1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IMR Hodgdon shows no primers for metallic rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgp912kgp, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I am looking at the Reloading Data Center at the IMR/Hodgdon site and they are showing loading data for all of their rifle loads but they do not recommend a primer to use. Why is this?

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

35 GR. NOS BT LF Hodgdon Varget .224" 2.280" 25.2 3424 38,500 PSI 28.0C 3751 49,300 PSI
    35 GR. NOS BT LF IMR IMR 4320 .224" 2.280" 25.5 3313 39,500 PSI 28.0C 3620 49,800 PSI

2. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Copy and paste did not work so well.

3. oz

oz Active Member

ask hodgdon's could be because they don't make primers.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter much with metallic as long as you don't use a Magnum where it's not called for. My reloading books do not list any primer other than stating small pistol, large pistol, small rifle, large rifle and Magnums where needed. Also the obvious is do not mix small rifle and small pistol or large rifle and large pistol primers. Never never never use a Magnum primer unless the recipe specifically calls for one. I use Winchester primers for all my centerfire metallic loads.

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

With reloading center fire rifle the pressure level is high enough that you can see when you are approaching too much pressure. Flattening of primer is one.

So follow GrnTitan's post about the primers and take the lower end data, work up to the best grouping, stopping at the top end.

If only the "Maximum" is listed the rule of thumb is start at 10% less and work up.

Jason

6. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Thank you young gents!!!

I do like that they give the lower pressures and weights then the max. I will start low and work my way up.

Thanks Again

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

kgp912kgp:

Hodgdon does in fact, specify primers for their rifle and hand gun loads. Getting to where it is listed requires multiple steps. You have to drill all the way down into the data.

Here's how it works...

1. Using Hodgdon's on-line reloaders guide, specify "Cartridge Loads".

2. In the second step pick "Rifle" or "Pistol" in the "Load Type" field and the caliber you want in the "Cartridge" field.

3. The screen you get at this point lists every load Hodgdon has for that caliber including every bullet type, bullet weight, and powder they tested.

4. From that screen you can narrow things down by picking a specific powder and specific bullet weight. Click on "Get Data" and you'll get a single load. However, it still doesn't list the recommended primer.

5. To get the primer click the "Print" option. That will take you to a 'printer friendly' screen listing all the details for the specific load you picked including (at long last) the primer Hodgdon tested with that combination of components.

Hope that helps.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.