1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IN YOUR OPINION, WHAT IS THE WORST CAR EVER MADE?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    in my opinion, there is a tie for first place. both chevys from70's. one was a chevette, the other i can't remember the name, came out before the chevette had an aluminum engine, bad car, was when gm was trying to compete with the japanese with first entry of gas proficent small cars. anyone remember the name of the chevy iam trying to remember?
    steve Balistreri

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Steve..I'm betting you are thinking of the 1st generation Chevy Vegas..actually Chevettes were not that bad.......My vote for the worst car ever was the Yugo closely followed by the Daewoo

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Yugo hands down

4. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Corvair and Vega Domestic, Yugo foreign. BRGII

5. arnie2

arnie2 TS Member

The 77-85 GM cars with diesel engines and the Cadillac's with the V8-6-4 engine.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

dont forget the Jaguars X series, my best friend owned a Jag MGB Triumph dealership and a lot of the new Jags would not make it 2 miles from the dealer upon delivery

7. beaker100

beaker100 Member

you can be sure any part that falls off a jag is of the highest british quality. lol. sorry i couldn't help it! doug

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

1979 Olds Tornado, with a diesel engine. Great looking car. but 3 engines 4 transmissions, countless heads seals. No trade-in value. Had to give the car to a junk yard so they would tow it off. Like new 72,000 miles, five years old. I've never bought another new GM car.

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Definitely the Yugo. I knew a guy that drove up in our parking lot at work in his mother's Yugo when I was younger. The car was his mom's and it was brand new, having been purchased from the dealer less than 2 weeks prior. He rolled the window down as I walked up to him, and he was laughing. He said "Take a look at this!" And he lifted the steering wheel straight up off of the column. He bought his mom a real car the following week.

10. senior smoke

the vega, i have a friend who purchased a new vega when they first came out. his wife got ill and passed away shortly after. this car has less than 3,000 miles on it in his garage. wonder if even bad cars are worth money to collectors, infact are bad cares collected?
    steve balistreri

11. senior smoke

my friend bob said worst car he ever owned was a fiat. he said it stands for "fix it again tony"
    steve

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Any Audi made more than 10 years ago. Not all that much better now.

13. senior smoke

when i was a teenager, i purchased a corvair monza. i loved that car, fun to drive. my dad was angry at my mother because she signed for it. my dad said the car was a death trap. being a teenager, thinking i new more than my dad, i was upset with him, and ralph nader. when i was in college, guess who came to speak at my college, yes, ralph nader. i raised my hand, told him i didn't appreciate how he was trying to get the corvairs off the road. he said someday, i will be thanking him. as the years went by, my dad got smarter, so did ralph nader. when i look back, purchasing a car with the engine in the back, if i got in an accident, i was not protected. what was i thinking?
    steve balistreri

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The car Ted Kennedy was driving. Couldn't even keep the driver inside it.

15. CalvinMD

I had a friend in Pa. who made a very successful business out of taking those diesel GM cars then replacing the engine and converting them back to gas..he use both 350 or 403 Olds Reman engines...he sold the cars for very reasonable prices and also converted customers cars for a price worth making it a savior for them to get a lot longer life out of their investment. He sold me a nice GMC Sierra Grande 1500 pickup to use for work for a song and it lasted 11 years with me and 4 more to the fellow I sold it to who used it as a boatyard yard truck...the best part was being titled as a diesel..I never had to go to emission inspections

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

worst cars any renault marketed by AMC/Jeep!...
    Joe

17. CalvinMD

Those Amphi-cars were supposed to be an awful nightmare too

18. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Those Vega engines had a alloy design where the pistons ran on the alloy, no liners.

Mercedes bought the design from GM and perfected it to the tune of 100,000 mi. warranty.

GM R&D was always dogged by Marketing whos obsession was to be first with something, usually ill designed.

Regards...Gerald

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    GM all too often shaves corners to save a few bucks, resulting in defective equipment. The piston slap and skirt breakage fiasco of late is one such disaster.<br>
    <br>
    Ford has their own problems with piss poor designs too. There's a storm cloud brewing over problems with their 4.2L V6 engine having chronic failures.<br>
    <br>
    The worst cars from not understanding the market were the Chrysler Airflow (1934-47) and the Ford Edsel.<br>
    <br>
    The worst designed car of all time? From a mechanical standpoint possibly the early Vegas with the aluminum cylinder bores (later fixed with steel liners) and the early V-8 Vegas wherein the engine had to be pulled forward to get to the rearmost two spark plugs, or holes be cut into the firewall. I think these two pale in comparison to the gasoline engines GM converted to diesels (yeah now there's a great marketing decision foisted on consumers). Ford has to lay claim to the Pinto, especially the gutless 1.6L version (using the British Cortina engine), and the ones with the 2000cc engine with an automatic transmission were slugs, and their economy was pretty dismal for what they were supposed to be. Plus they had "ignition" problems, but not under the hood, but rather from the rear gas tank design.

20. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

The Vega was a real nasty design. The Yugo was really poor construction but there was a two stroke Soviet car that was both poorly made and poorly designed however its name escapes me. The Renault Dauphine and the Nash Cosmopolitin (IIRC) were the same car essentially. A friend has one of the Nashes....POS to be sure. The award for worst electronics has to go to Lucas.....I had a couple of British cars and Lucus wiring sucks big time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.