1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

In Preparation for the Heat in SPARTA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blade819, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

This is probbaly a good time to start such a thread. How do you prepare for the Heat when shooting. I always start to hydrating myself a day or 2 before. I mean drink A LOT of water!(water not Gator Aide) I wear a sweat band so the sweat won't get in my eyes. I take a lot of water with me in the cart and in between 25's I try to drink as much as the bladder will allow. Shade is always nice. When I return to the motorhome I lie down (if possible) with the A/C on full to get my body temp. down while still drinking water. My latest trick is that I bought a FROG TOGGS cooling CHILLY PAD towel. Greatest thing since sliced bread! Put it around your neck and stay cool then when done take the chammie party and wipe your face. About 16 bucks.

blade819

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

blade--I just started using one of those pads this year. That is the cats meow. I couldn't believe how much it cools you off and i just use it between rounds to wipe my forehead and neck. I keep mine in the cooler in a ziplock bag with some cool water when not shooting. I bring the ziplock bag to the bench with me. I saw somebody at our Zone shoot with a little beanie type hat made from the same stuff. He wore it under his ball cap.

Good advice by the way.

People also need to learn to reconize when they are getting too hot. They say if you quit sweating that is a danger sign from your body to get hydrated immediately.

3. blade819

grntitan...... thanks. people also ought to realize that you don't hydrate with sugar water.

blade819

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

+1 on the hydration and starting at least 2 days early. I usually drink about 64 oz of water per day and will double that for a hot weather shoot. During the shoot I will also start my morning by consuming at least 8 oz of low sodium vegetable juice and have another after supper. Helps with the sodium and potassium that you will lose AND helps the eyes without some of the unwanted things found in sport drinks.

Just so you won't feel all alone our heat index here at Fredericksburg VA was 108 at 10AM this morning.

--- Chip King ---

5. grntitan

I have to ask, why no Gatorade? I must admit i drink alot of it and Powerade. I do try and consume a large amount of water as well but i was under the impression that those sports drinks were second to plain water. I also like the advice on starting to hydrate days before you know you will be out in the weather. I'm gonna have to add that to my routine.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you're starting to prepare for the heat with only 3 weeks to go, you're sadly mistaken thinking anything you do is going to have a significant effect on your conditioning. Your heart and lungs need to be strong to cope with heat and 3 weeks just ain't enough time.

Your best bet will be to<ul><li>stay out of the sun as much as possible during the shoot<LI>avoid running in and out of the A/C. This can be hard on the heart as the blood vessels dilate and constrict with changes in skin temperature<LI>begin hydrating for the next day's shooting the evening before; stretch out your fluid consumption over hours<LI>determine how much water you need to take in each day as hydration controls blood volume which affects the ability to performs and endure:<blockquote>--weigh yourself before you go out for the day<br>--drink 2–3 cups of fluid about 2 hours before the event<br>
    --drink 1 cup of fluid 15 minutes before the event<br>
    --drink 1/2 to 1 cup of fluid every 15 minutes during the event<br>
    --weigh yourself after the day's shooting, and consume 2–3 cups of fluid for every pound lost</blockquote><LI>drink non-carbonated, non-alcoholic, non caffeinated, low sodium fluids. If you want to use Gatorade, cut it 50% with water; you don't need all that salt!<LI>avoid alcohol during the duration of the shoot; it's a diuretic. Two beers in an evening can undue a whole days efforts at hydration<LI>Low sodium V-8 is good for replacing electrolytes during the day; a 5 oz can at mid-day is enough. Again, cut it with water.<LI>Learn the symptoms of heat stress and heed them!!</ul>

MK

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are some Hydration additives you can put in water to make it easier to drink greater amounts of it ... The average person can actually drink more beer than they can water (Try it) because water actually fills you up and or bloats you ... The Hydration drink mixes are reasonable priced and contain no sugar, sodium, fat, or sugar and is rated at 5 calories per serving ... They come in whats called stick packets that are 10 to a box, each packet converts a 16.9 oz. or 20 oz. bottle of water to a Hydration drink ... They come in light or regular in a variety of flavors and they work ... Living in Arizona we never leave home without a bottle of water, now I put this stuff in them and drink probably twice as much flavored water as I used to and never feel bloated ... Try it, you will like it and its available at WalMart where if they don't have it, you probably won't need it ... Thanks for your support ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Matt

Gatorade and Powerade are fine if you cut them with water because of the 100mg of sodium (salt) per serving which actually makes you want to drink more but in doing so adds even more sodium ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Unknown1

I buy drink stick mixes made by 4-C. They come in a variety of flavors and most are sweetened with Splenda. I mix them half strength to flavor my water without introducing the possibility of indigestion: mix one small (16 oz) Gatorade bottle full, pour half of it into another empty bottle and refill both bottles with water.

I prefer the fruit flavors and avoid the lemonades. Each stick contains about 10 mg sodium and 15 mg of potassium so a half strength drink is low in sodium but has a little potassium replacement for muscle performance.

MK

10. chipking

chipking TS Member

Matt Both Gatorade and Powerade have 14 grams of sugar per serving and a bottle is 2 1/2 servings and provides less potassium than the V8 which has 6 grams of sugar per serving. Plus neither provide any vitamin A like the V8. That is why I usually try and avoid them.

--- Chip King ---

11. grntitan

Hmmm. my wife uses those stick packets. She uses the Wal-Mart brand. I'll have to raid the cabinet and try some of those. The reason i drink the Gatorade is the very reason Bill gave. Its hard for me to guzzle large amounts of water. Seems the flavor packets would probably help that. I love V8 juice so i'll buy me some of that low sodium and try it along with my water and packets.

Unknown1 is also right about the AC. I usually roll the windows down when going to the shoots when its hot as opposed to the AC. It makes it easier once you are there as you are already somewhat acclamated to the weather. Too many people sit in the AC until its time to shoot and it shocks their system going out into the heat. Of course there is nothing wrong with cooling off at the end of the day. Just try and start acclimating yourself early the next morning to avoid the shock.

12. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

The V-8 trick is what the military does in extreme heat environments. Mix 50/50 with water.

Mark

p.s. The old fashion vegetable V-8 (red), not the fruit versions they make.

13. blade819

Thanks for some really good advice! I'll not drink beer (try it) but will try the stick packets. I usually eat a bananna during the day.

blade819

14. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

CHILLY PAD

15. hunter44

CHILLY PAD

16. hunter44

Chilly Pads are a life saver! I use two, one in my ice chest soaked in ice water & the other around my neck......switch everytime I get the chance. By the way they work well at other hot locations also. You don't have to save them for just the grand at Sparta.

17. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 TS Member

Mark 425,,I love V8 haven't had it in years.Off to the store Thanks bro. Semperfi. Jr

18. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I use Muhammad Ali's training drink that I learned about years ago when I had Hi Hopes! Take 4 oranges, 8 lemons, a grapefruit and a lime. Peal and crush them up, mix with 8oz pure natural maple syrup and a gallon of spring water. Try it you'll like it! Now that I think of it I'm going to the store and brew some up right now!!

Harry

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bananas are good first thing in the morning and another for a snack, they contain all kinds of goodies the body needs to keep operateing under extreme conditions besides the hydration ... We used to eat bananas routinely at the Fire Dept to keep our energy level up in between fires, plus a lot of liquid ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. Unknown1

Since this thread turned to the subject of hydration I guess it's necessary to point out that hydration is NOT a case where "If some is good, more is better and too much is just right."

Hydration is NOT a substitute for proper physical conditioning and good health; it simply keeps what you have going for at least a while longer. You can over-do a good thing.

Over-hydration occurs when the body can't get rid of fluids as fast as they're being put in. Exessive clear urination is a sign that the body is flushing out its electrolyte supply and that replacements better be on hand to make up the loss. That's what that one little can of low sodium V-8 is for; half the can 50-50 with water around noon and the other half a couple hours later will do the job. My half-strength 4C drink sticks in every bottle of water I drink keeps a continuous low level of electrolytes going is as I get rid of them.

Although it can be fatal, water intoxication or water poisoning is rare in people who don't have heart liver or kidney disorders. The web site linked above contains a few simple facts about over-hydration.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.