1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

IMR PB POWDER VS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MOUNT-1, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOUNT-1

MOUNT-1 TS Member

besides the price being higher than georgia pines, what advantage would pb powder compared to say 700x, clays, rex powders. thanks, galen
  2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The big "advantage" is that it's a slower burning powder and can be used for heavy loads with reasonable pressures where the fast burning powders create excessive pressure peaks. Many like it for full bore, hard hitting handicap loads but it does cost and it takes a healthy helping of powder....breakemall....Bob Dodd
  3. Bocephas

Bocephas TS Member

galen,this is all I use on handicaps.Clean,less recoil.
    Takes about a Snuff Can full per shell.

I use Solo 1000 for 16s.

Bo
  4. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

All I have used for the past 25 years for 1 oz & 1 1/8 oz in a Gold Metal hull. I love it,cost be hanged. This is an expensive hobby,what are a few more cents per round. I like Clays in the AA & STS taper hull with 1 oz & 7/8 oz
  5. shoehorn324

shoehorn324 TS Member

PB is a great one ,very clean and soft shooting.
    D0 you remember the old Extra-Lite Federal ? This
    powder was the same they used about 15-18 years ago in them.
    Check out the IMR loading book they have some of the old loads
    using federal hulls. I used a # 34 bushing in a Mec loader with 12S3
    fed wad for years it was a great load. I'm glad you brought it up I
    think I'll pick some up and see if its as good as it was.
  6. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

PB is great powder and I like it - but, it does not have anything on REX II if you can figure out how to meter REX II consistently - and REX II is cleaner and less expensive. the beav
  7. phirel

phirel TS Member

MIA- PB and Green Dot are the two premier powders for handicap loads. I like Green Dot a little better but PB is also a very good powder.

Pat Ireland
  8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

Pat, PB always metered much better than Green Dot. Unfortunately, I will not spend a small fortune for PB when my supply runs out!!
  9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

FWIW - PB is "porous base." Wow. Some find that important, but I don't know why.

FWIW2 - A Hodgdon lab guy told me International Clays is very close to PB.
  10. phirel

phirel TS Member

oleolliedawg - I am setting up to load a new handicap shell with Green Dot. I had to use a little fingernail polish on my bushing and then sand part of it back off. I was wanting 20 gr of Green Dot. I just threw 20 individual loads with my PW. Fifteen weighed 20.0 grams and the other 5 varied less than 0.1 gr. I then drooped 10 charges into one container and they weighed 200.2 gr. How much better will PB meter?

Pat Ireland
  11. Jim e

Jim e TS Member

You Might check out Solo 1250
  12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

Pat, you beter load up on several kegs from that lot. Your next keg might be a challenge to get within .02-.04 gr. variation. Don't forget to check it again in a day or two. There is often a significant difference!!
  13. TRAPSHOOTING90T

TRAPSHOOTING90T TS Member

PB for caps Nitro 100 for singles both soft and consistant.
    Like Bo says takes a snuff can full but turns a clay wrong side out.
    Bo now that gas is down can we look forward to seeing you in your Ford in Montrose. Breaking a few targets.
    Roger Smith
  14. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

A few years back when PB was not available, I tried most of the "equivalent" powders - International Clays, Solo 1250 and Green Dot. I liked the "feel" of Green Dot best but didn't care for the black stuff with which it coated the moving parts inside my gun's receiver. But it does clean off, so if PB goes AWOL once again, Green Dot is the one I'll use.

Ed
  15. MOUNT-1

MOUNT-1 TS Member

thanks guys for all the input & info on the pb powder topic.
    has anyone tried the newer cleaner redot? is it what they say it is?

thanks, again guys.

galen
  16. MOUNT-1

MOUNT-1 TS Member

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Red Dot and Green Dot are cleaner than they were several years ago. This was accomplished by a new system that added graphite to the powder under water. This uses less graphite and graphite does not burn. This change was made about five years ago.

I do use American Select and Green Dot but a jug of Red Dot and Green Dot would serve me well.

Pat Ireland
  18. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

Yes, I have tried the cleaner version of Green Dot. In fact, when I was using it, that version had just come out. But I still had a black coating on my hands and hulls after shooting an event. As I said, it washes off but I don't get that with other powders, at least not to the same extent.

It's still a great powder in my opinion.

Ed
  19. bill kindred

bill kindred Active Member

I love my pb loads. they are probably slower than my green dot loads, but seem way softer and to work as well.
  20. phirel

phirel TS Member

TinMan- I don't know what to say about the powder solvents degrading the hulls. First, the same solvents are used in all powders. Secondly, the plastic jugs the powders are stored in are plastic that is similar to the plastic used to make hulls. Something quite unique must have happened to your hulls.

Pat Ireland
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.