1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

improving handicap help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shark1, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shark1

shark1 Member

Asking Fellow trap shooters how to improve handicap scores? I shoot in low 90's to high 80's, but I am a 21 yarder. I shoot a 70/30 poi, non release 34' unsingle, and use 8's. Suggestions on training techniques different poi ect? Please note I want to improve my handicap not just go to small shoots to win. And yes I do read James Russel's books over and over, have videos and a coach.
    Opinions?
    Thanks Mike Sharkey, DC

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Take a Phil Kiner, Leo Harrison, or Harlan Campbell clinic...

3. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

it's all mental.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Forget about your POI and the load you are using for now. Think about clearly seeing the bird while you keep your head on the gun. Work on the most important things first.

Pat Ireland

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

How long have you been Shooting?

What is your singles ave.?

Do you have a flinch?

How do you know your gun is 70/30?

Do you shoot one or two eyes?

What does your coach say is your problem?

How much do you practice?

Are you shooting in a league?

6. Flench

Flench TS Member

Practice from your Yardage or one yard further back. When Practicing shoot a minimum of a hundred Targets or more.

Many people that go to practice. Shoot with their friends and most want to shoot from the 16 or the 27 never from their Yardage. When I got serious about Yardage like you are trying to do. It only took me about 6 months to get to the 27.

Doyal Kirby

7. DBax

DBax TS Member

What Pat said was great , to add to it , I practice Handicap only. and at a longer distance then my 23 , 26 27 that kinda thing , then when i shoot for score the target looks much clearer and closer .... practice alot , get your timing down , so its smooth , then let go. ..when you see the bird , just let it happen without guiding the gun . see it and let it free --

Dean

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I typically suggest a higher shooting gun for trap, especially caps. Since many Skeet and Sporting guns shoot near 60/40, your gun is only 3 inches higher. If your gun is adjustable, set it up for nearly 100%, and try again.

You may now need to cover the bird or even shoot over it. This makes one do all types of bad things, like lifting your head so you can see the bird.

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

Mike What are your 16 yard scores and how do they compare with your handicaps. They should be the same or very close ( 2 or 3 birds difference on average) if not you are letting the yardage play with your head. Shoot 21 yards just the same and with the same loads that you use at 16. I did speed up my load when I got back to the 24 yard line from 1180 to 1235 1oz loads but other than that I shoot them just like on the 16. It took me a couple of shoots at my new yardage to settle down and figure that out.

--- Chip King ---

10. don q

don q TS Member

Like everybody else says practice 1 yd back from your yardage, at least get a Phil Kiner video to get new ideas. It worked for me. don q

11. shark1

shark1 Member

Reply to JBROOKS
    I shoot 2 eyes, POI was paterened and verfied by lines on end of rib (adj) by krieghoff. No I do not shoot in leagues, and practice 2x a week if i am lucky. Coach states more practice.
    Thanks Mike Sharkey DC

12. shark1

shark1 Member

Charlie
    I shoot down synapuxtent on weds, its on the way home from work. I work on the Eastern Shore of viginia Accomac. I opened my own clinic. handicap is kicking me in the tail end, and i must improve.
    PS Fellow trapshooters are always welcomed at discounted rate in my clinic

13. shark1

shark1 Member

Chip myn16 yard average is OK 96.2 nothing that is going to wow feloow shooters.

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Mike

Krieghoff setting your gun means nothing about how it fits YOU. 70/30 for them is 100% for me. Been there, done that.

Try the Winston method. Shoot off a bench at 13 yards, being careful to maintain the same relationship of head position, bead stack, etc, and see where the gun is printing for you. Then, adjust the rib so the gun shoots nearly 100% high, and give it a try.

Most folks like their trap gun set this way, or close to it.

15. recurvyarcher

Hey, Mike...I forgot your sign on name and didn't realize that it was you until you said something about shooting at Synapuxent. Is Mike Poe your coach? I would listen to him, he's pretty good.

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Wow! 12 responses and not one comment on "yes I do read James Russel's books over and over."!

(Before you get your blood pressure up, Shark, I used to do the same thing.)

17. recurvyarcher

I wasn't going to say anything...

18. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

shark1,

I'm not a great (or even very good) shooter myself, but I think you need to give us some more information. What are you doing wrong or where are your problems coming from? Is it a particular target or position that you're missing on? For me, whenever I made any (even slight) improvement in handicap was when I noticed I was having a real problem on some specific target, station, etc. and the next time I shot practice, that's what I practiced on. Don't forget about shooting full rounds from all 5 positions with the trap oscilating, but when you have a problem somewhere, you need to address it and try to fix it as soon as possible before it gets too far into your head that you can't break this or that. That's what I do. If these damn problems quit popping up, I'd probably be a decent trapshooter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.