1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Message from Jim Zumbo

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doctor_Chicago, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

Here is an important message from Jim Zumbo:

Maybe some others here can learn an important lesson.

February 28, 2007

Mr. Alan Gottlieb, Chairman

Citizens Committee for the

Right to Keep and Bear Arms

12500 N.E. Tenth Place

Bellevue, WA 98005

Dear Alan:

They say that hindsight is always 20-20. In my case, hindsight has been a hard teacher, like the father teaching the son a lesson about life in the wood shed.

I was wrong when I recently suggested that wildlife agencies should ban semiautomatic firearms I erroneously called “assault rifles” for hunting. I insulted legions of my fellow gun owners in the process by calling them “terrorist rifles.” I can never apologize enough for having worn blinders when I should have been wearing bifocals.

But unlike those who would destroy the Second Amendment right to own a firearm – any firearm – I have learned from my embarrassing mistake. My error should not be used, as it has been in recent days by our common enemies, in an effort to dangerously erode our right to keep and bear arms.

I would hope instead to use this spotlight to address my hunting fraternity, many of whom shared my erroneous position. I am a hunter and like many others I had the wrong picture in mind. I associated these firearms with military action, and saw not hunting as I have known it, not the killing of a varmint, but the elimination of the entire colony. Nothing could be further from the truth, but I know from whence it comes. This ridiculous image, formed in the blink of an eye, exerts and unconscious effect on all decisions that follow. In seeking to protect our hunting rights by guarding how we are seen in the public eye, I lost sight of the larger picture; missed the forest for the trees.

My own lack of experience was no excuse for ignoring the fact that millions of Americans – people who would share a campfire or the shelter of their tent, and who have hurt nobody – own, hunt with and competitively shoot or collect the kinds of firearms I so easily dismissed.

I recently took a “crash course” on these firearms with Ted Nugent, to learn more about them and to educate myself. In the process, I learned about the very real threat that faces all American gun owners.

I’ve studied up on legislation now in Congress that would renew and dangerously expand a ban on many types of firearms. The bill, HR 1022 sponsored by New York Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, is written so broadly that it would outlaw numerous firearms and accessories, including a folding stock for a Ruger rifle. I understand that some of the language could ultimately take away my timeworn and cherished hunting rifles and shotguns as well as those of all American hunters.

The extremist supporters of HR 1022 don’t want to stop criminals. They want to invent new ones out of people like you and me with the simple stroke of a pen. They will do anything they can to make it impossible for more and more American citizens to legally own any firearm.

Realizing that what I wrote catered to this insidious attack on fellow gun owners has, one might say, “awakened a sleeping giant within me, and filled him with a terrible resolve.”

I made a mistake. But those who would use my remarks to further their despicable political agenda have made a bigger one. I hope to become their worst nightmare. I admit I was wrong. They insist they are right.

Enclosed, you will find a check that is intended to be used to fight and defeat HR 1022. I also hope it inspires other gun owners to “do as I do, not as I say.”

I’m putting my money where my mouth should have been, and where my heart and soul have always been. I know the Second Amendment isn’t about hunting and never has been. My blunder was in thinking that by working to protect precious hunting rights I was doing enough. I promise it will never happen again.

I don’t know what lies over the horizon for me. I am not ready for the rocking chair.

I’m going to devote every ounce of my energy to this battle. I will remind my fellow hunters that we are first, gun owners. Whether we like it or not, our former apathy and prejudices may place that which we love, hunting, in jeopardy. I will educate fellow outdoorsmen who mistakenly think like I talked, even if I have to visit every hunting camp and climb into every duck blind and deer stand in this country to get it done. I was wrong, and I’m going to make it right.

Sincerely,

Jim Zumbo

2. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

This is his second attempt at an apology.

My opinion is, his first attempt reflected what his true beliefs are. But, I do hope he is sincere here.

3. oldcop

oldcop Member

This man has suffered greatly from a remark made in haste, but unfortunately his words have become music to the ears of the anti's. I acknowledge and respect his attempt to put right the damage he has done, and I wish him and all of us well as he makes an attempt to undo the terrible damage that has been done. Unfortunately, this letter he has written cannot help but sound somewhat self-serving, although I'm sure it is not entirely written in that vein. However, as sincere as it may be in its intent, it is somewhat like putting a Band-aid on a sucking chest wound.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Jim Zumbo is desperately trying to salvage his career of getting freebies from guides and hunting & firearms industry manufacturers.<br>
    <br>
    His first 'apology' reeked of insincerity. Apologies don't say things like "yeah, but" and "I'm sorry if what I said offended anyone". That's nothing but an attempt to weasel out of the situation.<br>
    <br>
    This latest 'apology' likely was carefully crafted with the input of Ted Nugent, who has taken Zumbo under his wing, and who is currently calling a lot of solidly pro-Second Amendment supports "anti-gunners", and names I cannot post here. It got so bad that DPMS had to dump Ted Nugent for his fanatical and mouth-foaming support of Zumbo which is starting to be more devisive than what Zumbo did.<br>
    <br>
    I say to hell with Zumbo. He should have thought about that before he spouted off with his anti-gun diatribe against law-abiding gun owners.<br>
    <br>
    Let Zumbo be the sacrificial judas goat to get gunowners to realize anti-gun Fudds like him are not our friends. They only give lip service to the Second Amendment.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

A major screw up will forever be a Zumbo from now on. Just like running into a tree while sking is a Bono. More self serving crap from Zumbo. Let's see how he is doing in three years. I forgive slowly...... Jeff

6. Brian in Oregon

You're right - I don't cut slack... for anti-gunners.

7. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

As to his sincerity, I don't feel that is up to me to be his judge. I will watch his actions for the next few months and beyond before I form an opinion.

As to the letter posted above, at least he is leading with his checkbook in helping to fund a pro gun organization.

8. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Have to throw my two cents' worth in. Brian, most of the time I am in total agreement with what you write. Nobody is more hard-core than I am when it comes to the Second Amendment; it's absolutely not about hunting, it's about resisting tyranny and oppression and I want to be as well-armed as my oppressors if it's going to come to shooting. That's pretty simple.

Having said that, it appears to me that we as shooters are in a position to capitalize from Zumbo's mistake. IF he is sincere in his desire to correct the perception the public got from his statement, his public image is going to help gain him an audience. IF his message from now forward is entirely pro-gun, all kinds of guns, no exceptions, his previous position could get him the ears of hunters-only who believe the way he wrote in the infamous article, and some of them might listen when he says he was mistaken and he wants to tell them how it really is. If he can convert these "middle-grounders" into strong Second Amendment supporters, we as a group will have gained.

Likewise, the anti's seized on what he said earlier, and if ANY of them listen to his "corrected" opinion, it might be possible to convert one or two of them too. What do we have to lose? They're already against us.

For these reasons, I am willing to give the man a chance to redeem himself. As bikerpreacher said, let's watch his actions closely for a while and judge his sincerity after he's had a chance to demonstrate it. Along with Mr. Starks, I've screwed up royally more than once so I know the feeling. Jim Zumbo is in a position to correct his mistake and help our cause at the same time, if that is his true intention. I say he deserves a chance to do so.

For the rest who are making petty remarks about free trips and that crap, get over it. The man made a living writing stuff most of us used to like to read, didn't get well-paid for it, and any perks that came his way in the course of his job are between him, the sponsors, and his conscience. The central issue here is way more important than to warrant this kind of pettiness.

Jerry Wright, also in Oregon

9. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Brian is leading the linch mob. Get rid of the rope.

Come on, simmer down!

Zumbo screwed up, he has admited his mistake, what else do you want now?

Nobody is perfect, now cut the guy some slack.

Berettaman7

10. Brian in Oregon

Jerry, you're a better man than I am, because I'm not interested in forgiving him for calling me a "terrorist". I think his apology is insincere and based purely on economics.<br>
    <br>
    The ONLY way I'd be willing to forgive Zumbo is if he were to PROVE, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that he's had a real change of heart on this. I cannot believe anyone who wrote such poison could change in a week or two.<br>
    <br>
    I think the reports of him being ticked because of nearby prairie dog hunters using an AR15 and making noise that ruined his coyote hunt caused the latent tendancies to come out. If this is so, then his issues are much more deep rooted and there's no way he can be changed of them in a mere two weeks or so.<br>
    <br>
    I think this is truly a case of "time will tell" if his apology is genuine. I'm highly skeptical. Now if Bushmaster, DPMS or Rock River Arms picks him up as a spokesman, then I'd say he had truly turned around.<br>
    <br>
    As for you're idea of turning this around to our political advantage, there is merit in that. It's not a bad idea per se. It could be done. On the principle of what he did, I'm just not interested in that and would rather see him swept into obscurity. Are you right? Am I right? That's something that can only be answered by each individual. Different people see his insult, denigration and libel differently, and they see the damage he did differently, and they see his several apologies differently.<br>
    <br>

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I agree with superxjeff and Brian, time alone will reveal whether or not he's sincere in his many apologies. I'm for forgiveness for ignorance also but only when I see the results, not words. Hap

12. alpine

alpine TS Member

Lets see if Zumbo is still pro 2nd Amendment in a couple of years. He will have to earn that apology. Actions will speak louder than words. Let's see him work to defeat all these "Assault weapons" bans that we will see in the next few years.

13. rich A

rich A TS Member

Jim Zumbo! Over the years this outdoor writer earned his way to being one of the top outdoor writers. He destroyed that in a single moment of outrage. Now he is about to engage in a new writing career. Devoting his entire being to furthering our Second Amendment rights. Let him earn his way to the top again, devoting the time and effort it takes to get there. Only then can I say his I'am sorry and I made a mistake be acceptable. Judge him by his deeds.

For now I am going to put him to the bottom of the list of what is important. We know the damage he did. Let's not be the ones to continully bring it to the fore front.

Until he earns his way back I will object to any sponsership he receives.

Dick

14. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Zumbo made his bed, now unfortunetly for him, he will have to lie in it. He is no worse than several I have seen on here who make excuses for, or out support whacko commie gun restrictions and ban in places like New York, Calif. Mass, etc. where honest citizens are branded as "criminals" simply for possessing a certain type of firearm and unconstitutional restricted in many other cases involving guns. In the case of the 2nd Amendment THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROWND! You are one side or the other!

15. samme_no2

samme_no2 Member

I believe that Zumbo is serious about his apology, now lets forgive and watch his actions. I can forgive, that is easy, it is the forgetting that is hard. Harry

16. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

I make it a point to stay out of these types of discussion on ts.com, but this one bothers me. I was one of the folks who left the NRA for years thanks to Wayne LaPierre’ “jack-booted thugs” comment in 1995. It took me many years for me to finally come back to the NRA when I realized that as much as I felt and still feel that LePierre’s comments did more damage than good, protection of our Second Amendment rights means more. The same thing applies to shooters’ reaction to Jim Zumbo’s comments. Face it, he got stuck of stupid and he realizes it. I don’t care of his wake up call came from the economic realities or the dialog of friends. If you don’t want to read a word he says, have at it. But the bottom line is that at this point, the more we as shooters act like a bunch of unforgiving, gun-totting rednecks, the more the anti gun crowd benefits. Eating our own, does nothing but hurt our cause.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Even Jesus was able to forgive

18. trench12

trench12 TS Member

Hmmmm- sounds like his unpopular views are starting to cut into his income. Follow the money no matter where it goes. $$$$$

19. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I have to accept his apology. I haven't been so perfect in life that I have never had to ask for forgiveness. If a man can admit he's wrong and that he made a mistake, that is all he can do about the past.

I doubt most sponsors are going to flock back to his side either way.

all the best,
    john

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I really think the guy is sincere and realized the error in his thinking...why not give him a chance and if he's true to his word, then accept his apology...actions speak louder than words..theres not a soul here who hasn't had their eyes opened to the truth that happened to be 180 degrees from what they formerly thought on some subject...all we need to do is sit back and see, and it won't cost us a thing but an open mind

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.