1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

In praise of Downrange's newest wad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I'm starting on my 3rd case of Duwnrange's latest offering, the DRHRF-8 and am very pleased with these wads. The wad is best described as a marriage of the Rem Fig-8 bottom with a windjammer 8 petal top. It's a 1 1/8oz yellow wad designed primarily for the Rem STS style hull. They come in 10 bags of 500 per case for ~$85. I toss 'em in the dryer for 10min on low to make sure the petals are straight/flared and find them to load in my P/W 800+ without issue. With my loading of 18.8gr of International Clays using Winchester primers in an STS hull the patterns are uniform and consistent. Recovered wads do not show signs of scorching/melting and there is no sign of melted plastic residue in the barrel. All in all, I believe these wads are as good as you'll find in every respect, and worth a try.

all the best....mike

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the 1 oz TGT version of that hybrid.

Keller

3. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Mike,

Thanks for the dryer tip. I am on my first case of eight petal wads and I have to tell you, it really slowed down my output with a bent petal.

Bob M.

4. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Where are you getting these wads at that price?

And... do you mean the DRHF8? I don't see the a DRHRF8 on Windjammers home page.
    Mark T.

5. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

mtimeny, go to Downrange web site. Jake

6. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Keller,
    Go to Gameliels web site they already have the TGT version out, I just bought a case a month ago. Scott

7. pca7ggr

pca7ggr Member

Which windjammer is the equivalent of the TGT for 1oz loads? Thanks

8. pca7ggr

pca7ggr Member

Found it - thanks

9. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Yes, Vern, been using them for a year, now; but was shooting up the old American select loads.

best....mike

10. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I have loaded both there 4 & 8 petal version of the tgt wads. Both are excellent wads. Can't tell a ounce of difference in the patterning of the 2. I prefer the 4 petal don't have near the issue with bent petals. Don't have to put in the dryer.

11. Unknown1

The 8-petal DR wad is a whole different animal than what you're apparently used to. There isn't a bent petal in a bag. You can give your dryer time back to whomever.

Keller

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Bandit, you are a fish hooked on a new lure. Wads are like fishing lures, all colors , shapes and sizes.

13. Unknown1

Hey, like they say...have faith in your equipment and the details take care of themselves.

Keller

14. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I also like them and I don't have any problem with bent petals. They are so slick that I do drop them once in a while. I have noticed that this wad only goes about 25-30 yards and helicopters to the ground. Very little distortion in the spent wads. Patterns are as dense as the 4 petal version. Bill Hom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

downrange wads drhrf8