1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

In the ear hearing protection

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gbrooks, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbrooks

gbrooks TS Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best in the ear hearing protection that offers amplification. I am concerned about hearing loss and want to make sure that I am using the best product possible to keep this from happening.
    Thanks

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I have used models from EAR Inc for years. They are molded for your ears (you get ear casts done and send them so the hearing protectors can be made for you). They work much like hearing aids, but have have sensors of course to cut loud sounds out. You can set volume so you can hear normal conversation, but the loud sharp bang is blocked. Have worked well for me and I have hearing loss from many years in the military when I could not/did not use hearing protection. I would recommend them. But such protection is not cheap of course.

Jim R

3. EE

EE Banned User Banned

*IF* you are truly concerned about protecting your hearing (many say they are, but aren't really serious) then use foam earplugs (31NRR) made by Howard Leight *AND* ear muffs on top of that. ANYTHING else is a compromise and/or a BS excuse. Period.

EE

4. TC

TC TS Member

If you are serious about protecting your hearing use foam plugs and muffs. If you are not serious it won't matter you will be needing hearing aids soon. Wish I would have known then, what I know now! Tony

5. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

What?!!!

6. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I already wear hearing aids so i just remove the batteries from them when i shoot, works for me.
    Woody

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

70yonewbie

"I already wear hearing aids so i just remove the batteries from them when i shoot"

It is after all your hearing and you are entitled to squander it any way you see fit. The material that your hearing aids are made from unless it is a behind the ear with a molded ear insert offer no protection against further damage to the inner ear.

You didn't bother to let us know what type of hearing instrument you have.

Bob Lawless

8. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

I use the cheapo blue baffled looking inserts. (Not the ones with actual baffles, they're crap). They are so effective that I can't make out what the scorer is saying, and often confuse when they say "scores" with "four", when I know I got 5 on that station. The other shooters seem to be able to hear the called out scores just fine, and converse with each other, but I can't hear them unless I pull at least one out a bit. The rating on these cheap ones are around 36dbb. That is at the upper limit of what is available. I took the connecting string off of them as it kept getting snagged and would yank one out under recoil. THAT is annoying, believe me.
    I recall they are made by Silencio.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.