1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim101, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Knob Noster, Mo
    Anyone have any experience with the Selier & bellot, Tula, or Wolf primers for metallic cartridge loading. How do they compare to the us made primers?

Any info will be appreciated.

TIA Jim
  2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2006
    S-E PA
    Selier & Bellot actually made some really nice ammo - I would assume the primers are on par.

Wolf is Russian, but for general reloading they should be fine (I picked up 10K small rifle primers to load for AR's).

Don't know the Tula...

I might point out that they are metric in size and that MAY impact how they sit in the pockets...
  3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    IL(The gun friendly Southern Part)
    I've loaded both. Had the S&B small pistol and loaded them in .40S&W and the Wolf boxer small rifle primers in 5.56mm. I couldn't tell a difference.
  4. locdoc

locdoc Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Antrim, NH
    I recently received 150,000 Magtech (Brazil) small pistol primers. They were GONE in a months time. No negative reports.

While there may be some difference in shotshell primer dimensions, there doesn't appear to be ANY difference in metallic primers.

Also, I have been led to believe that either S&B or Magtech are used in Hornady ammo.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist
  5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I have tried them. In addition to shotgun, I reload all the primer sizes. Wolf and Tula are said to be from the same factory, just different labels. They all went bang. The S&B are good primers, but the cups are a little hard and may not always go bang is a target tuned revolver. Never had an issue with a Semi Auto. When CCI was sold out, I bought a case of Magtech large pistol primers. They work fine in the .45acp, and even held the pressure in the heavy hunting loads for the .44 mag.

25 years ago, imported primers were pretty crummy and most were corrosive. It looks to me like they caught up.

I'll still go back to CCI or Winchester primers as soon as they are available because I am patriotic, even if they cost more. But for function, the foreign primers do the job
Search tags for this page

small pistol primers imported