a few #8, #81/2, #9 or a mixture of all three. Now you just need to get those evil statistics out of your mind and put the shot on target.

14. Easystreet

Andy,

Thanks, but no thanks. I can sell it to a local skeeter for more than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.