1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

In spite of conventional wisdom

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Many times I've heard that you should always un-mount you'r gun and start over if you get a broken target so don't fire.

Have you ever thought about ->WHY<- do that? You've already got the gun correctly mounted so why bother going all the way back to square one? I don't usually bother to do this, usually just keep the gun mounted while I let my mind relax and the muzzle wander for a moment, then re-focus my mind put the muzzle back on the hold point and call for another bird. Typical result of this blasphamy that flies in the face of conventional wisdom is usually a smoked target.

John C. Saubak

2. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Because trapshooting is 90%+ mental. Once you get in a ruitine you don't want to change it. Just like free-throws.
    -Trappy

3. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Yes...actually I have thought about it....It works best for me to start over with my routine....sounds like you have your own valid reasons as well.

4. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I agree with John...I can hold a pose and retain my concentration and soft focus for the 10 seconds it takes the trap to cycle another target.

Mike

5. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

The same reason a golfer(not duffer) doesn't stop half way thru their back swing and let the club just kind of hang there and then continue with the backswing.

Trappy, I'm thinking maybe more like 98%

Hell, you could teach a monkey the physical part of breaking a 100.

OK cheetah, you just broke one, now do that 99 more times. Easy huh?

Thats the mental part.

AJ100

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Besides mental, muscle fatigue....

7. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Trapshooting is 90% mental, but don't forget, as Yogi says, "The other half is physical." Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

8. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Tom who?!

Mental repetition, break it and you won't the target. Chuck

9. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Whatever floats your boat Old Cowboy. Trappy, I believe it's r-o-u-t-i-n-e. Try attending class more often.

Buz

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

whatever your opinion, it is only necessary to watch shooters shoot after the bird comes out broken or doesn't come out etc. SOOO often the next bird is missed.....form your own opinion, I start over....

11. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

alferman...I'm a long haired guitar playing 15 year old...and you want me to skip smoking pot to go to school? NO WAY! jkjkjk :p

Alright AJ...we will just make it 99% OK?
    -Trappy

12. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

trappy, OK

Now you know to use the other 9% don't you? See, you learned another lesson on TS.com and it didn't even cost you anything.

AJ100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.