1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

In a slump

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have been shooting trap for around 6 or 8 months and have tried to learn to practice with the proper fundamentals. I continued to improve to a point that I was averaging around 23 at the 16 yrd line and 21 at the 22yrd line. All of a sudden, I can not hit by fanny with both hands. I'll end up missing 4 or 5 in a row! I try to go back to basics, but just not getting it back.

I'm open to ideas from any of you more experienced shooters.
    Thanks,
    John

2. ismah

ismah Member

You're trying too hard. Relax your brain before shooting, don't watch the shooters on your squad, it will help you to shoot one target at a time. Individualize each shot. Make sure your mount is solid and smoke them.

3. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

Just a thought.
    This is what I tell the kids.
    You know how to shoot You've proven it. So doit. If you need anextra boost. Spin counter-clockwise and spit. (Advice from a friend) Always works. Helps with bowling too.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

2 suggestions: 1) Pattern your gun and make sure it is shooting straight with enough choke for 35 yards 2) Have your vision checked and make sure you are not having an eye dominance issue which can happen as we get older.

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

I started shooting 25's when I learned to stop counting my score as I was shooting. Most of the 25's I shoot, it's a surprise to me. I simply shoot each bird without worrying about what came before, or what is coming up. Concentrate on the bird, let the gun shoot itself. It will...

cap

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Take up something less frustrating, like golf or bowling. You'll eventually have the same problem, but at least it will make you realize that all sports of repetition have their periodic slumps.

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Trying too hard is a big problem for many shooters. Fear of missing creates misses. After a certain level of proficiency is obtained it's now time for a gunfitting and a few lessons.

Keep your head on the stock and look at the targets you'll be back to better scores in no time.

Joe

8. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Thanks to everyone who replied. There is a fair amount of wisdom in each reply notwithstanding a little tongue in cheek. I'll try some of the ideas and report back. They better work, or ELSE!!!

JMAC

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

John, I too agree with the tring to hard. Take a short break from trap and try some Sporting Clays or some Skeet or both for a short time. See what happens and then, you'll know when to go back to trap. You may also be suffering from a bit of a burn out if your shooting alot trap as well. One way or another a short break can't hurt. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Have you considered a Slumpbuster? Professional baseball players absolutely swear by them.

-Gary

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If everything looks good when you pull the trigger and the bird does not break , you are cross firing. Try shooting with one eye for a while and see if things improve. HMB

12. twotimer

twotimer Member

Go play a couple rounds of golf and get your head out of the game for a bit. Didn't help me much, but after playing golf for 45 years then starting trap, it reminded me why I switched games! Mike

13. Browning Girl

Browning Girl TS Member

I also had the same problem. I am still working on it a bit. I have my moments. But my problem was that I had lost a lot of weight and didn't adjust my gun and it wasn't fitting the same any more. I had it re-fitted and it helped a lot. I also noticed that I can't watch the other shooters. And when I miss more then one in a row, I back up from the line , shut my eyes and walk back up and start again. Always seems to help clear your mind from trying to hard.

The other thing I am doing is I mount the gun and get my sights set then I shut both my eyes and then call pull. Open my dom eye and hit the bird. It is hard but it teaches you to look for that bird only. Works for me.

14. dhip

dhip Active Member

Trying to hard ,I.E., Probably trying not to miss harder than just going to the bird.

Doug H.

15. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Good point, Doug

16. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

In the grand scheme of things you can consider yourself a rookie trying to figure things out for the first two years. I do not know if you are trying to hard but what you are doing is "expecting" to much from yourself. Take your time and have fun while you are learning.

CM

17. Beni

Beni Member

I lot of great advice here I agree. What yardage is your problem at 16 or 22. I think as new shooters we sometimes start spot shooting from the 16 and forget to keep our eye right on the leading edge of the target which will keep your gun moving. have fun beni

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Shooting in your winter coat? If so, put your gun up until Spring or head South.

19. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I wanted to give you all a follow-up. I was practicing my basic setup while dry firing. I am a right handed shooter and noticed that swing to the right, the left side of the rib comes into view. I am not moving my cheek on the stock. I wonder if this indicates possible cross firing? I'll shoot today and cover my left eye just to check for it.

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If that is the case you may as well be moving the gun with your arms. Remember, once you mount the gun that configuration should not change. All movement to the target should be at the waist. That is why it is important also to rotate your stance as you move from station to station. To allow full non-strenuous movement during the swing to the target.

I was told that you have to shoot your way out of a slump. Just keep shooting practice. Do not think about the last shot. Don't even keep score, either on paper, or in your head. Keeping score requires thought. You can't be thinking while concentrating on the bird at the same time. It will come back to you. Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.