1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

In the Beginning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ArkLaK80, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArkLaK80

ArkLaK80 Member

A look back at what was the beginning. Hotels, motels, trees and vendor's? They weren't there yet. As I've been told, my family members spent 2 or 3 days to get to the Grand and they stayed in tents on the grounds. Several families would stay together, they had no other choice.

I will forever miss the old, but I'm so thankful for what we've got now.

Let's give Sparta and the ATA a chance.

Ray

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Great Picture, Ray.

Thanks!

Hauxfan!

3. Robb

Robb Member

Thanks. That's cool.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Thank you Ray. The photo looks like it was made around 1930.

Pat Ireland

5. James.c

James.c Member

great post. thanks you ray!!

James.C

6. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Excellent post.

7. ArkLaK80

ArkLaK80 Member

Pat

Your probably very close. My guess is the late 30's to maybe the early 40's. This pic is from an original 8x10 glossy that I own that was used to make an ATA post card.

I was scanning my last batch of old Grand photos when I came across this one and I began to think about all of the discussions on this web site about the pros and cons of our current location. My thought was that what most everyone had come to love and cherish about Vandalia, myself included, was actually a long time in the making.

Given time and a better economy, I think Sparta will only get better.

Ray

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

At that point in time was the airport there even in a small fashion? If no airport then, at what point did the grounds start getting crowded in? It reminds me of Brittany Shooting Park in Bunker Hill, IL. No slandering just questioning for my own education. I love old shooting pictures.---Matt

9. ArkLaK80

ArkLaK80 Member

Matt

I don't know when the airport came in, but from what I was told by those that were there in the early years, it was mostly corn and other crop fields surrounding the home grounds.

Ray

10. ArkLaK80

ArkLaK80 Member

Matt

Did a quick read on Wiki and found this:

1928 - Land was being bought and the buildings and strips planned/started.

1936 - Officially opened.

1940's - Due to the war, the Dept. of Defense help expand it by buying area properties for their use.

1950's - Airport bought the land owned by the Federal Government.

Looks as if they came 4 years after we did. The 1950's was probably the beginning of the end for us.

Ray

11. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Answer to when Dayton Airport was built. At the time it was built, Dayton was already a center of aircraft development along with other industries and had a well developed transportation system dating back to the 1800's.

From Wikipedia:

In August 1928, a property in Vandalia, Ohio was under transformation to establish a working private airport called the “Dayton Airport.” Once all improvements were complete, the Airport consisted of two 80’ by 120’ hangars, a brick office/machine shop building, a water tower, small brick power plant, Refiners Oil and Gasoline Station (a yellow Ivan Driggs Monoplane known as “The Bumble Bee” was attached to the roof), and three Macadam surfaced runways approximately 75’ wide and 500’ long that converged to point west.[8]

On December 17, 1936, thirty-three years to the day after the Wright brothers’ first flight, a dedication ceremony was held to officially open the airfield as the “Dayton Municipal Airport.” The Dayton Municipal Airport featured three 3,600’ concrete runways and connecting taxiways. Soon after its opening, Trans Continental and Western Airways, later to be called TWA, began service with three daily flights.

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Sparta will progress when a diff. date is installed to cope with the heat. I think that will help attendance. Its an exceptional facility. I have enjoyed it! Clyde Doll

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ray---Thank you for the history lesson. I was just interested because it looked so baron in the pics. Its amazing comparing it to the pics of the surrounding area of the last few years of the Grands stay in Vandalia. Its hard to believe its the same place. I would love to see Sparta get more Hotels and Restaraunts for the people but not at the extent of crowding the facility. I know that would never happen in our lifetime and alot here say it would never happen period. Thank you again for posting the pic and the information you gathered for me. ---Matt

14. ArkLaK80

ArkLaK80 Member

Matt

You are most welcome. It's always a pleasure to share the old stories and history with those that enjoy it.

Ray

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Ray,

Thank you! I wish I would have had a copy of your picture when I posted the following back in early Aug on the "Grand at Sparta Doomed" thread:

"The first reported location was Long Island in the 1890s. Some ten years later, in Queens. It then went to IL, OH, & MO during the ensuing 20 some-odd years before settling in Vandalia in 1924.

I'll bet the location in Vandalia was pretty austere back in 1924. No trees, no hotels and certainly no airport. If you read Dick Baldwin's book "Road to Yesterday" you'll get a feel for how it was back in the early days. Folks hitchhiked, rode trains, walked, and slept in canvas tents. They endured because they loved the sport more than the amenities."

I love pictures of the old days. Thanks again.

Guy Babin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.