1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

in or out storage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

Feb 14, 2011
    I carry my shotgun assembled in a sleeve rather than the hard case because putting it in the safe is easier. Do any of you put in in the safe still in it's hard case? Would this promote rust?

2. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Utah, USA
    I know what you're talking about. I just got a safe and I get tired of moving the guns to and from the hard cases. I have left one in the case at times, but usually I take them out of the cases and wipe them down before storing them. If most reply they leave them in the cases, I'll change!
  3. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Sep 18, 2011
    I don't know about the hard cases, but I have seen them rust in a soft zippered case overnight.
  4. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Jun 23, 2007
    I confess I'm not much on really cleaning our guns.

I always wipe them down with a Clenzoil dampened rag and run a bore snake through the barrels maybe once a week (I shoot almost every day in the summer, every day in the late fall to early spring). I store them in the case and have never had any rust issues.

I really clean them when they get wet or when my wife and I have shot them quite a lot. Sadly, today is the day and I am putting it off as long as possible as when I clean them, I really clean them.

In my experience, here in Florida with the humidity and sudden rain, the guys who store guns in the soft cases have some rust issues. My friend stored his O/U Browning Trap in a soft case, and the case was very slightly damp from a light shower. I mean very slightly damp. Rust city and he had to have it refinished.

Can't speak to storing them in the case "up north," but in Florida I have no problems with keeping them in the case.

Actually, I just had a thought. (I know, one of my first.) But, perhaps the reason I don't see rust problems is the frequency we use the guns and the wiping them after every session.

5. revbook

revbook Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Always take the gun out of the case put it in a gun sock and store it in the safe, mainly because the hard case doesn't fit in the safe.

Don in PA
  6. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Jul 8, 2008
    north Florida
    In the Case in the Safe, no problems as of yet.

7. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    When mine are stored, they are put in with the barrel down, stock up.

I ended up with one in storage for a spell, and the oil from the barrel drained down into the stock where it meets the wood.

I never saturated the bore or outside of the gun but over time apparently the oil slid down.

Just a word if guns are to be stored a long time.
  8. GJB02

GJB02 Member

Mar 21, 2012
    I did store a Browning Lightning in a hard case in the safe but had a problem with some "rusting"? on the silver nitrate finish on the receiver. It was after shooting in very cold conditions and I wiped the gun down and put it back in the hard case. I think that it might have been some condensation.Luckily it kind of blends in with the engraving so it's not too noticable. Since then, I store my guns in the safe,out of the case. Also,I did have the same oil problem as shotgunpeople with an early 870TB that I have so they are now stored barrel down as well.

Hope this helps.
  9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    I live in a dry climate so rust really isn't an issue. So I just leave my trap guns in their Americases and put that in the safe. I also shoot a couple of times per week so the guns see lots of dry air.

On the blued finished guns like most of my handguns, I will wipe them down before putting them away. I guess I should be more dilligent about acually cleaning them but I'm not having rust issues so I tend to be a bit lax on the detail cleaning.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.