1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

inconsistent crimps mec 9000

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I can not figure out why I am getting some crimps loading nitro golds with 9000 manual press. The green sts do fine and most of the nitros have a good crimp but some have a dome on the final crimp. I am using the 15.5 titewad 1 oz down range wad chedite primers. Why are some closing like factory loads and others have a dome or slight bulge in the final shell.I do not get how I am getting the inconsistent crimps when majority are ok? Help

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shells with different volumes could be the cause or your press could be throwing inconsistent charges. Take one of the domed shells apart and see if you can figure it out. HMB

3. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

FWIW: Could it be that you're short stroking on some pulls of the handle? While training my Grandsons I would notice that they could get inconsistent powder drops and different crimps, at times. We discovered that a consistent rhythm and full lever pulls prevented these inconsistencies.

I watch two things with my MEC's. First is the primer drop, the second is the wad/shot height (relative to the case mouth) at station 4. Just FYI.

Kip

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

On the downstroke, make sure the little wad pressure indicator moves at least a littl bit, like about an eighth inch. Thhis will insure the wad is down on the powder.

You should have a half inch of space in the hull once the shot is in. More and the crimp will be bad. Some say 7/16 but I found more consistency using 1/2.

Look at all your hulls before loading, for height(length) differences. Crimps will vary with different hull lengths.

In my case, domed crimps mean the plastic has gone soft from repeated loading. this usually doesn't happn till about number 9 or 10.

HM

5. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I have noticed this happens mainly with the Nitro (gold) Remington hull. When they first came out there was a visible difference in length and they tend to stretch a bit with use. Mine will show the swirl pattern on occasion but most crimp fine.

6. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I think ExFedex hit the nail on the head. I have noticed a variance in the length of STS hulls over the years. Sometimes as much as 1/10 - 1/8 inch. If your press is set up for one length and you get a few of the others, you will notice it in the final product.

Jeff

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Striper are you using the Down Range Orange XXL 1 ounce wad? I was having problems with this wad and got rid of them, as they are actually too tall of a wad, and I was getting off sounding and some bloopers. These wads are for straight hulls like Federal and Rio.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Robb

Robb Member

GoldEx has it. I found it more in the green ones than the gold but if you mic a few you will see.

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Something different to look at.....how OLD is the 9000? My for lack of a better word "hindges" developed elongated holes, allowing for some slop, thus the crimp starter was basically useless. I ripped my hair out...MEC service had me check and sure enough the holes were worn. These are the black 3 -4 inch long metal bars. If I can find my camera I will snap a pick later and post. On your downstroke watch the little roller on the 5th (R rear) station against the cam (check the roller too for a flat spot. No matter what I did, or adjusted I could NOT get rid of the hole in the middle of the crimp, replacing the parts cured it instantly...

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

the parts I am talking about fit to the end of this (broken) arm, I think you can detect oval holes on the end of the arm too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.