1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Inconsistent Powder Drop on MEC 9000-H

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jerryw, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Excessive Powder Drop on MEC 9000-H

I am loading a 1 oz. load using Red Dot powder. I have been reloading this load for some time using a 33 bushing I was getting about 17.8 grains. This morning I ran about 10 through and weighed one it was 17.4, ran about 10 more through and it weighed the same. I changed to a 34 bushing expecting to see about 18.0 grains. Ran about 10 through weighed 1 and it was 19.1 grains, ran about 10 more through and it weighed about the same. Normally going up 1 bushing size gives me about .5 or .6 gain in powder. I am using the same batch of Red Dot. I am using a baffle for the powder. Has anyone experienced this?
    Thanks
    Jerry Walker

2. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Title should have read Excessive Powder drop.
    Jerry W

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jerry, I'd kinda clean things up, tubes, bars, bottles even, and start over with the bushing you've relied on all this time. Then I'd check out the scale well, make sure it's accurate with a test weight or a rifle or pistol bullet of a known weight. If the scale is a balance beam, it will easily make a change if it's being move around without re-zeroing after each move. Once done if the #33 "seems" to be dropping a bit less than it was on previous sessions, I'd likely not worry about 3 or 4 10ths difference - you'll never notice the difference shooting it. It is these strange happenings though, that drive us anal ones to the adjustable bar and then we suffer from such analosity as to be painful. And, yes, I do use the H model for much of my loading...breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Thanks for the reply Bob. I am just now doing that. I have torn the machine down and am in the process of cleaning and checking things out. I am using a digital scale. I am going to check weigh it and make sure it is accurate. At other times with a different batch of Red Dot I have had to use the 34 bushing to get close to the desired weight. It just surprised me that 1 bushing size changed the weight about 1.7 grains. Thanks
    Jerryw

5. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

According to MEC a .5 difference is acceptable by their standards. If you have a good scale

6. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Air temp and humididty make a difference too!

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've seen wide variations between lots of Red Dot at odd times, but not usually from the same lot. If the powder was not left in an unsealed container or powder bottle, it could make a slight difference, but I'd be looking at the hardware to make sure nothing is loose, bent, broken, or out of adjustment. Make sure the bar travels fully from side to side, etc. A four tenths difference isn't earth shaking for the same bushing, but I would wonder about 1.7 grains increase from a 33 to a 34 bushing. That's about a grain too much increase, but 19.1 is more in line for the 34 bushing, as mine throws close to that on the average. 17.4 - 17.8 grains of Red Dot seems light for a 33 bushing, but that's not to say it's abnormal. Check the press and check the scale and make sure there is no air movement around the scale. No fans or A/C vents, etc. I've had some inconsistencies with certain lots of powder when I got near the bottom of the jug. Never figured out why and it went away with a new lot of powder. I got rid of my powder baffles also, since I never saw a difference when using them. It's just one less thing to have mess up.

8. AAleadvail27

AAleadvail27 TS Member

Make sure your pulling the handle all the way down.
    Use anti-static sheet wraped on the bottle .
    Dump the powder after every session back into container .
    Load at a consistent room temp .
    Use a powder baffle.

This is what works for me .

Bob

9. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

O.K I think the problem is solved. I took the bar out and checked everything. I put it back together with the 33 bushing. I had forgotten that I had moved the scale and had not recalibrated it. I recalibrated it and weighed some,17.9 -18.1. 18.0 is what the Alliant reloader guide calls for in this particular load. I guess you could say DUMB OPERATOR ERROR. I too use a anti-static sheet. Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate the help.

Jerryw

10. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

You can buy a weight kit to check your scale from any reloading store or cat. I have one and I use it to check the scale per usage. I have also had to send the scale back for repair because of what ever went wrong with it. Its a must for the reloader.

I have also grounded the loader with copper wire. You can ground it by the light socket center screw, water pipe if copper or take the wire out to the phone ground wire. This will help. I do it just to do it to make sure that problem never comes up.

I also went to the pet store and got an fish tank air rater.(sp) They cost any where from $5.00 to $15.00. I plugged the air hole to make it vibrat more and put it on a piece of metal plate and then put the plate between the powder and shot. It has been worth the time and money becasue I have better powder loads then I did before.

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

why do you people use bushings you are nuts get a universal bar i hate these dumb reloaders mec is the best on market if you know how to reload if you dont stay away thoses HI priced ones dont do a damn bit better just painted or plated and dont have a ajusted bar

12. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

JW You might just want to try that 19 grains of RD. I find real hard hits with 1 oz at about 1220 from my bore. I am loading 19 of Promo/Red Dot and end up at 1180/1220/1240 for 1 1/8, 1 oz and 7/8 oz. I do use and adjustable bar in all my MECs and would use none other. Also they come standard in the Dillon and other more spensive loaders so must be the way to go.

13. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Thanks for the replies. I loaded 600 shells yesterday (after getting my head out of you know what)and it is going very well. I tried a used and abused adjustable bar several years ago and had some problems. I guess I should try a new one, sounds like the way to go.

Thanks
    Jerryw

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry- For a quick check of powder scale, weigh a dime and/or a washer. Write the weights on them with a felt marker and use them now and then to check your scale.

Powder is not hygroscopic so humidity should not effect drop weights. Others have stated that temperature will effect drop weights but I can not understand how. Packing in the powder bottle will effect drop weights. A baffle should help prevent this. The speed which the handle is pulled will also effect powder drops. Two different people can load on the same press and get two different drop weights.

You were very wise to use your scale. It told you something was wrong and you figured out it was the scale.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.