1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Inconsistent 700X drop

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I am loading with a 9000H with the Universal Charge Bar. Now before any of you post that I need to get rid of the charge bar let me say this. I have loaded with Clays for many years and it was a non issue with the accuracy of the powder drop, always within .1 - .05 grains.

Anyway, I recently purchased 8 lbs of 700X because my supplier was out of Clays. I am loading some 1oz loads with 16.5 grains with CB1100-12 wad and I have found that my drops are inconsistent. It has have gone from 15.4 grains to 16.0 only hitting 16.5 one time in 8 readings.

Why is the 700X being so inconsistent?

Bryan

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It must be the powder. I just had a friend of mine give me a 5 lb can because his drops were so bad. HMB

3. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Try this setup. It should take care of your issues. Make sure you are using a powder baffle.
    [​IMG]

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Back when I loaded on a Mec press, I had issues with certain powders when using a baffle. You didn't mention whether or not your press had on.

ss

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

TrapCrazy, Your a wild and crazy guy!!! Now where did I hear that. LOL. Bryan, 700X used to drop very well for me in the past, but you are like the thrid person who has now complaned about bad drops with that powder. Did they make the flakes bigger like the Red Dot I wonder. Are you using a powder baffle now? Do you notice any stadic kling? Is your machine binding on some way causing it to shake more on one drop over the next? Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Sorry about that BrYan, I fixed it.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bryan... I reloaded 700X for years and never had much problem with powder drops. That being said, I did, and still do, use a fabric softener sheet in the powder bottle and a pot metal powder baffle.....

TrapCrazy..... I give up, where does the shot drop from on your set up?......

Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I to had the same problem so I grounded the loader and that helped to a point. I also put fish tank air rator on the loader to vibrat the powder in to the bushing. That did alot of good.

8. shrek

shrek Active Member

I use 700x through a mec grabber with a red pc baffle and it has been extremely consistent for me.

knock on wood now.

9. Calkidd

No I do not use a baffle, maybe that might be the trick.

Auctioneer; What are you grounding your loader too and how did you mount this aerator?

Jeff; The machine moves fairly smooth with nothing out of the ordinary. Static doesn't appear to be an issue.

Dan; I might try that fabric softener.

10. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

That's not my setup, I use 8 baffles. :) I saw that somewhere else can it gave me a good laugh. Thought it would fit here.....

11. locdoc

locdoc Member

calkidd,

Years ago, in another reloading life, I loaded on a MEC 8567 Grabber and had TERRIBLE consistency with 700X. That is until I put ONE baffle under the powder bottle. Without it drops were .5 or .6 EITHER side of the desired drop weight. Using the baffle my drops went to a very consistent + or - .1 gr. That made a believer out of me.

ymmv

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I have no problem with 700X, purchased 4 8 lb. jugs of it 2 years ago. I just did a check on 5 shells, the readings were, 16.5, 16.5, 16.3, 16.5, 16.3. that's close enough for me and I am using a large shot bottle for powder along with a baffle.

13. Calkidd

Well it looks like the commonality here with those of you that are getting consistent drops are those of you using baffles.

Thanks for the replies.

Bryan (with a "Y")

14. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I just finished a 12 pound keg of 700x last week.. on my wifes shells I was dropping 14.3 on my shells 17.5.. 2-3 out of every box of hers would sound like a half dud.. people would look, laugh, snicker.. she would give me a mean look.. but.. on my shells.. all were the same.. why.. I have no idea..

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`ve been loading 700X for the last 20+ years and have yet to have inconsistant drops . I use a 366 with the plastic baffles made for the tubes . Maybe there is inconsistancies with the thrust of your bar which might not be dropping the total amount from your bar ??

16. Calkidd

Well since I now need a baffle does anyone have an extra one they can part with?

Bryan

17. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Where do you buy these MEC baffles? I can't find one at Midway.

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bryan.... Check your PM. I may have an extra one in the shop... Dan

For those of you that are looking for the baffles, Cabelas has them.... Click on the above link, search for "powder baffle"... Dan

19. shrek

shrek Active Member

I get mine from Recobs

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bryan, just one more thing that needs to be said before you run out and buy something I have never needed. Make sure you hold the handle down for a good 1,2 count before lifting the handle. The powder fills up only while the handle is totally down. I like to look at primer drop and wad pressure (if this is light so is the powder charge) then lift the handle. This accounts for so many short powder drops. Try it while holding the handle down like this. Its good to do as you get better more consistant pre=crimps and final crimps at the same time. I know its a pain in the backside to hold down, thats why so many loaders now are going for the auto-mate by Mec. While the Hydro loaders may like the foot petal and maybe get some extra speed, the Auto-mate cyles at the perfect speed every time for best (consisant) powder and shoot drops. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Not sure why I did not think of this before!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.