1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

In "The Zone"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BTM, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTM

BTM TS Member

In

We often hear people talking about getting in 'The Zone' when shooting. Can anybody explain what this is, how do you get there, what do you expect when you are there and how do you stay in focus for this time span?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In

I will give you a simple explanation of what being in the zone means. Letting your subconscious mind take over the duties of shooting is what being in the zone means. The reason this is a good thing is because the subconscious mind never makes a mistake. It is only when your conscious mind tries to help out that you run into truuble.

I will give you an example. You finnish a day at work and get into your car to drive home. You are thinking about what happened that day at work. The next thing you know, you are pulling into your driveway. You don't remember a thing about the drive home. Your subconscious mind took care of the drive home, no accidents, no crashes, no tickets, it did a flawless job. You were in the zone. HMB

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

In

Being in the Zone for the drive home though is kind of depressing, think of all the hotties you will never remember or realize you saw on the ride home and possibly in that Zone your phone rang for that once in a lifetime deal on your dream gun for only $376 and, well ... you were in the Zone.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

In

HMB, is correct. It's when everything you do is perfect, with no effort. It just happens and you kind of watch the result.

5. Juno

Juno TS Member

6. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

In

hmb hit it on the nose. When I shoot well, it's like I go into a trance after about the first ten targets and don't wake up until I get ready to shoot the last post on the last trap.

Booger

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

In

When you are in the zone you know you are not going to miss, It's not even a factor.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In

Mike,

Thank you for the compliment. HMB

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

In

Last night I ran 25 from the 26 yard line for league.

That was zone. It was soooooooo impossibly easy. I like it in the zone...it's warm and comfy in there.

10. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

In

(PerraziBigBore has it right) Sorry to differ, but some of your ideas of letting your subconscious mind take over sound more like being numb or the times when I shot and didn't care what my score was. The few times I've been there(in the zone) I'm so focused that everything goes into slow motion and the only thing I notice is every detail of the target and the process of shooting. My conscious mind is totally focused on what I'm doing. The first time I shot at the Grand my back was so bad I could barely walk and had surgery the next week, but I didn't notice any pain until the handicap (GAH) was over. Now if I could shoot with that intensity every time... AJ

11. shot410ga

In

One has to memorize the zone, when it occurs. I've been trying since I started shooting. But, not with much sucess.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In

Entry into the zone depends alot unpon the environment you are subjected to when competing. Some sports where you are isolated from the other competitors makes entry into the zone and staying in the zone until the competition is completed easier. An example would be figure skating, you can enter the zone and complete your routine without outside interfearence. On the other hand trap shooting is difficult because of the constant interruptions, such as changing stations and having to call for the bird. You can get in but it is hard to stay in.

One way to help you enter the zone is the use of visualization. While waiting for your turn to shoot visualize a straight away target and the move you need to break it, do a left angle and a right angle bird. Picture the break in your mind. Believe it or not your mind can not tell the difference between this and the actual shoting of the bird. Hope this helps. HMB

13. biff

biff Active Member

In

It is much easier for me to get into "The Zone" if I don't have a shotgun in my hands!

No seriously, there are many ways to look at shooting!

One way is to look at it as similar to a dread. You dread the score,dread missing, it seems like work, it tires you out, you just know you are going to get targets which you always miss, and then sure enough you seem to always get those targets which are impossible to hit! You just end up with a miserable score and you knew you shouldn't have shot!

Another way which may not be a getting in the "Zone" experience, but rather you are looking forward to just getting the opportunity to shoot these clay targets you have paid to have thrown so you can shoot this gun you really like. You walk to the line and marvel at this being a day where you have nothing else to do but put the shot of each shell right on those moving orange targets and this is going to be the most fun you have had since you last got to do it. You know you are there to enjoy doing this thing you like to do so much! And you do! Biff

14. RonC

RonC TS Member

In

I am not sure getting in the "zone" dosen't begin hours before you shoot. I used to coach a college hockey team. Had a guy who volunteered to be stick boy. He mentioned to me one day that he could tell if we were going to win by the mood in the dressing room. I started to pay attention and he was right. As a coach the challenge was to keep the group there for an hour; not easy. I have noticed that when I shoot a good score, my mood is set before the event, something like self hipnosis to get there. Possible some times. Self coaching?

Ron

15. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

In

The "Zone" doesn't really exist. It's called concentration. Training yourself helps. Train your self to keep your head down through the follow thru, stare a hole in target, and give a rat's a$$ about how you shoot, and you will naturally get there cause you care. I've never heard a AAA27AA say "boy I was sure in the zone". Not even Tron.

16. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

In

The zone was invented by people who know how to shoot as a way to charge a lot of money to explain to people who don't. Trap shooting is a disipline - not a zone.

17. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

In

The reason you don't remember anything else but 100 straight, is because that, and that only, is what you were concentrating on. The "Pros" can turn the concentration on or off before they shoot. Example...sporting clays. An event can last 2 hours easliy. The great shooters are not in a "Zone". They turn it on and off as they proceed through stations. Perhaps a state of extreme concentration, and no more. Some pros tell jokes in between stations. Kind of hard to tell a joke while in the Zone.

18. shot410ga

In

Dove Commander: It appears you have never been in the "ZONE." It's there, I've experianced the ZONE many times. Sometimes I can even promote the feeling. And when it happens, shooting is effortless, everything is perfection, time does not tick bye, and distractions don't excist. I'm sorry for you that you've never been in the "ZONE," Your just going to have to believe, and work at it................maybe forever, you non-believer, you!!!!

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

In

When your in the Zone, the next thing you notice is your shells are gone and you can't watch the pretty targets inkball anymore.

20. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

In

So..your telling me that when your in the "Zone", you don't check your scores before moving to the next trap, you don't get another box of shells out, you don't dodge other shooters getting your shooting bag while moving to the next trap, you don't move the speaker to your current yardage? Quite a little bit to do while in the "Zone". In my last 100, I remember telling myself to keep my head down, feel the wind on the back of my neck and watch for dropping targets, feel the wind on my left ear and prepare for hard lefts to rise, remind myself to keep my eye on the bird, and keep my eyes focused at the horizon. This not a Zone...it's a concentration effort. Maybe you should state your average on 16's and your yardage before you comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.