1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

inaccurate shot sizes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jack Frost, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I just bought one ton of shot and I am having the same problem though I will mention that the shot I got is west coast. With a digital caliper it is easy to see there is a wide range in size in a bag of 7.5's. The last ton of shot I had was Star shot and it was great stuff. This new stuff seems to break targets if you don't think about the off sizes.

J.F.

2. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

You failed to mention what the difference was according to the caliper. I don't think there is but about .003 difference between 7.8 and 8. Might be wrong. Anyway, since I have started making shot and bought screens to grade it in 7.5 and 8, i have found it is almost impossible to see the difference when they are sorted and laid side by side. Aim well! They will do the rest.

3. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I've been miking shot for years. In "7 1/2" you can find 0.955 down to 0.930 in sizing (7 1/2 is nominally 0.095). Most of it is on the small size end. This is just the averaged size. You can expect to see every size in your sample. (You need to do at least a 50 pellet sample measurement. As Larry Nailon of Clearview Products points out, you need a 300 pellet sample for confidence.)

It extends to factory shells as well; a reasonable expectation. To deliver true-sized 7 1/2 shot costs too much in production time. Few shooters can tell the difference in the way a target breaks. I don't see that it really matters except at target distances greater than 40 yards.

- - Bill

4. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I think the $100k was won at the grand shooting #8's from the 27..you will be just fine..

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Regardless of the sizing process, there will always be a particle size distribution with spherical products. When it comes to shot, a little #8 in your bag of 7 1/2 is very normal and Ill bet there are some #7 as well. Load it and shoot it and don't give it another thought.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

wolfram- I agree with you, but #7 shot is still illegal for ATA shoots no matter how the bag is labeled. My suggestion is to buy premium shot, read the number on the bad and convince yourself that the bag is labeled correctly. Don't measure the shot in the bag. I will cost you confidence in your shells.

I believe that I shoot 7.5 shot from the 27, but the truth is that I don't really know what size shot I am shooting.

Also, don't measure the shot in some discount factory shells. Some have real shot size problems.

Pat Ireland

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Agreed about the #7 not being ATA legal but I'll but there are more than a couple 'big' pellets in every bag of shot we buy. Never had anyone actually check my shot size but maybe if I was in the handicap winner circle all the time (or ever) someone may take interest.;)

8. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Pro's don't shoot reloads.

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Just do what I do and use a mic on each pellet. After you mic 3 or 4 bags of shot you will have one 25 pound sack that are within 1/2 of 1 thousandth of each other. That is about the best you can hope for. If you insist they all mic the same it can take as many as 10 to 12 sacks of shot to put togather a whole 25 pound sack that are the same size. It can be a little time consuming putting the Mic to each pellet but I think it is worth it. Jeff

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I came across a article out here on the web about shotgun shot.
    By memory it said something like this.

Acceptable deviation in shot size as compared to the lable is aprox +/- .005

#7 1/2 is .094
    #8 is .089 hmmm .005 difference and it could go as high as .099

so if they accept this as normal in the industry: more or less if it says 7 1/2
    it could be 8s and it would be ok.

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

cut open ANY shell they are mix after size 7 1/2
    remember if target breaks in 1/2 it counts that could be a no 6 that got it

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

SuperXJeff.....Nearly Pi$$ed my pants! So True!! Waaaayyyyy Tooooo many worry about TRIVIAL SH!T, when all they have to do is learn how to point their guns in the right place! Many of the people I shoot with use 7/8oz of #8 @1200fps from ANYWHERE on the Trap line for "practice" shooting and do very well; myself included! Spray & Pray with 1&1/8oz loads only helps when you are too lazy to practice! JMHO.

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Pat, was consulted on a case from Ohio where a shooter was protested and found to be shooting (mostly) 7's. I had just loaded some shells from a bag of Lawrence 7 1/2's and pellet-counting proved them to be 7's. My advice to the club in Ohio included my results. I never heard much more about it.

Neil

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

SuperXJeff- You have a flaw with your method of measuring each shot with a micrometer. Your post suggested that you only measured one axis of each shot. But each individual shot is not a true sphere.

Is a shot that measures as 7.5 on one axis and 7 on another axis legal? Some factory shot and a lot of reclaimed shot will shot this variation.

gslam- You asked what brand of shot to buy. For the last several years I have been using both West Coast and Lawrence mag shot. My last order was for 20 bags #8 mag and 15 bags #7.5 mag. I requested premium shot but did not specify a brand. It came in as Lawrence because that is what the distributor had in stock. I look at the bag and accept the number printed on the bag as accurate and I don't worry about the variation that I know may be in the bag.

Pat Ireland

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

When new shot is run through the sizing hopper screen (if it even is), the deviation of the screen will be more than +/- .005, especially as it gets worn, bent, and dirty. How often are they cleaned or replaced, maybe when one get a split in it.....

16. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Pat Ireland:

For the record, nothing in SuperXJeff's post says or implies he only measures one axis. His methodology might be flawed but that has yet to be determined. You however, seem to suggest a two axis measurement is adequate. This clearly isn't the case for eliptical and other irregular shot pellets.

I spent a fair amount of time back in the day taking multiple measurements of each pellet. That all ended when I bought an optical scanner and electron microscope. Now I use the scanner and appropriate software to evaluate pellets which I sort by size, shape, and weight.

I use the scanning electron microscope to identify pellets with dimples similar to those on golf balls. I save those for long yardage handicap.

Hope that helps.

sissy

17. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I make certain all the dimples are exactly the same size and oriented correctly! Never fails me when I point my gun properly! AndyH :)

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've known for a long time that the bags are not labelled correctly. They only become "Shot" when you have used them. Until then, they are "Un-Shot".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.