1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

In what state am I a legal resident ATA?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazziuser, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

So recently I have been questioning my residency. I referenced the ATA rule book which made me search the definition of "bona fide resident", still no help. Whenever I've inquired about this before, I've always been told "Well you are in the military", which is good enough for some things (i.e. hunting license, car registration, absentee balloting, etc.), but the ATA rule makes no mention to military. Here are a list of things that factor into the equation:

1. Active duty military
    2. Legal resident of California (taxes, registered voter)
    3. I live in Buena Vista, Ga.
    4. I am getting married next month and plan on staying in Ga. for a very long time. (Laci says forever lol)
    5. I have never shot a state shoot other than in Kingsburg, Ca.
    6. Most years I only register ATA targets at Ca. state shoot.
    7. California Drivers License
    8. I've won two Ca. State DBLS titles since joining the Army
    9. I'm a member of the USAMU (my job is to compete/win INTERNATIONAL Double Trap comps)
    10. I'm allowed unlimited targets/ammuntion to train INTERNATIONAL

So what state does the ATA consider me a resident of?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

CA.....Whats the address on your ATA card??

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The ATA does not mention "legal resident" but rather bona fide resident. It sounds like Georgia to me, but in the end, is up to the BOD of whatever state you try to shoot as a resident in.

'
    "SECTION X
    STATE AND ZONE SHOOTS
    A. RESIDENCE
    No person may compete for ATA trophies or titles in State, Provincial
    or Zone tournaments, unless he/she, for the immediately preceding
    six (6) months, has been a bona fide resident of said Province, State
    or Zone, and a member in good standing of the State or Provincial
    Association and the ATA. No person may compete for any such ATA
    trophies or titles in more than one (1) State, Province or Zone each
    target year. However, nothing shall preclude a shooter from returning
    to the former State, Province or Zone residence and competing for
    trophies in the event he/she has not been a bona fide resident of another
    State, Province or Zone for the immediately preceding six (6) month
    period prior to such competition. In case there is a dispute with respect
    to the residence of a shooter attending a State, Provincial or Zone
    tournament, it shall be the duty of the State or Provincial Association
    (for a State/Provincial Shoot) or the Zone Officials (for a Zone Shoot)
    in which the shoot is being held to rule as to said shooter’s right to
    compete as a resident shooter. The ruling of the State, Provincial
    Association or Zone Officials shall be final."

Neil

4. perazziuser

Shawn & Neil,
    You pasted the same rule but picked different states! lol See where my confusion comes from.....

Jeff Holguin

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I would think the word "permanent" would be the key. If you are a permanent resident of CA then that would be your State of residence. The way i read it is you are a permanent resident of CA and a temporary resident of GA. Until that changes, i would think that would be your answer. It is the same thing that happens with drivers license. Of course as others have said, the State ATA officials may see it different.---Matt

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

The first question I would ask is where you vote. You do have a CA drivers license. For civilians, I do not know about military, you drivers license must be issued by the state of residence. Typically, you would be classified by the address on your average card. This is automatically done with the computer classifications systems I am familiar with.

Pat Ireland

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Hi, Jeff. First of all, congratulations on your engagement and I hope you have a great wedding day and life with Laci.

Second of all, thank you for your fine job in representing the USA along with the rest of the team.

Third, thank you for your service in the military.

Lastly, I sort of ran into the same problem, as Martin and I have a farm in Pennsylvania and one in Kansas. At first, we went back and forth, but I knew that I was going to eventually spend all of my time in Kansas. So I changed my residency from Pennsylvania to Kansas with the ATA, which meant all of my ATA mail went to KS. I still had to shoot as a Pennsylvania resident for 6 months, according the Kansas official (even though I had just married a Kansas boy) until I could officially shoot for Kansas trophies. Since it sounds like you are going to be a permanent Georgia resident (if Laci says so, that will probably be the case....LOL!), then you might run into the same thing as I did. But like Neil said, you should talk with your state official. Are you going to change your permanent residency?

One more thing...are you going to get Laci to shoot trap? We ladies would love to add one more girl to our membership!

8. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If some one in military is permanant duty some where, and has been in that state for at least 6 months, I would think it kinda chicken s%&@ to not let him shoot in that state. Being as he may be in that state for 2 or more years it would make it a burden on the mil guys to have to travel across the continent to compete in a state tournament as a resident. If he's permanant party , been there 6 months should be able to shoot as a resident of that state. This is something that the ATA pres and Executive com should address. Give our military guys a break.

Bob

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

perazziuser,

It is clear to me that you are from the great state of Confusion. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where their home grounds are and when the state shoot is held each year.

I can identify with your plight though my friend being retired military myself.

While active duty we are citizens of the world--possible to have differing Home of Record, Home of Domicile, Home for tax purposes, and where mamma tells us we must reside all at the same time. We can vote in one state, live in another, and legally carry an expired diver's license from yet another.

If it were up to me, it would be your current home of permanent domicile; i.e. the state in which you pay your utility bills, etc.

I would think states with a large military population would be more likely to have delegates who know how to address your question.

All the best.

Guy Babin

10. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

Under federal law your legal residence when you entered the military is your legal residence for the duration of your enlistment! You have to apply to change your residence if you have a need to,but without your requesting it your residence stays the same.Mike Moloney

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Your permanent home of record--yes Mike.

I enlisted in Louisiana.

I changed my home of record for tax purposes to Florida while stationed in Okinawa (FL has no state income tax).

When I later transferred to Maryland, my HOR remained FL, but my new domicile was Maryland. I legaly paid no MD state tax, maintained my FL tags and LA driver's license, and voted absentee in FL elections.

During that 4-year tour in MD, I would think the ATA would say I was a MD resident for competion and issue an ATA card reflecting such.

Guy

12. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Has this been a problem? Have you ever not been allowed to participate in a local ATA event?

Call the ATA and ask them. This sounds like an issue that can easily be resolved with a few people applying reason and understanding.

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

EDIT: I think I misread the facts the first time through.

14. perazziuser

I have not had an issue.......yet. I would just like to play by the rules and have my ducks in a row if anyone were ever to call "foul". I would never try and shoot both California & Georgia State shoots. I've never even shot an ATA shoot in the state where I live now. I would still try my best to get to Kingsburg every year even if I weren't considered a resident by the ATA. I would just like to get this all figured out before someone brings it up before a shoot-off like the example above.

15. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Hmmm maybe you're overthinking this...

Neil says Georgia

Matt and most others said California

but, your future wife already told you ...
    you will reside in Georgia and be happy there

Mark
    3 years trapshooter
    24 years married

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Where does your dog consider home?

No dog, well get one after you get married and settle down in Georgia.

17. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Sounds like you and your wife get to pick the state. Pick Georgia, send a change of address to the ATA, and get a new plactic card and paper card with the GA address. Now you are a resident of GA for ATA purposes and will shoot as a resident in the Georgia State shoot and as a non-resident in any of the other 49 state shoots.

Thanks for your service..

Gary Rickard

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

List "Prado" as your home state..

19. bas

bas Member

I think the State Association would be the ruling body as to your residency. Have you checked the GA State Association Bylaws? They are on their website at www.gatrap.com. You may have to prove, to the the Board of Directors that GA is your primary residence and that you are indeed a resident. In Arizona,and per our Bylaws, we require proof that AZ is the primary residence. Drivers license, voter registration, etc..all forms of proof. However, per the ATA Rules, you cannot compete for ATA/State Titles at the State or Zone level unless you have been a residence for 6 months prior to the state of the tournament and of course, this would be the same for all states.

20. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Since the Military is still a temporary assignment , I would say that where your drivers license is issued should be the ATA residence of where you should list . If you change bases every 6-12 months , this could be very confusing to everyone .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.