1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IMR SR-7625 or PB for handicap loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bolt-action, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bolt-action

bolt-action TS Member

Hello! I am considering trying a new powder for 12 gauge handicap loads. (I currently use Green Dot, but am always searching for something better.) I am considering trying either IMR PB or IMR SR-7625. As I researched these powders, it seems that they are very close on performance. Can anyone tell me which one they like the best, and why? Is there another powder that would work better? I noticed that they are both single based powders - How do they perform in cold weather? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Why don't you just use IMR, 700X for everything and keep it simple???

17 grs and 1 oz. for singles and both shots of doubles.

19.5 grs. and 1-1/8 oz. for handicap.

Curt

3. bolt-action

bolt-action TS Member

Actually, IMR 700X is my all time favorite powder for 3 dram loads. I currently use it for shooting singles. Maybe I need to look at some different loads with it. Thanks.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Stay with Greendot, just fine tune the weight of the charge if you want to experiment. HMB

5. Herman63

Herman63 Member

Use to shoot 7625 and it makes a fine load and soft also.

BUT it is costly, so I will stick with Greendot.

Never shot PB.

Herman63

6. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Herman63 has it right.

But I have never been a Green Dot fan. Try Unique, thats an excellent powder for long yardage shooting. I used to shoot a lot of pot shoots (long distance money shoots) and by far the most popular powder for the first shot from 27 to 35 yards behind the trap house was Unique. It was used by approx. 75% of the players.

I have always liked 22.5 Unique in most hulls with a 11/8 of shot as a handicap load.

For pot shoots I used 24 to 25 depending on the hull, Federal Gold Metal used more powder (25) than the AA or Remington (24)

Tom Strunk

7. bigben

bigben Active Member

Bolt action, you will find that both powders are great, pb is the more popular because it takes about a grain to a grain and a half to manufacture equal loads. Prior to a few of years back, Federal extra lite shells in plastic and paper came with PB from the factory, so good was the load that Ray Stafford led the nation with his 27 yard handicap average! In fact I still have a couple of flats, they will blister 27 yd. targets with very very low recoil! Go to the IMR site or book, and you will find a great many loads for this fine powder, it meters along with 7625 among the best, if not THE best, it is extremely clean burning and gives excellent reload life to your hulls. When running over our chronos, we are constanly amazed at the tiny deviation in velocity of this PB and 7625 powder. Some will say it is more expensive but when you talk to PB users and shooters you will find much the same answer, "I can't afford to shoot anything less"! incinerate em!

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

7625 is dirty, PB is clean. You can achieve more velocity with 7625. PB will pattern better.

Paper shells and 12CI wads make the best handicap loads.

But that all went the way of the muscle car. Nitro 27 is the cutting edge.

HM

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

PB is the softest shooting load I have ever used. It takes a lot of powder and is costly, but it is the "cats meow" for handicap loads as far as I am concerned.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have had best results with Unique, Solo 1250, and Universal Clays.

Solo 1250 is dirty, but is the softest shooting. Unique is domestically made. Universal Clays is clean, but seems to have the most recoil.

I keep going back to Unique for my Caps load.

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I used to use 22.5 PB in GM plastic hulls with the 12S3 wad, 1 1/8 oz of hard 8's and the old Federal 209 primer. It was a great load but PB became hard to get so I switched to Green Dot.

21 grains of PB in an old style AA hull with the old Federal F209 primer, WW12 wad and 1 1/8 oz of shot was also a great handicap load.

I now load 19.3 oz. of Green Dot, F209A primer, the 12S3 Federal wad and 1 1/8 oz of 8's. It breaks targets anywhere back to 27 yards with authority.

As BigBen observes, the original Federal Gold Medal Extra Lite (in 7 1/2) was awesome. I won a lot of turkey matches with it and once broke 4 out of 5 for a win with it at better than 50 yards. It took a long time for the shot to get to the target but that shell was unreal. Federal changed the loading and the new shells did not seem to shoot as well as the old PB loads. I think that the original Extra Light plastic had the 12S3 wad but the last plastic Extra Lite loads I purchased had the Triple Plus wad that is now used in Top Gun and Estate.

In sum, PB is a good powder but I like Green Dot for cost and availability.

Ed Ward

12. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

IMR 7625 GREAT POWDER HAVE SHOT IT FOR HANDICAPS FOR 40 PLUS YEARS

IF IT FEEL'S GOOD AND YOU SHOOT GOOD SCORES PRICELESS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

7625 powder

imr sr 7625
pb trap loads