1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

In Olympic Trap you can shoot 2.6mm shot thats #6

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY AND FOR CURIOUSITY SAKE

I AM NOT SLAMMING ANY SPORT

I hate guys that read into others for their own intrepretation.

I just learned by looking at the Olympic Rules max shot size is 2.6mm which is American #6s, there is a reason for this, at the speed of the targets it takes a larger Diameter pellet to retain Energy to break the target.

Also I hate this rule you are NOT ALLOWED TO SHOOT A RELEASE TRIGGER IN OLYMPIC TRAP.

I wanted to try out for the 2016 Olympic Games.

You should read the rules, you must walk heel first and toes must flex, shoes have to pass standards, clothes must be a certain thickness, shooting vests must meet a standard, Blinders must not exceed forehead measurement, SPECIAL TARGETS THAT "PUFF" ARE MANDATORY IN SHOOTOFFS.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Having difficulty getting blinders are you?????

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You have issues with ATA trap and now issues with Olympic shooting. Just saying...

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Would make a good javelin catcher!

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Gary:

The shot rule is actually 2mm-2.5 mm ±.1

Release Triggers are dangerous and should be banned or so said both Perazzi and Beretta to The ISSF ShotGun Committee.

If you want to make the 2016 team you might be too late. You need to get moving. So to assist you in your quest I will pay for your first day of training on the Bunker at Gator Skeet and Trap in Gainesville, Fl next Saturday.

If you want to make the team its put up or shut up time.

Tom

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Do they shoot lead or steel shot?

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

LEAD... Steel not allowed. It may be plated however.

Tom

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Actually, 2.6mm is SLIGHTLY larger than lead #7 shot (2.54mm or .100"). Lead #6 shot is 2.77mm (.109") and would be ILLEGAL.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Please! Don't let facts influence a good, fictional, story!

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The Olympic Rule states Max shot diameter is 2.6mm I re-read it twice Talk about a lot of rules they have them down to shoes and clothing thickness and style of clothes allowed, absolutely no sneekers or tennis shoes.

GB
    DLS

11. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Factory ammo contains a variety of shot sizes with most conforming to the stated or advertised size. In international competition the ISSF will randomly sample an unfired shell from all competitors and mic the shot. If your shot is outside the limits specified in the rules a second sample will be taken. If that sample also fails you will be DQ'd. I'm not aware of anybody shooting factory ammo that is a stated size larger than 7.5 which is more than adequate for breaking targets. Michael Diamond didn't have any problem breaking 125/125 in London in the qualifying round.

Do you understand why release triggers are not permitted in international shooting? If ATA if you experience a FTF what do you do? You open the gun and see what happened and explain the situation to the squad and/or scorer. In international competition you NEVER open the gun if you have a FTF. You raise your hand to attract the referee and safely pass the gun to the referee who will attempt to fire the gun and if the gun does not fire he will open the gun to determine the nature of the FTF. Explain to me how you "safely" pass a gun with a release trigger to a referee. Can't be done right. There's your reason for the rule.

If you want to try out for 2016 go right ahead. I recommend you take Tom up on his offer. Fly to Florida, shoot a day of bunker and see how you do. Or go shoot at a bunker near you if you have one. If you can shoot 110/125 you will be competitive on the national level but not on the international level. Got to crank it up to 120/125 if you want to play in Rio.

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Not disputing 2.6mm. I'm disputing 2.6mm=#6 shot, because it DOESN'T!

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

ffwildcat:

I like your explanation of the release issue better than what I usually see on here, it sounds good at first; but what ftf situation would occur where the trigger was still set, except for a flinch, which I assumed would not cut it in bunker? I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

14. running bear

running bear Member

Lonsh"t woke up again! Now bashing another sport that he has nothing to do with.

Buck

15. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm - if you have a FTF w/ a release that would mean the trigger has been released. How would that not be safe to pass to a ref???

Releases were banned because they were considered to be an unfair advantage and not everyone could come to terms w/ a release. I have trouble w/ a pull on the first shot so everyone has an unfair advantage over me. But do they care about that. OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

BTW, 2.6mm = 0.102362204724094". #6 shot is 0.11, substantially larger. The 2.6mm size will accommodate #7 shot which has been an international competition standard for about a jillion years. Best as I know anyway.

16. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

You really can't wear sneakers or tennis shoes?

17. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

99% of the competitors wear sneaker/tennis/athletic shoes. He's going to have to quote that one.....

Jeff Holguin

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

Longshot....

Hear you are having a new gun built. Bring it on down and let us show you how to shoot Bunker.

The targets are free for you.

Tom

19. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I think LS got lost in the rulebook and didn't realize he was reading about rifle shooting for some of that.

20. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.