1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Importing & exporting gun parts to and from USA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

    PerazziBigBore TS Member

    Jan 29, 1998
    Yes you can.. I bought one in England.. and after completeing the paperwork.. it was shipped Royal Mail to me.. No problems at all.. Same for a few barrels.. Guns howeever are not as easy..
  2. HSLDS

    HSLDS Well-Known Member

    Nov 2, 2006
    S-E PA
    Said with NOT 100% certainty, but the issue is much more of the country where you buy the parts rather the the USA.

    Typically here the 'firearm' is the receiver - the part with the serial number, and the rest of the parts are not so much of an issue (example of an 'exception' would be a full auto trigger sear or the like).

    Depending on the country you are referencing it is possible that ALL parts are considered to be a 'firearm.' Screws, springs - all of it, or not.

    You are best t check with local rules and regs.

    I travel overseas quite a bit (off to Indonesia this evening) and have never figured it out completely.

    Where exactly are you looking to buy??
  3. melbournemike

    melbournemike TS Member

    Sep 22, 2009
    Yes you can as long as the part is legal here as posted earlier,no full auto parts. No paperwork here and minimal duty if at all.Mike moloney US Customs ret.
  4. g7777777

    g7777777 Banned User Banned

    Jan 29, 1998
    Part has to be legal in both countries and any country that it might travel through-

    Also there are certain general restrictions

    It is a very complicated issues

    Triggers are usually very poblematic

    regards from Iowa

  5. Joe Potosky

    Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

    Jan 29, 1998
    May not address the trigger question.

    7. An unlicensed person may obtain a permit to import sporting ammunition (excluding armor-piercing, tracer, or incendiary ammunition) and firearm parts (other than frames, receivers, firearm barrels, or barreled actions) without engaging the services of an FFL, provided the items are for personal use and not for resale. Generally, ATF cannot issue a permit authorizing the importation of firearms barrels for nonsporting or surplus military firearms.

    9. The Department of Commerce regulates the exportation of sporting shotguns, shotgun parts, sporting shotgun ammunition, firearm-type accessories and certain parts (e.g. sights, scopes, and mounts). For further information you should contact:

    Department of Commerce

    Bureau of Industry and Security Export Counseling Division

    19th Street & Pennsylvania Ave., NW

    Washington, DC 20230 USA

    Voice (202) 482-4811


Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
export gun part usa
importing full auto rifle

importing gun parts into usa

the department of commerce importation of sporting shotguns